Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 04:53 AM

1 posts, read 413 times

Advertisements

I wanted some advice on celebrating Christmas this year, I know it's a little early! This is my first year as a Christian, but my parents and sisters are not Christian. I am talking to them about Jesus and sharing my story with them, but it's taking some time. However, I have been fortunate enough to find a wonderful church family, who would definitely welcome me in their home for Christmas.

I really want to celebrate Christmas honoring God, and making Jesus the focus, which he should be! I'm not sure if I should plan to celebrate Christmas with my parents or my church family. My parents live in a different state, so unfortunately I can't see both for Christmas. But I could visit my parents a different time, like January. I need to plan ahead of time if I want to take time off from work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! For the first time, I really want to spend the Christmas season loving Jesus with all I have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 05:45 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,259,123 times
But a really nice tree, get some Hallmark ornaments and place lots of gifts under the tree.

You'r welcome..

Old 11-08-2017, 06:32 AM

1,196 posts, read 755,437 times
question... could you love Jesus..." with all you have" if it wasn't Christmas? and during the Christmas holidays, what are your plans, since you say it would basically be about Jesus. i mean what will you do or plan to do that shows your celebration is ONLY about Jesus? and can you do it without the Christmas trees, wreaths, etc.? lastly what is the reason why you want to love him especially in this month? just curious

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-08-2017 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: Removed extraeneous quote tags

Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,941,088 times
Christmas is a family holiday. If your family celebrates the holiday in the traditional way with a family get together and meal, exchanging presents, you should spend it with them. In that case, and if they are willing to hear it you can share what you think of the reason for the season.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:11 AM

33,321 posts, read 26,524,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope_415 View Post
I wanted some advice on celebrating Christmas this year, I know it's a little early! This is my first year as a Christian, but my parents and sisters are not Christian. I am talking to them about Jesus and sharing my story with them, but it's taking some time. However, I have been fortunate enough to find a wonderful church family, who would definitely welcome me in their home for Christmas.

I really want to celebrate Christmas honoring God, and making Jesus the focus, which he should be! I'm not sure if I should plan to celebrate Christmas with my parents or my church family. My parents live in a different state, so unfortunately I can't see both for Christmas. But I could visit my parents a different time, like January. I need to plan ahead of time if I want to take time off from work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! For the first time, I really want to spend the Christmas season loving Jesus with all I have!
I think you should celebrate Christmas with your parents and sisters. Since they live in a different state you probably don't see them that often and Christmas is a great time of the year to spend time with your family. You should understand also that while Christmas is a 'Christian' holiday it isn't really a Biblical holiday. No where in the Bible are we told to celebrate the birth of Jesus. We don't even know when He was actually born. There's nothing at all wrong about celebrating Christmas, but I'm trying to point out that if in your heart you are honoring Jesus during Christmas then it doesn't matter with who you spend the holiday. But if you and your parents and sisters are a close knit family then in my opinion you should spend Christmas with them since you probably don't see them that often.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:50 AM

1,259 posts, read 565,905 times
Quote:

I feel that celebrating Christmas is a SIN! We can't build our own towers to heaven in order to worship God in our own manner. God tells us how He is to be honored/worshipped. He didn't leave His Temple design and manners of operations to us to decide.

I don't worship my birthday, my children's birthday or anyone else - especially not Jesus birthday. Ask yourself, why would anyone worship someone's birthday who is not born? (Is God born?) Is His Spirit born?

Jesus was not even born in December.

Also consider all those "Christians" that claim to be "born again" and yet do they celebrate that day each year? You'll see hypocrisy and ignorance is rampent in "Christianity". You see if someone is born again then that means they have receive the same Spirit as Christ has.

Celebrating Christmas is a Sin! I wish those "Christians" would wake up and realize this.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:02 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
I feel that celebrating Christmas is a SIN! ...
Celebrating Christmas is a Sin! I wish those "Christians" would wake up and realize this.
Don't celebrate then. You certainly have that right. But why do you need other people to agree with you that it's a sin? So that you won't feel alone in not celebrating?

Old 11-08-2017, 09:16 AM

33,321 posts, read 26,524,660 times
Quote:
I feel that celebrating Christmas is a SIN! We can't build our own towers to heaven in order to worship God in our own manner. God tells us how He is to be honored/worshipped. He didn't leave His Temple design and manners of operations to us to decide.

I don't worship my birthday, my children's birthday or anyone else - especially not Jesus birthday. Ask yourself, why would anyone worship someone's birthday who is not born? (Is God born?) Is His Spirit born?

Also consider all those "Christians" that claim to be "born again" and yet do they celebrate that day each year? You'll see hypocrisy and ignorance is rampent in "Christianity". You see if someone is born again then that means they have receive the same Spirit as Christ has.

The OP didn't ask for a debate or for opinions on whether Christmas should be celebrated. She asked for advice concerning with whom she should spend Christmas.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:18 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,736,008 times
Quote:

yep/ well just to let you know that as a family we stopped celebrating worldly holidays 20+ years ago.. and my family was maddddd crazy mad at us / so if I had the money then
this is how I would have done it differently in order to change my families focus.. and with the greater family as a whole .... / so you could start giving Jesus a "Xmas" present in your families name to a charity for their or your choices..and do it through the year, as you studied his feasts... ... I would take the kids COOK and have them serve the homeless dinner and maybe get them all gloves or something like socks during the winter holiday months and the kids would do the cooking and serving and passing out of presents "looking for the angels" ........ and I would pay for it .. that would be how we celebrated "christ=mas" experiences with our family are so much richer then getting stuff no one can afford.
but that is how I would have done it different if we had some money to work with .

mostly because this and other verses

Heb 13:2
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

I would put a huge banner of this verse in my house as the NEW theme for the season... as even mary and Joseph needed help from strangers and kindness from inn keepers.. so that is how I would change the greedy focus created by retailers to make sales increase.
and so that is how I would change the focus to outwardly instead of feeding selfishness and greed inside the family.
I would slowly ( not quickly start celebrating biblical holy days) bit by bit. making sure that each was an Experience then . there is plenty of room for gifts and presents to kids during HIS feasts..

and you are safe to celebrate Channukah instead of christmas when the whole family agrees Channukah is way more fun ( because you made it more fun, games and poker tournaments using chocolates and candies , card parties and little gifts and small toy hunts ( to find the spirit of wisdom, or light , His word , His truth , lessons on these subject common too Channukkah/feasts themes ) celebrating what Jesus said in each of his feasts ) WE are celebrating Jesus in his feasts! he is the POINT ! but once the family likes the biblical feasts better .. you then just move serving food to homeless to "THE feast" of Tabernacles which all nations will go to Israel for all time. and the pots of food in every house will be HOLY to God and all people share food ! and probably Jesus Real Birthday from Mary in those holy days somewhere.
this is how I would have done it differently if I had the place and money to do it . when I had the money I did do some of these things but not every year did we have the money or the right house to do what I wish I could have done .

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 11-08-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 11-08-2017, 09:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,640,515 times
Quote:

I dont think celebrating Christmas in general is a sin, but the modern day christmas, I would say is more blasphemous than anything else. Its really just a celebration of greed, I know many people claim its not about the gifts, but Cmon, when I look around, thats what it looks like to me.

Something is very wrong when big retailers and other companies are so anxious to celebrate a christian holiday, any other time of the year, they want nothing to do with any religious denomination and go to great lengths to distance themselves from recognizing any one religion over another.

God was definitely right about the times we live in, "when people will call evil good, and good evil".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity