Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 05:36 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There is at least one member of City-Data that definitely believes the earth is flat. He/she has not posted on this thread. I have no idea why.
And I thought I was special.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:06 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Ploughboy, if you trust Strong's to give you an unbiased rendering of a word that could demonstrate the Bible to be in error, I know of a bridge that I could sell you cheap to collect tolls from drivers in New York. You could make a fortune!

Old 06-13-2018, 06:14 PM

So in Proverbs 8:27 "I was there when He set a globe on the face of the deep?"

I don't think so.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:16 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Ploughboy, if you trust Strong's to give you an unbiased rendering of a word that could demonstrate the Bible to be in error, I know of a bridge that I could sell you cheap to collect tolls from drivers in New York. You could make a fortune!
LOL. right there at the G.W, yeah, everyone will stop and pay the toll.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:53 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
And I thought I was special.
Oh, you are special, Hanni!

Old 06-13-2018, 06:55 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploughboy View Post
Hebrew Lexicons:

The New Strong's Exhaustive Expanded Concordance of the Bible. H8398

"8398. têbêl, tay-bale'; from H2986; the earth (as moist and therefore inhabited); by extension, the globe; by implication, its inhabitants; specifically, a particular land, as Babylonia, Palestine:—world [35x] habitable part, [1x].

The word signified, first, the solid material on which man dwells, and that was formed, founded, established, and disposed by God; and secondly, the inhabitants thereof. See TWOT 835h; BDB--385c, 1061d."
You just proved my point and highlighted what I already highlighted! I highlighted that section to show you that 'by extension' is not the definition but what the definition - earth, the solid material upon which man dwells is pointing to. When we read the Bible and it says 'earth' we know by extension that it is referring to what we, and in this case the Lexicographer knows, that the earth is a globe. But that is not the definition of the word.

As you just quoted - The word signified, first, the solid material on which man dwells, and that was formed, founded, established, and disposed by God; and secondly, the inhabitants thereof.

As can be seen it does not mean spherical or globe.

You also seem to be confused by the word global. Global - of, relating to, or involving the entire world,
of, relating to, or applying to a whole. Thus this is not talking about the geometry of a globe or sphere.

Add to this I already shown by many of its usages elsewhere that your errors here would make no sense in the context of those verses.

Give it up you have lost and are just repeating yourself and hoping no one notices. Your whole (global) post was a waste of reasserted globally-guck! Yeah get it!

Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 PM

160 posts, read 62,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So in Proverbs 8:27 "I was there when He set a globe on the face of the deep?"

I don't think so.
The compass on the face of the deep. There is nothing deep about a 2D flat circle.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,805,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploughboy View Post
Here's the problem: You are using 21st century liberal scholars to interpret the Bible. Did you know that according to the Apostles of Christ these people do not have a share in the ministry? These people were instantly excommunicated if you read the NT all the way through. So your sources are not approved by the Apostles of Christ. But lets look at one of your key verses in which you used to support you wall of rhetoric.

Job 37:18, Solid Sky.

This verse is quoted continuously by flat earthers. You cannot even engage in a discussion with a flat earther without having this verse thrown at you out of nowhere (as they will cite the verse with no connection to a discussion about the shape of the earth). They say the Bible teaches us that the sky is solid, like metal. Since flat earthers are KJV Only, lets cite Job 37:18 from the KJV,

"Hast thou with him spread out the sky, which is strong, and as a molten looking glass?"

Other Translations:

"Thou perhaps hast made the heavens with him, which are most strong, as if they were of molten brass" (Douay-Rheims Bible).

"Can you, like him, spread out the skies,
hard as a cast metal mirror?" (ESV).

"Hast thou stretched out the heavens, which are strong, and as a molten glass?" (1599 Geneva Bible).

"Have you, with Him, spread out the sky,
which is strong and is like a molded mirror?" (MEV).

"With Him, have you spread out the skies,
Strong as a cast metal mirror?" (NKJV).

"can you help God spread out the skies
as hard as a cast metal mirror?" (HCSB).

"can you join him in spreading out the skies,
hard as a mirror of cast bronze?" (NIV).
Well, that's it. We're done. They got us. Close down the churches! Hide in the hills! The Bible is over; disproven!

There is a very simple response to this verse. It is a very easy easy answer. I do not feel it necessary to explain whether or not there is a figurative meaning. The answer is so easy no explanation of this verse is necessary.

The answer: The narrator is Elihu.

What does this mean? It means the narrator was not Job or God and thus the narrator is irrelevant.

Flat earthers will respond: "But its in the Bible!" This does not remove the irrelevancy of Elihu's narration. His words are part of a dialogue but they do not effect our church doctrine. Now if Job or God said this then I would go into a deeper explanation. But since the narrator is Elihu there is no reason to provide any explanation longer than this one.

The narrator is irrelevant.
Elihu, is the Name given to satan.
Seems fairly relevant to me.

Especially when his seed of corruption incites men to call the All Mighty a liar.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:44 PM

160 posts, read 62,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
You just proved my point and highlighted what I already highlighted! I highlighted that section to show you that 'by extension' is not the definition but what the definition
Strong's: ; by extension, the globe;

Gesenius': ,the habitable globe,

TWOT: First, the noun is employed to represent the global mass called earth and In several passages the sense of têbêl as the globular earth in combination with its inhabitants is clearly observed.

New International: the word conveys the cosmic or global sense in which 'eres is also sometimes used; i.e., the whole earth or world considered as a single entity.

The New International being the most liberal.

So where do we see flat earth? Are you being intellectually dishonest? You seem to be argumentative about all this and want to make the word globe somehow mean flat. If it meant flat earth the word globe would not be used here nor would Tyndale had translated "round world."

Quote:
You also seem to be confused by the word global. Global - of, relating to, or involving the entire world,
of, relating to, or applying to a whole. Thus this is not talking about the geometry of a globe or sphere.
What are you talking about? Did you even read my post? I supplied ancient writings from early church fathers who all read globe/sphere earth from Scripture. This means there is no flat earth tradition!

How does the use of the word global/globular mean flat earth? When the word tebel is applied to the whole earth it means the fullness of the earth, everything therein, width, height, length, atmosphere and lowest depths. If it were referring to a flat earth there would be no depth nor fullness and Tyndale would not have translated it "round world." Also, Myles Coverdale, John Roges and Thomas Cranmer also agreed with the "round world" rendering as well as the scholars of the Bishop's Bible. It was only through the carelessness of Geneva scholars that "round world" among other very vital phrases from the Matthew's Bible were deluded.

Quote:
Add to this I already shown by many of its usages elsewhere that your errors here would make no sense in the context of those verses.
Give it up you have lost and are just repeating yourself and hoping no one notices. Your whole (global) post was a waste of reasserted globally-guck! Yeah get it!
Who cares what you think. Its not my problem you are debating your own ego here. You are not the authority on this issue and neither am I or any other human being living on earth today. The ultimate authority is Jesus. That authority was passed in full to His Apostles. The Apostles passed authority on to their successors. These early 1st century successors knew the Apostles and were well trusted by them. Then the succession is passed from those who knew the Apostles to those who did not know them but yet have received the knowledge of the succession. Had their been a tradition of flat earth it would have been carried on throughout Christian history.

Use your common sense. Stop debating your ego and start paying attention to details---all the details! Right now you are beating yourself up, bruising your own mind and ego over this. Those who are truly repentant do not lack the humility of Christ. Once you see you are wrong about something then your ego should not get in the way of accepting the truth. But if you are trying to feed your ego then you have reduced yourself to an opinionated person who has no interest in truth but would rather argue about things you yourself don't even want to understand. I honestly don't know how atheists can live with themselves. I can never live that way. I hate lies and lying. But most of all, I hate the very thought of lying to myself. What do I gain my lying to myself? Nothing! So why do you continue to beat yourself up over this issue? Does it mean that much to you for the Bible to be wrong that you will blatantly live in total denial of all fact supporting data which supports the Bible?

There is no flat earth tradition. Accept it. Move on with life and lose the bitterness. You want to learn something you first need to be willing to accept all facts and all reality. This denying facts is just going to drive you to have a stroke or a heart attack. Not healthy.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Oh, you are special, Hanni!
"Tis true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity