Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 11:22 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,910,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Rules? I just speak in tongues or pray in tongues, whatever it is called, period...with amazing results...just amazing to me.
And, what would those 'amazing results' be, Miss Hepburn? Please explain how babbling into the air where no one can understand you - INCLUDING YOURSELF - can possibly be 'amazing'. Claiming to being 'possessed' by some unknown entity would be quite unnerving for some of us. I was involved in social work some years back and I came across people now and again who suffered from varying degrees of schizophrenia. One such person knew that I was a church-goer at the time and, during a lucid moment, he asked if I spoke in tongues. I told him that I didn't and he said that he was glad. He told me that he'd been to a church where they would do strange and disturbing things, things that included babbling. "And they call ME schizophrenic!" he added.

Quote:
No one has to believe me... Don't care.
Oh, I DO believe you. I don't think that ANYONE has said that people don't babble. They clearly do!

Quote:
Maybe some babble... don't care about them, either.
The truth is ...I don't much care either since I would not dream of setting foot in any church that practiced or encouraged this kind of pointless and embarrassing behavior to begin with. What DOES bother me about this practice, however, is the EMPHASIS that MANY 'charismatics' place on this form of 'babble' (which is WHAT it is!) and attribute this to an infilling of the Holy Spirit which not only ASSURES their salvation but does so TO THE EXCLUSION of those many more Christians that DON'T participate in this foolishness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 11:35 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,046,109 times
Quote:
Rules? I just speak in tongues or pray in tongues, whatever it is called, period...with
amazing results...just amazing to me. No one has to believe me... Don't care.

Funny isn't it? The TRUE liberty of the Spirit comes to you and everyone wants to take it from you.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
And, what would those 'amazing results' be, Miss Hepburn? Please explain how babbling into the air where no one can understand you - INCLUDING YOURSELF - can possibly be 'amazing'. Claiming to being 'possessed' by some unknown entity would be quite unnerving for some of us. I was involved in social work some years back and I came across people now and again who suffered from varying degrees of schizophrenia. One such person knew that I was a church-goer at the time and, during a lucid moment, he asked if I spoke in tongues. I told him that I didn't and he said that he was glad. He told me that he'd been to a church where they would do strange and disturbing things, things that included babbling. "And they call ME schizophrenic!" he added.

Oh, I DO believe you. I don't think that ANYONE has said that people don't babble. They clearly do!

The truth is ...I don't much care either since I would not dream of setting foot in any church that practiced or encouraged this kind of pointless and embarrassing behavior to begin with. What DOES bother me about this practice, however, is the EMPHASIS that MANY 'charismatics' place on this form of 'babble' (which is WHAT it is!) and attribute this to an infilling of the Holy Spirit which not only ASSURES their salvation but does so TO THE EXCLUSION of those many more Christians that DON'T participate in this foolishness!

And that's YOUR loss. You have NO IDEA what you are missing by disobeying G-d's word, and thereby grieving HIS SPIRIT, and that's sad. Peace

Old 05-24-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
So, we're supposed to believe that the Holy Spirit gives some insignificant message in supposed 'angel language' and then the 'interpreter' translates that trivial message into English, is that the way it works?

Now, using my God-given brain, my logical question to this 'Holy Spirit' would HAVE to be ..."Why play the silly games, HS, why not give this rather 'zero' message in English to begin with ...?"

My next question would be, "How come God created so many stupid people?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
The first little girl is praying in tongues, but that's not the gift of interpretation of tongues, it's word of knowledge. And while these messages may look trivial, the gifts have the ability to transform lives overnight, depending on the messages, obviously.
So, the 'gift of tongues' also includes promises to individuals (in convenient ENGLISH you will notice!) of a new car, a new house, etc. and we're all supposed to soak this up like sponges without question? Are you really this gullible, Rbbi1, or are you now playing along just for the sake of it?

Quote:
The second little girl asked for a spiritual gift, and she got it, and it was interpretation of tongues, as she said. She said she heard in English what the Spirit was saying through another girl who was praying in tongues ...
Well, glory be! It appears that I DO have the gift of interpretation. The Holy Spirit is confirming what I always suspected ...that what I witnessed in the videos is a load of codswallop!

Quote:
Perfectly scriptural; that's how it works, and that's how it worked on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2
Excuse me? Perfectly scriptural? This IS precisely NOT the way it worked on the day of Pentecost! By golly, you 'tongue speakers' will use pretty much anything at your disposal in attempts to justify meaningless babble!

Quote:
He meets us where we're at in our faith and maturity, both natural and spiritual, and these children as young as they are, likely would not be given any major detailed earth shattering messages.
There is nothing 'holy' going on with your corrupt version of 'tongue-speaking', Rbbi1. How do I know? Well, discernment and a huge dose of plain common sense plays a huge part, coupled with an accurate interpretation of scripture that has SO misled SO many!

Quote:
This is the way He structured His speaking gifts, you'll have to ask Him why. My guess is because it's for BODY ministry. Peace
"You'll have to ask Him why." That's a 'holy shrug', I guess. Just another slice of Pentecostal rhetoric when no intellectual answer is forthcoming.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Rules? I just speak in tongues or pray in tongues, whatever it is called, period...with
amazing results...just amazing to me. No one has to believe me... Don't care.
Quote:
Funny isn't it? The TRUE liberty of the Spirit comes to you and everyone wants to take it from you.
Well, I don't know that anyone is actually trying to take anything away from you, Rbbi1. You can babble into the air until the cows come home but please don't continue along the deceptive line that it's scriptural to do so. Okay?

Old 05-24-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
And that's YOUR loss. You have NO IDEA what you are missing by disobeying G-d's word, and thereby grieving HIS SPIRIT, and that's sad. Peace
So, we finally have it from you, Rbbi1. What you are saying here is that 'non-tongue speakers' (or those who don't speak 'in tongues') are committing 'the unforgivable sin' and are therefore 'lost' ...correct? 'Grieving the Spirit' IS 'the unforgivable sin' spoken of by, of all people, Jesus. If this is your belief - which I've suspected ever since our initial dialog on this topic - then I'm sure that every professed Christian on this board who doesn't 'speak in tongues' will be thrilled to know that they are hell-bound. Hell IS the consequence for 'the lost' according to mainstream Christianity, is it not, Rbbi1?

Such misuse of scripture is why the cult of 'tongue-speaking' fanatics must be called out for this practice. It goes beyond a mere patronizing wink and a "there go those silly charismatics again with their gibberish" comment from most Christians. This unscriptural practice takes on a much more sinister tone when used to demean others. And, demeaning others is precisely what many of these people are doing.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
So, we finally have it from you, Rbbi1. What you are saying here is that 'non-tongue speakers' (or those who don't speak 'in tongues') are committing 'the unforgivable sin' and are therefore 'lost' ...correct? 'Grieving the Spirit' IS 'the unforgivable sin' spoken of by, of all people, Jesus. If this is your belief - which I've suspected ever since our initial dialog on this topic - then I'm sure that every professed Christian on this board who doesn't 'speak in tongues' will be thrilled to know that they are hell-bound. Hell IS the consequence for 'the lost' according to mainstream Christianity, is it not, Rbbi1?

Such misuse of scripture is why the cult of 'tongue-speaking' fanatics must be called out for this practice. It goes beyond a mere patronizing wink and a "there go those silly charismatics again with their gibberish" comment from most Christians. This unscriptural practice takes on a much more sinister tone when used to demean others. And, demeaning others is precisely what many of these people are doing.

You just keep lying and twisting things to suit your preconceived ideas, don't you? Grieving the Spirit is NOT the "unforgivable sin", and I've already said it's not a prerequisite for salvation, NOR does it mean you're "going to hell" if you don't do it. There; now this is about the 3rd time at least I've said this to you, will it stick now or will you continue your smear campaign to try to distract from the fact you're just plain WRONG about EVERYTHING you think about tongues. Peace

Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't know that anyone is actually trying to take anything away from you, Rbbi1. You can babble into the air until the cows come home but please don't continue along the deceptive line that it's scriptural to do so. Okay?

No, I WILL continue along that line because it IS scriptural to do so. Forbid not to speak in tongues. Peace

Old 05-24-2017, 10:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
And, what would those 'amazing results' be, Miss Hepburn?
Please explain how babbling into the air where no one can understand you -
INCLUDING YOURSELF - can possibly be 'amazing'.
!
If you had asked me nicely I would have.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:05 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
The big difference between you and Miss Hepburn, is that on the "The 3 ABSOLUTES we all must face" thread she said the following:

Quote:
Here would be my 3 Absolutes Truths...
1. The base of all Reality is Love almost ...no, completely unimaginable to our little pea brains....we do not know the breadth or the depth or the length of....
2. Well, actually I don't have 2 others.
Miss Hepburn, post #3, "The 3 ABSOLUTES we must all face"

The Spirit in me hears the Spirit in her! See???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US5-d1ruAfg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity