Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 06:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,386,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If you wanted to discuss it, you would begin with loving God and your neighbor as yourself.
Not by throwing a rule book at people, saying they are eternally damn, if they don't believe it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You kind of like playing that card, don't you? It's all you've got. You accuse us of rule books, blah blah blah.

What's ironic is that you don't even recognize that Jesus said that the fulfillment of the LAW was to love God and your neighbor. So while condemning the Law, you don't even realize that your religion is based on the Law.

Again...good for you! You may as well be a pharisee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
In this instance here, the person I'm speaking to doesn't even pretend to be a Christian. So I'm not sure your point here.
There is nothing in the law that says one shall suffer infinitely for a finite crime. If there is - cough it up and I will surely respond to it? Eternal damnation is a fallacy, and I do not believe in the "get out of jail" free card, either. Furthermore, I have never made a pretense of being a fundamentalist (ever), nor would I. And believing in the Bible doesn't make you Christlike, either. Especially, when you operate outside of the Spirit of the law which isn't even remotely close to any form of justice. At best, it would be "cruel and unusual" punishment.

Last edited by Jerwade; 08-22-2017 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,722,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
What has been taught in Christianity for 2,000 years is what gospel writer Luke wrote forewarning us at Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30 that false shepherds would be fleecing the flock of God. ( fleecing with false teachings just being taught as Scripture but Not really Scripture - Matthew 15:9 )
That ties in with Jesus' illustration about how the genuine ' wheat ' Christians would grow together over the centuries with the fake ' weed/tares' Christians until the Harvest Time, or the soon coming ' time of separation ' on Earth as found at Matthew 25:31-33,37. So, it is No wonder that in Matthew chapter 7 Jesus warned that MANY would come ' in his name' but prove false.
oh, I agree. And its those who don't display the same degree of love, forgiveness, and acceptance that Jesus lived and preached who are the tares!

Old 08-22-2017, 07:26 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,052,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
oh, I agree. And its those who don't display the same degree of love, forgiveness, and acceptance that Jesus lived and preached who are the tares!

PEOPLE are NOT tares. Matt. 13 parable of the wheat and the tares, please notice that both are planted in the SAME FIELD, called the "world", where the good seed is also planted (in us). Peace

Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,934,911 times
36Then he left the crowd and went into the house. His disciples came to him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field.”

37He answered, “The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. 38The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil one, 39and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:31 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,052,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
36Then he left the crowd and went into the house. His disciples came to him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field.”

37He answered, “The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. 38The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil one, 39and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.

So then, you're in agreement then that PEOPLE get gathered up and cast into the fire in the end of the world? The word used there is one of 3 words used for "son" and can even mean the offspring of animals (= carnal beastly natures), like a foal. Also notice, that it says these things are gathered up out of His KINGDOM. Where is His kingdom? Is it not in you? Where is the good seed planted and Who is it? Peace

Old 08-22-2017, 09:00 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,814,617 times
Quote:

Holman Christian Standard Bible
the field is the world; and the good seed--these are the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one,

King James Bible
The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

Old 08-22-2017, 09:27 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,722,856 times
Quote:

Nate, the fundamentalists are blind when their arguments are torn down by the Scripture they glorify above the Son of God!

Great post, too soon, but

Quote:
PEOPLE are NOT tares.
post #383

Quote:
The Tares: Again, in verse 38, Jesus explains, "The tares are the children of the wicked one." In this case also, "children" should be "sons." These are the heirs of their father, the wicked one, who is identified in verse 39. They are heirs of the same fire as their father (Revelation 20:10, 15). I will mention here that "tares" in the King James Version is translated from zizania. A better translation is "darnel" or "cockle." Specifically, Jesus was likely referring to Lolium temulentum, a type of ryegrass (not to be confused with rye) that looks very much like wheat the entire time it is growing until near harvest season. At that time, the seed heads look different. It is also interesting that the seeds of Lolium temulentum contain a poisonous drug that can be fatal.
The Parable of the Tares of the Field

While I personally believe there is a "hell," I also believe it will be pretend christians who tout their specialness to God and their positions with God for whom the fires are lit when those people should be humbling themselves and sitting next to the rest of us sinners in grateful thankfulness for the love of God. They brag about His punishment because they've never found His love. And they don't bother to read Scripture either--just make assumptions about it as in post#383

For all my many shortcomings and failures, and for all my sinfulness, I feel sorry for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2vaBXwvVsU

And yet it is not for us to divide the wheat from the tares.
Quote:
In addition, we are not to take it upon ourselves to uproot unbelievers because the difference between true and false believers isn’t always obvious. Tares, especially in the early stages of growth, resemble wheat. Likewise, a false believer may resemble a true believer. In Matthew 7:22, Jesus warned that many profess faith but do not know Him. Thus, each person should examine his own relationship with Christ (2 Corinthians 13:5). First John is an excellent test of salvation.
https://www.gotquestions.org/parable-wheat-tares.html

Last edited by Wardendresden; 08-22-2017 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 09:30 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,934,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
PEOPLE are NOT tares. Matt. 13 parable of the wheat and the tares, please notice that both are planted in the SAME FIELD, called the "world", where the good seed is also planted (in us). Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
So then, you're in agreement then that PEOPLE get gathered up and cast into the fire in the end of the world? The word used there is one of 3 words used for "son" and can even mean the offspring of animals (= carnal beastly natures), like a foal. Also notice, that it says these things are gathered up out of His KINGDOM. Where is His kingdom? Is it not in you? Where is the good seed planted and Who is it? Peace
You are the one who does the exposition of "inerrant scripture," but you don't seem to have read it.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
You are the one who does the exposition of "inerrant scripture," but you don't seem to have read it.
Sorry I got sidetracked.

But this is a subject that I did try to bring up for conversation in another thread. Which no one felt like adding in anything, except a few posters. So yet again I've grown to learn the Lord's faithfullnes in circumstances of fellowship as His substance is provided.

If someone where to put the parables in order. Wouldn't they first think on the parable of the good soil?
What's more, Christ spoke of plants other than wheat.
Which reminds me of something I heard in the scripture about those in the field boasting to those in the Forest.

Good soil.

But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

Last edited by pinacled; 08-22-2017 at 10:22 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
https://bible.org/seriespage/25-para...ils-luke-84-21

I enjoyed the excerpt, "Cloud"?

In other words, Jesus is encouraging His audience to listen and to heed His teaching, while He is also telling His disciples that the parables He uses are designed to “cloud” the truth, rather than to clarify it, to conceal the truth, rather than to reveal it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity