U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2018, 08:49 PM
 
34 posts, read 10,700 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So I'm assuming you believe that when Jesus told His Apostles to touch him and feel that He had a physical body, He was... lying to them? playing a trick on them? What?
That's a later development. Paul, Mark, and Matthew left out that amazing story. This data is consistent with legendary growth.

 
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 PM
 
34 posts, read 10,700 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
And by the way, my OP on this thread refutes the claim that Paul taught a non-bodily resurrection.
You're arguing against a straw man then. Nowhere did I argue that the resurrection was "not bodily." I'm arguing that it was a "spiritual body" in heaven experienced through visions, not a physically resurrected corpse that could be touched. The "spiritual body" Paul is speaking of was made of a different substance (not flesh and blood - 1 Cor 15:50) but it was believed to be "physical" in that it was made out of some sort of heavenly material. Unfortunately for you guys though, Paul is the earliest and only firsthand source and he only gives evidence for spiritual encounters of the Risen Christ. This, in no way, supports a physical resurrection. You're just anachronistically reading in your knowledge of the later empty tomb and physical encounters that come from the gospels.

Last edited by KnowMoreThanYou; 01-13-2018 at 09:15 PM..
 
Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,267 posts, read 20,878,318 times
Reputation: 9951
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowMoreThanYou View Post
That's a later development. Paul, Mark, and Matthew left out that amazing story. This data is consistent with legendary growth.
Gotcha. Okay. Well, to each his own. I definitely believe in a literal, physical resurrection. This is not to say that our bodies will be mortal in nature, because they won't be. They will be glorified, immortal bodies, sustained not by blood but by spirit. They will no longer be subject to disease, deformity or death.
 
Old 01-13-2018, 09:18 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,647,071 times
Reputation: 7408
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowMoreThanYou View Post
You're arguing against a straw man then. Nowhere did I argue that the resurrection was "not bodily." I'm arguing that it was a "spiritual body" in heaven experienced through visions, not a physically resurrected corpse that could be touched. The "spiritual body" Paul is speaking of was made of a different substance (not flesh and blood - 1 Cor 15:50) so it was believed to be "physical" in that it was made out of some sort of heavenly material. Unfortunately for you guys though, Paul is the earliest and only firsthand source and he only gives evidence for spiritual encounters of the Risen Christ. This, in no way, supports a physical resurrection. You're just anachronistically reading in your knowledge of the later empty tomb and physical encounters that come from the gospels.
Actually, you argued that the resurrection was not physical. The empty tomb and the other details provided in the Gospels prove that it was physical. And the bulk of your argument depends on the Gospels being late dated which you simply cannot prove and therefore your argument is invalidated on that point alone.

And no, Paul did not present a spiritual resurrection. Paul was a Jew and the Jewish view of resurrection was physical, not spiritual. Your's is simply an old argument which scholars have addressed.

Now, since your thread was closed in which you presented your argument, it can't be discussed here without this thread also being closed. I replied to your thread in a new thread over on the Religion forum. If you're going to argue your case you'll have to do so over there.
 
Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 PM
 
34 posts, read 10,700 times
Reputation: 19
I've already posted in the R&S forum. If you want to claim the resurrection wasn't spiritual then can you please find me a passage where Paul says the Risen Jesus was experienced in a way that was not a vision? Also, where does he say the Risen Jesus walked around on earth (as opposed to being immediately exalted to heaven)? Feel free to answer here or in the other thread in the R&S forum.
 
Old 01-13-2018, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Land of the Caddo and Tonkawa
3,915 posts, read 1,476,586 times
Reputation: 5475
This posting back and forth for the same subject, across multiple forums, is dizzying, not to mention bizarre.
 
Old 01-14-2018, 12:33 AM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,647,071 times
Reputation: 7408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This posting back and forth for the same subject, across multiple forums, is dizzying, not to mention bizarre.
One of the threads will probably be closed or merged, or deleted. Since my thread was posted first on that forum it's his thread that should be closed.

He just stated on his thread in the religion forum in post #24 that he believes that Christianity is false. He should have made that clear at the beginning and I wouldn't have bothered with him. On the other hand, I provided information for those who are objective that the Bible teaches a physical resurrection.

Well, I think I'm done here.
 
Old 01-14-2018, 05:31 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
10,277 posts, read 10,386,377 times
Reputation: 6937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So I'm assuming you believe that when Jesus told His Apostles to touch him and feel that He had a physical body, He was... lying to them? playing a trick on them? What?
Apparently, this is an unbeliever trying to stir up trouble in the Christianity forum. We'll close this thread. He's new here, and probably won't be around very long.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top