Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 11:19 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,027,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Those are your words, no one else's.
Well done Finn. They're my words, ...but I wouldn't have said them if I didn't think they were descriptive of the source of the accusatory and judgemental spirit behind fundamentalism. So have a think about weighing and testing spirit rather than just word deconstruction / manipulation.

You know, we went to church this morning and they had a visiting preacher. He said all the right words, ... exceptional diction, themes, and so on and so forth. But by the 3rd time he'd talked about "serving the gospel" - literally, yes, he said those words - I wanted to scream at him. Can you imagine why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 11:21 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
Well done Finn. They're my words, ...but I wouldn't have said them if I didn't think they were descriptive of the source of the accusatory and judgemental spirit behind fundamentalism.
Nah, you're just doing what universalists always do: misrepresent others.

Divide and conquer.....lol

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-22-2018 at 11:32 AM..

Old 04-22-2018, 11:29 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Nah, you're just doing what universalists always do: misrepresent others.
Do you ever wonder why no one is accused of misrepresentation of CD posters other than by you,yet the number of posters that know this sneaky tactic of yours is common place grows daily , even other fundamentalists recognize you do this. Are you really that hard faced?.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:48 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Jesus said people will be hated for His name, but He NEVER said we should hide, or deny, being His followers. As a matter of fact He said we should NOT disown him before others. You can say you are a Christian, and that Jesus loves everyone. If people are offended, as they often are, then so be it.

"Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven"

"Do not be surprised, my brothers and sisters, if the world hates you"

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first."
Do you realize when you are saying that someone must see it the way you do that is what you are asking of them? You are asking someone to deny what they see to be true to suit your viewpoint. If you tied to convert a Muslim to Christianity you are insisting that they renounce what they have come to know as their savior in favor of words that make sense to you. They're just words Finn. You can't say for sure that Jesus doesn't shape shift and appear differently to others and He does to you.

Every ahole uses that the world will hate you to advance their own ego and aviod taking a good look at how they're coming across. There is a scripture in 1st Corinthians 9 too that says : 19Though I am free of obligation to anyone, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the Law I became like one under the Law (though I myself am not under the Law), to win those under the Law. 21To those without the Law I became like one without the Law (though I am not outside the law of God but am under the law of Christ), to win those without the Law.…
If you have something important to say it looks like the impetus is on you to figure out how to interact with those you think are wrong.

I'm not so sure "the world" has been correctly identified. I see "the world" as anything that seeks to drive a wedge between me and "God".

Old 04-22-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Do you ever wonder why no one is accused of misrepresentation of CD posters other than by you,yet the number of posters that know this sneaky tactic of yours is common place grows daily , even other fundamentalists recognize you do this. Are you really that hard faced?.
Do you ever wonder why this bothers him so much? I'm not in his head but I remember how frustrating it can be to not feel heard or feel like I was invisible. I'm not saying Finn's reacting out of not having his needs meet just that's how I reacted before I felt like my opinions mattered.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:17 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,027,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Do you ever wonder why this bothers him so much? I'm not in his head but I remember how frustrating it can be to not feel heard or feel like I was invisible. I'm not saying Finn's reacting out of not having his needs meet just that's how I reacted before I felt like my opinions mattered.
All victims are frustrated until they let it go. And no one is bothered about your opinions either.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:24 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
All victims are frustrated until they let it go. And no one is bothered about your opinions either.
You're right.I am sure you would agree too, that what we are generally victim to is, whatever we place behind I Am.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You're right.I am sure you would agree too, that what we are generally victim to is, whatever we place behind I Am.
If that is the case here you're not helping him. Unless, it's in a tough love sort of way, that you keep working that nerve until he gets sick of being controlled by it and tries to fix it. That way seems like it might backfire though and do more damage. If the feeling of being not heard is what's trapping him then hear him. Be as tenacious with making him feel understood as you are with telling him he doesn't understand.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:43 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Do you realize when you are saying that someone must see it the way you do that is what you are asking of them? You are asking someone to deny what they see to be true to suit your viewpoint.
No, I am not asking for anything other than your opinion.

Quote:
If you tied to convert a Muslim to Christianity you are insisting that they renounce what they have come to know as their savior in favor of words that make sense to you.
No, it is best to let God do His work and draw them to Him.

Quote:
Every ahole uses that the world will hate you to advance their own ego and aviod taking a good look at how they're coming across.
They were Jesus words.

Clearly you are offended by the Bible verses I quoted, and you direct your anger at me, and in doing so, you accidentally prove the point.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
No, I am not asking for anything other than your opinion.

No, it is best to let God do His work and draw them to Him.

They were Jesus words.

Clearly you are offended by the Bible verses I quoted, and you direct your anger at me, and in doing so, you accidentally prove the point.
You sense anger from me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity