Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 12:42 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,098,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Does that sound appealing to you?
There is nothing holding me back from that - no wife, no kids, no real faith or belief that life is going to get better. I do have a job, but it's a dead end job and so on.

I don't have many friends - not many sober friends. And I have a high standard for what I consider a "friend" - it's not someone who knows me by my first name and/or we hung out a few times and connected. If you're a "friend" to me, my standard is: would you bail me out of jail at 3 in the morning if it ever come to that?

And I haven't had that many people in my life, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 12:43 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,408,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I asked a gentleman once on the street corner what he pulled in and he told me close to $100 in a couple hrs. I mean, and there is a safety net for homeless in my city and state. There are options. And even more so when you have mental health issues (which I might have).

Life is tough. Giving up would be much easier. A belief that God wants more for me, though, is about the only thing that has kept me from going under and maybe even kept me alive.
And by “more” you mean not going to hell?

Old 01-09-2018, 12:45 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,098,804 times
Quote:
And by “more” you mean not going to hell?
I guess. And maybe he wants me to be an example to others that you can go through hell and through to the other side to find light again. Maybe there is more to my story...?

Old 01-09-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I guess. And maybe he wants me to be an example to others that you can go through hell and through to the other side to find light again. Maybe there is more to my story...?
The latter part sounds more likely. . And there does not need to be a place of eternal torment for that to be true, does there?

Old 01-09-2018, 12:49 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,767,902 times
Quote:
There is nothing holding me back from that - no wife, no kids, no real faith or belief that life is going to get better. I do have a job, but it's a dead end job and so on.

I don't have many friends - not many sober friends. And I have a high standard for what I consider a "friend" - it's not someone who knows me by my first name and/or we hung out a few times and connected. If you're a "friend" to me, my standard is: would you bail me out of jail at 3 in the morning if it ever come to that?

And I haven't had that many people in my life, ever.
I only noticed this late as it popped Up but I saw an appeal for some support. Particularly with hellthreat.
Ok, so I'm an atheist. But...if you wanted to hear the Unbeliever argument about something that bothers you (as it botheres many - even deconverts) you could pop over to A/A to at least hear how we deal with it.

And Dillanunty knows, you are by no means alone in questioning, and there is plenty of room for God believers and even christian -believers who have just modified a bit what they can believe.

Only if you think it might help.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:50 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Kavalier: I urge you to read the gospel of John and the book of Romans (assuming you’ve read both, read them again). Pray. I also urge you to listen to Baptist Fundie and Mike555 on ths thread. May God bless you.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:02 PM

11,134 posts, read 7,191,653 times
There's a lot to the original post Kavalier, but I'll throw out a few thoughts. First, try to be thankful for the good things that have happened to you, and not lose sight of them. Keep in mind that most believers - and most honest Christians - will admit to going through dark periods. Periods when things suck, nothing is going right, God seems far away or not there, life sees cold and dark. And these periods can be long lasting, days, weeks, months, even years.

There's a lot of junk going on in this country now that could really get a person down in the dumps, even if their life is going well currently. Beware of the impacts of the surrounding junk, pessimism, disfunction, anger, hatred, and brokenness that is so prevalent now in our country.

It's easy to start doubting, even everything you've ever thought and believed. You don't have to try and figure it all out now though. Sometimes you have to back off a bit, reflect, maybe change the kind of information and surroundings you're taking in. See it as a time to grow, learn, and maybe even prepare to move to a higher level (higher degree of awareness). I've found in myself and others, that key times of difficulty and crisis - though painful and unpleasant - usually necessary to get us to a different place that we need to be. They're actually good for us, and make us more deep and real individuals. It's hard to see benefits while in the "midst of the storm", but if you can hold off from making judgments and decisions, you might be surprised later what you can see and find out. Try not to worry about hell, judgement, right/wrong decisions, guilt, religion, pressure, hassles, etc. Leaving the emotional and even worldly matters behind might be a healthy constructive first step.

Try to find time to "get away from it all", away from the crowds and city stuff, and go to a nice peaceful scenic location, if you can. Set aside some quiet time with just you and God. The more natural the setting - free of man's items and stuff, and more God's creations - the more you'll be surrounded with things of his. Just be still and quiet and free up / clear up your mind. See if you maybe can hear his still "quiet voice". That can be a time of healing and awareness. I've found it extremely important and helpful.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:11 PM

23,202 posts, read 10,485,389 times
Quote:
How does God keep you from doing that, Hanni?
If somebody proved to me that there wasn't a God, I wouldn't care about anything and I would not be a good person at all. I would immediately begin doing Methadone without a care in the world for life. Life would have no meaning, not even having children would mean anything, I wouldn't mean anything.

God forbid if somebody talks me down from God, it wouldn't be pretty at all because I would gain a freedom to do what I want to do, and that would not be pretty. But since I believe in God, I have to at least try and change my inherent evil. If I didn't believe in God, I would be a freaking king of this earth and everyone would know my name. I would walk out of here and make a couple million in a couple months in a legal way, but what I did with that money would not be legal, and it would just add to who I would become.

All of my imaginations are evil Plerro.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
If somebody proved to me that there wasn't a God, I wouldn't care about anything and I would not be a good person at all. I would immediately begin doing Methadone without a care in the world for life. Life would have no meaning, not even having children would mean anything, I wouldn't mean anything.

God forbid if somebody talks me down from God, it wouldn't be pretty at all because I would gain a freedom to do what I want to do, and that would not be pretty. But since I believe in God, I have to at least try and change my inherent evil. If I didn't believe in God, I would be a freaking king of this earth and everyone would know my name. I would walk out of here and make a couple million in a couple months in a legal way, but what I did with that money would not be legal, and it would just add to who I would become.

But it’s not fear of hell. You want to be rewarded, and you don’t want to miss out on good stuff.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:18 PM

33,310 posts, read 26,506,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post

On the other hand, there are many, many atheists who are good, decent, caring people who don't need to believe in God in order to be good people. That doesn't say much for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity