Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 07:58 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,166,420 times

Advertisements

I say "job" tongue in cheek there are NO works that will get you saved on your own....so it's faith + NOTHING that gets us saved if we believe the gospel that Paul was given in 1Cor 15:1-4.....but afterward then what? You will hear everything under the sun but it's really pretty simple.....Jesus tells us we are to tell the world while we do all of our other "good works" (not for salvation but out of Love for what Jesus has ALREADY done for us) to be reconciled to Him......a book keeping term. We are all to be so well versed in the Bible we are ready with an answer when its asked. No fumbling around but a clear logical reasoned answer why we believe and why they should too. For years I sat in church thinking if somebody wanted to get saved I would have to take them to the Pastor.....I imagine that is not a strange concept clear across this land.....it's the Pastor's job we pay him for to save people.....no it isn't....it's Your job, and from what I've seen in the denominations (been in many groups) you can't even be sure your Pastor is saved.

I almost cried one morning when I was listening to a radio show in LA a few years ago with a layman call in Christian answers show. This woman calls in very upset and says she has doubts she is really saved and it is tormenting her.....she is practically begging this guy to settle it once and for all and drive a stake in it and finish it for her......I am practically yelling at the radio "just get her saved right here right now"......but he sat there and mumbled on about good works and finding a church blah blah blah..........it was the last time I listened to the show. No credibility there.....get yourself ready and have an answer prepared.....whatever you are comfortable with, the Roman Road or some such list of verses that you can handle easily.......leading up to the gospel of grace of course.

2Co 5:18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation;
2Co 5:19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.
2Co 5:20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
2Co 5:21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Notice we are not sheep any longer but Ambassadors for Christ so handle yourself like one, those in Christ are no longer citizens of this earth but of heaven. We are just passing through....

Who do we follow according to the book?

1Co 11:1 Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

1Co 4:15 For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
1Co 4:16 I urge you, then, be imitators of me.
1Co 4:17 That is why I sent you Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, to remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach them everywhere in every church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:12 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
I find according to Matthew 24:13 we are Not saved here and now because we are to 'endure to the end' in order to be saved.
( endure to the end of one's life, or endure faithful until the soon coming ' time of separation ' on Earth of Matthew 25:31-33,37 )
We are in a saved condition as long as we express faith as Jesus did, but like the people of Hebrews 6:4-6 we can fall away.
Anyone who commits the unforgivable sin (Matt. 12:32) will Not be forgiven now or in the world ( Jesus'1,000-year reign over Earth) to come.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:58 PM

88 posts, read 36,742 times
"No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born from above. No one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and spirit" (Jesus and the Father)

Old 07-14-2017, 07:56 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find according to Matthew 24:13 we are Not saved here and now because we are to 'endure to the end' in order to be saved.
( endure to the end of one's life, or endure faithful until the soon coming ' time of separation ' on Earth of Matthew 25:31-33,37 )
We are in a saved condition as long as we express faith as Jesus did, but like the people of Hebrews 6:4-6 we can fall away.
Anyone who commits the unforgivable sin (Matt. 12:32) will Not be forgiven now or in the world ( Jesus'1,000-year reign over Earth) to come.
Actually, Hebrews 6:4-6 teaches the exact opposite.

Have you never backslidden? Never sinned? If so, according to your reading of Hebrews 6, you have lost your salvation because you turned away from God. But it's pointing out that IF that were the case, there would be no salvation for you -- because you would have to recrucify him. You don't need to be forgiven over and over again.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:40 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
I say "job" tongue in cheek there are NO works that will get you saved on your own....so it's faith + NOTHING that gets us saved if we believe the gospel that Paul was given in 1Cor 15:1-4.....but afterward then what? You will hear everything under the sun but it's really pretty simple.....Jesus tells us we are to tell the world while we do all of our other "good works" (not for salvation but out of Love for what Jesus has ALREADY done for us) to be reconciled to Him......a book keeping term. We are all to be so well versed in the Bible we are ready with an answer when its asked. No fumbling around but a clear logical reasoned answer why we believe and why they should too. For years I sat in church thinking if somebody wanted to get saved I would have to take them to the Pastor.....I imagine that is not a strange concept clear across this land.....it's the Pastor's job we pay him for to save people.....no it isn't....it's Your job, and from what I've seen in the denominations (been in many groups) you can't even be sure your Pastor is saved.

I almost cried one morning when I was listening to a radio show in LA a few years ago with a layman call in Christian answers show. This woman calls in very upset and says she has doubts she is really saved and it is tormenting her.....she is practically begging this guy to settle it once and for all and drive a stake in it and finish it for her......I am practically yelling at the radio "just get her saved right here right now"......but he sat there and mumbled on about good works and finding a church blah blah blah..........it was the last time I listened to the show. No credibility there.....get yourself ready and have an answer prepared.....whatever you are comfortable with, the Roman Road or some such list of verses that you can handle easily.......leading up to the gospel of grace of course.
Doubt is the sad result which comes from the Reformed \ Baptistic emphasis of "decision theology".

Last edited by twin.spin; 07-14-2017 at 08:51 AM..

Old 07-14-2017, 09:09 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Doubt is the sad result which comes from the Reformed \ Baptistic emphasis of "decision theology".
I think you might be confused. Nothing about Reformed theology could be defined a "decision theology".

Old 07-14-2017, 03:39 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
I almost cried one morning when I was listening to a radio show in LA a few years ago with a layman call in Christian answers show. This woman calls in very upset and says she has doubts she is really saved and it is tormenting her.....she is practically begging this guy to settle it once and for all and drive a stake in it and finish it for her
The bold is the fault of the "save yourself" doctrine of the mainstream churches. They say out of one side of their mouth that Jesus and ONLY Jesus saved us. Then they say out of the other side that we must save ourselves by believing the right things and accepting Jesus as our Savior. Either Jesus saved us, as I believe, or He didn't. We have nothing to do with it. Our only job is to achieve sanctification under His perfect agape love (Grace) for us all by loving God and each other every day and repenting when we don't. Salvation is NOT our problem, sanctification for our imperfections IS.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The bold is the fault of the "save yourself" doctrine of the mainstream churches. They say out of one side of their mouth that Jesus and ONLY Jesus saved us. Then they say out of the other side that we must save ourselves by believing the right things and accepting Jesus as our Savior. Either Jesus saved us, as I believe, or He didn't. We have nothing to do with it. Our only job is to achieve sanctification under His perfect agape love (Grace) for us all by loving God and each other every day and repenting when we don't. Salvation is NOT our problem, sanctification for our imperfections IS.
Jesus' blood covers all according to 1 John 1:7 but because Not all will accept Jesus so that is why Matthew 20:28 says Jesus' ransom covers MANY and does Not say all. Yes, 'repent' so as Not to 'perish' (be destroyed) - 2nd Peter 3:9
We need to endure to the end in order to be saved according to Jesus' words at Matthew 24:13.
Either endure to one's death, or endure to the coming separating time of Matthew 25:31-33,37.
Those humble figurative 'sheep' will be 'saved/ delivered/ rescued' through the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14.
Saved alive right into the start of calendar Day One of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth begins.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, Hebrews 6:4-6 teaches the exact opposite.
Have you never backslidden? Never sinned? If so, according to your reading of Hebrews 6, you have lost your salvation because you turned away from God. But it's pointing out that IF that were the case, there would be no salvation for you -- because you would have to recrucify him. You don't need to be forgiven over and over again.
Isn't Hebrews 6:4-6 rather talking about those who ' shrink back ', so to speak, and Not repent.
Can't one 'draw back unto destruction' according to Hebrews 10:39.
What was Paul's concern at 1st Corinthians 9:27 if once saved always saved.
What did Jesus teach about salvation at Matthew 24:13 about endurance.
So, there is a BIG difference between backsliding or never sinning and committing the un-forgivable sin.
Is the unforgivable sin of Matthew 12:32 forgivable ? _______
If forgivable, then why are the wicked to be 'destroyed forever' according to Psalm 92:7

Old 07-14-2017, 10:59 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Jesus' blood covers all according to 1 John 1:7 but because Not all will accept Jesus so that is why Matthew 20:28 says Jesus' ransom covers MANY and does Not say all. Yes, 'repent' so as Not to 'perish' (be destroyed) - 2nd Peter 3:9
We need to endure to the end in order to be saved according to Jesus' words at Matthew 24:13.
Either endure to one's death, or endure to the coming separating time of Matthew 25:31-33,37.
Those humble figurative 'sheep' will be 'saved/ delivered/ rescued' through the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14.
Saved alive right into the start of calendar Day One of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth begins.
For some reason, you seem to need to believe that not everyone is saved by what Jesus did and a litany other magical theology about Jesus and the future. I do NOT. I believe that Jesus saved us all from permanent separation from God and that we only need to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't to gain the cover of His perfect love (Grace) for our imperfections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity