Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 09:22 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Wow. 20 pages of discussion about a non-issue.

The original "story" about this comes from Eugenio Scalfari, a 93 year old "journalist" who is proud of the fact that he never takes notes. Mr. Scalfari is an admitted atheist who is rather infamous for misquoting Francis over the past few years. The story was published in La Repubblica, which is basically an Italian version of Fox News.

I take it about as seriously as I take this:

Pope Francis Confirms Cats Still Going To Hell | EOTT LLC

Just roll your eyes and move on, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 10:16 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You said "eternal torment" (words quoted from the Bible) is ungodly and unjust. Or did you not mean that? The Bible teaches it, and since you call it unjust, you end up blaming God for it. God is also responsible for physical death, so you probably think that is unjust as well. Or do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Eternal torment is not a teaching of God, it was concocted by men.
Nowhere does the Scriptures teach such nonsense as you claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Absolutely nonsense ...and ultra-CRUEL nonsense at that. If the myth that eternal torment was taught in the Bible, then such a God who would impose an infinite penalty of torment (torment no less!) for finite human 'sins' would be the worst kind of tyrant imaginable. How can the majority (it would seem) of (intelligent?) Christians believe in such an insane concept and continue to put their faith in and exalt such a God?

But yet ...they do . . .
Quote:
How about death? You can't deny that. Ultra-cruel?
Death puts an end to pain and suffering, there is nothing sadistic about it.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:28 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

The original "story" about this comes from Eugenio Scalfari, a 93 year old "journalist" who is proud of the fact that he never takes notes. Mr. Scalfari is an admitted atheist who is rather infamous for misquoting Francis over the past few years. The story was published in La Repubblica, which is basically an Italian version of Fox News.

93 years old. Wow, is all I have to say. And it is quite possible he got things a little mixed up, especially since it requires an in-depth study of the scriptures. Maybe Scalfari did it, maybe he didn't, but maybe also the Pope said some of those things.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Clearly (I think) the Pope was making a little joke about cats, although if he said it, I hope he didn't scare the little girl. I love cats! Although I don't think I'll see them in hell. :-) Because nothing happens in hell, no one is alive in hell. Not cats and not humans. And I hope cats will be in God's earth made new. (2 Peter 3)

Old 04-04-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Interesting point. Never really thought of it that way, since death IS a punishment, but yes, I agree, in one way it puts an end to suffering. Of course it also puts an end to pleasure, but then some of us look forward to life without end in God's new earth. This life is filled with pain and misery. Maybe not so much for each one of us, but I think of all the people in miserable conditions throughout the world and even in the US of A.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:56 AM

23,153 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Clearly (I think) the Pope was making a little joke about cats, although if he said it, I hope he didn't scare the little girl. I love cats! Although I don't think I'll see them in hell. :-) Because nothing happens in hell, no one is alive in hell. Not cats and not humans. And I hope cats will be in God's earth made new. (2 Peter 3)
Cats are going to hell for stealing the breath of children, I have watched them hover over them in suspicion, and one morning I woke up and my cat had his eyes looking at mine, and his mouth was to my mouth and I couldn't breath and then he jumped down suddenly and started ripping on my leg until my whole body was falling off the bed as he was pulling my leg.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:59 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Cats are going to hell for stealing the breath of children, I have watched them hover over them in suspicion, and one morning I woke up and my cat had his eyes looking at mine, and his mouth was to my mouth and I couldn't breath and then he jumped down suddenly and started ripping on my leg until my whole body was falling off the bed as he was pulling my leg.
And I suspect you are pulling ours.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
A healthy child dying in a car accident is a good thing, because it puts an end to suffering? Seriously?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:08 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
A healthy child dying in a car accident is a good thing, because it puts an end to suffering? Seriously?
Quoth Mr. Twister.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:16 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
You need to see the difference between the two. And who are you to talk believing your god is going torture multitudes upon multitudes with eternal torment and fire. Oh yea, of cause they deserve to suffer and never be put out of their misery, do you see how perverse and corrupt your thinking is ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity