Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't think it's a Christian thing. It's a lover of violence thing.

“Most atheists are pretty bitter, angry, and humorless souls. They will probably not like Anthony DeStefano’s stinging and entirely hilarious takedown of the smug and arrogant brand of pseudo-intellectualism that modern atheism has become. As his targets whine DeStefano will shine, and his revealing book will enlighten, entertain, and probably melt some snowflakes!”

—Former Governor Mike Huckabee

I couldn't cut and paste the other quote I wanted to share but it's saying there won't be any coddling or respect for their views in this book.

Anthony DeStefano

Matthew 5
…8Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. 9Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. 10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.…
Huckabee is a conscience-less political hack who will say anything and do anybody to get a vote.

I have more respect for worm slime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 09:10 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,000,237 times
Atheists have become more belligerent in their expression of views, but that has been for quite some time now.
Comments like "if you don't have anything else in your life, you may as well believe that" I have heard before, and this is from atheists that do not even know your belief system.
The Cafeteria Christian comment in the article is quite lame. Some only have very moderate beliefs, but it still shapes their morals, ethics and values.
FWIW I used to argue with atheists from time to time, and sometimes various cults, but most of my time now is spent disputing things with Evangelicals and bible literalists, both here and on other sites.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Atheists have become more belligerent in their expression of views, but that has been for quite some time now.
Comments like "if you don't have anything else in your life, you may as well believe that" I have heard before, and this is from atheists that do not even know your belief system.
Are you going to apply anecdotal evidence to a whole subset? Have you never met a reasonable atheist? Would you like to be treated based on how other Christians act or would you like to be treated as an individual?

Quote:
The Cafeteria Christian comment in the article is quite lame. Some only have very moderate beliefs, but it still shapes their morals, ethics and values.
FWIW I used to argue with atheists from time to time, and sometimes various cults, but most of my time now is spent disputing things with Evangelicals and bible literalists, both here and on other sites.
I don't see the moderates as less devote anymore. I was told by my fundamentalist sect that other denominations were somehow "watered down" or weak and not strong in their convictions. After interacting I see that they are just as devote, maybe even more so. They are two entirely different philosophies to me. One the one end there are people who seem to believe being a Christian is about following laws they feel are set out by God and remaining as true to those as they can. Getting your butt to church and saving as many as possible. Their idea of reward seems to have some future date to it. On the other hand I see the philosophy that it's not about the letter of the law but acting in the spirit of the lesson. They seem to believe it's not about a religion but a way of connectivity and interacting in the world to be better now. I can see them volunteering their time to help someone instead of sitting in a church receiving instructions, not that someone can't do both. The first seem to have a very small ingroup while the later seem to have a greatly expanded one. Of course, those are poles and people fall in between the two. I just don't think you can judge someones devotion by how often they go to church.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 04-23-2018 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: typo...beat ya to it Jimmy

Old 04-24-2018, 04:02 AM

3,803 posts, read 3,000,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Are you going to apply anecdotal evidence to a whole subset? Have you never met a reasonable atheist? Would you like to be treated based on how other Christians act or would you like to be treated as an individual?

I don't see the moderates as less devote anymore. I was told by my fundamentalist sect that other denominations were somehow "watered down" or weak and not strong in their convictions. After interacting I see that they are just as devote, maybe even more so. They are two entirely different philosophies to me. One the one end there are people who seem to believe being a Christian is about following laws they feel are set out by God and remaining as true to those as they can. Getting your butt to church and saving as many as possible. Their idea of reward seems to have some future date to it. On the other hand I see the philosophy that it's not about the letter of the law but acting in the spirit of the lesson. They seem to believe it's not about a religion but a way of connectivity and interacting in the world to be better now. I can see them volunteering their time to help someone instead of sitting in a church receiving instructions, not that someone can't do both. The first seem to have a very small ingroup while the later seem to have a greatly expanded one. Of course, those are poles and people fall in between the two. I just don't think you can judge someones devotion by how often they go to church.
Yeah I suppose atheists views that are hostile are more memorable than those that are indifferent,eg "theists are believing in the tooth fairy and fables and having an imaginary friend" etc, just as those views from Fundies or Evangelicals on high church Catholics/ Orthodox and similar denominations and different religions.
That is just human nature.
But yes, of course there are reasonable atheists, just as there are reasonable fundies who do not judge others.
I like the "watered down" comment from your former church, and have heard it before, just like the "you have to be with the hot coals" etc, and not the lukewarm -whom I will spit you out of my mouth!
And this was coming from a group that believed baptism was necessary for salvation, something that is at odds with fundies and evangelicals.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:10 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
atheism is a religion.
Insert foot in mouth, shoot oneself in foot.

Quote:
A truthful atheist will say that they BELIEVE that there is no God.
No, a truthful atheist will say they believe there are no gods.

And belief does not make a religion.

Quote:
To say there is no God means that you are privy to all knowledge of the Universe.
Try that straw man with round triangles. Yes, it is that stupid.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:30 AM

1,183 posts, read 537,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Insert foot in mouth, shoot oneself in foot.

No, a truthful atheist will say they believe there are no gods.

And belief does not make a religion.

Try that straw man with round triangles. Yes, it is that stupid.
Lol! Sounds like Truth burns a bit. What you describe sounds more like agnosticism than atheism. If you are confused by your own religion, how can you even begin to defend it?

Webster dictionary of religion;
cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Old 04-24-2018, 07:36 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Secular atheists have a long history of intolerance and repression. It’s part of their DNA. It’s part of who they are."
Really? What OTHER kind of atheist is there?

Did anyone actually expect good sense from this article?
I was curios, even after the opening straw men and well poisoning.

But taken to it's logical conclusions, the article is saying among other things Christians should be allowed to break the law (1); if Muslims think it is fine to fly planes into buildings for religious reasons, then 'new' atheists should just shut up about it (2); and Christians should be Christ like, except Anthony DeStefano, who is allowed to misrepresent and be hateful as much as he wants (3).

1 - 'It’s been at the root of their relentless drive over the last 50 years to systematically purge all religious symbols and imagery from the public square.' Cough, separation of church and state, cough.

2 - Being 'bullies'.

3 - 'And Al Stefanelli of the organization American Atheists has stated that “sometimes intolerance becomes necessary and even laudable, if it is directed towards bigotry, discrimination, etc.” In other words, atheists believe that it’s ok to be intolerant, as long as you’re being intolerant against Christians!' No, bigotry is NOT fine, and no, the that is NOT what Stefanelli said.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:42 AM

1,183 posts, read 537,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I was curios, even after the opening straw men and well poisoning.

But taken to it's logical conclusions, the article is saying among other things Christians should be allowed to break the law (1); if Muslims think it is fine to fly planes into buildings for religious reasons, then 'new' atheists should just shut up about it (2); and Christians should be Christ like, except Anthony DeStefano, who is allowed to misrepresent and be hateful as much as he wants (3).

1 - 'It’s been at the root of their relentless drive over the last 50 years to systematically purge all religious symbols and imagery from the public square.' Cough, separation of church and state, cough.

2 - Being 'bullies'.

3 - 'And Al Stefanelli of the organization American Atheists has stated that “sometimes intolerance becomes necessary and even laudable, if it is directed towards bigotry, discrimination, etc.” In other words, atheists believe that it’s ok to be intolerant, as long as you’re being intolerant against Christians!' No, bigotry is NOT fine, and no, the that is NOT what Stefanelli said.
Wow. You are on a roll. Do you know separation of church and state really means? The intent is religious freedom and not have government interference

Old 04-25-2018, 01:34 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Atheist countries/dictators have killed more people, especially in the 20th century, than anything else.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:42 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Atheist countries/dictators have killed more people, especially in the 20th century, than anything else.
So truth is a competition about who kills more people. Or maybe you are saying that atheism cause homicidal dictators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity