Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 12:43 PM

1,082 posts, read 833,379 times

Advertisements

Thanks dudes and scholars for your input . I still don't see it. What I do see is in Isaiah "his name shall be called Immau'EL". So, I'll keep going with that. I was just wondering where all the Yeshua stuff was coming from. I see it now. Anyways, I appreciate the time you took to give me some good information. And no, I certainly do NOT think or condone that it's worth causing division within the body as others have seemed to do regarding this (not here in this thread). Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 02:10 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
Immanuel means "God with us " again this "name" is a verb and action concept , about his promised deeds to live with and dwell with men.. that could only be true if he was going to come as a man, the son of king David.. which was also another promise..

Old 08-17-2018, 02:21 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
Immanuel means "God with us " again this "name" is a verb and action concept , about his promised deeds to live with and dwell with men.. that could only be true if he was going to come as a man, the son of king David.. which was also another promise..

I think this is what you need to work on, BBslider001, the concept of "name." It's kind of a cultural difference. We think of "Smith" as a "surname," but remember that it originally only designated the fact that the person was some kind of artisan. Perhaps if you thought of that Isaiah passage as saying, "and His designation shall be 'God With Us.'" Does that help? Maybe the word "identification" rather than "designation?" For instance, "Smith" might just as easily been named "Tinker."

Old 08-17-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post

I think this is what you need to work on, BBslider001, the concept of "name." It's kind of a cultural difference. We think of "Smith" as a "surname," but remember that it originally only designated the fact that the person was some kind of artisan. Perhaps if you thought of that Isaiah passage as saying, "and His designation shall be 'God With Us.'" Does that help? Maybe the word "identification" rather than "designation?" For instance, "Smith" might just as easily been named "Tinker."
yes even smith someplace in that direct line was a blacksmith.. and tinker was of course someplace there was at least one tinkerer back there .. back there someplace ..
yes it is in all cultures now yes.. good point Nate..
I always think of it as in these terms , as to how many names my indian great grandpas had.. every time there was a war or a event of any kind, they all got new names..
so most folks seem to like arguing about whom is really whom..
I have one grandpa who is my grandpa over many times.. I counted like 8 or 9 names that I can find.. then start adding the fact he had identities in other tribe and with it other names and histories in those tribes.. thus more names.... .. and the list could be really just endless.. because he was a famous guy with whites and indians, so he has a lots of names and I think ONLY our God has more names then him I think.. of course God is older.
the name issues has making tracing your grandpa and grandma's indian heritage on rolls and such nearly impossible unless you know their individuals stories/ and histories on any given day even... only then can you start attaching names to events in their history.

and to think someday in the kingdom we still have to revive the competation and see which "old ****(a doodle do )" can get more names?? I can guarantee in about 80 year that old guy racked up lots of names nearly as much as God did... just wait until he has been here 1000 years... that will be priceless..
and they were both Alephs.. should prove interesting to watch (probably safest from a distance)....

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 08-17-2018 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 03:11 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
yes even smith was someplace a blacksmith.. and tinker was of course someplace a tinkerer.. back there..
yes it is in all cultures now yes.. good pointb nate..
I always think of it as in term so how many names my indian great grandpa had.. everytime there was a war or a event of any kind they all got new names..
so every is alwasy argueing about whom is really whom..
Good cultural background for understanding the Isaiah reference, thank you.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:20 PM

I thought I would put the references to Immanuel. so everyone can see what the OP is talking about. in NKJV

Isa 7:14

“Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.
Isa 8:8

He will pass through Judah,
He will overflow and pass over,
He will reach up to the neck;
And the stretching out of his wings
Will fill the breadth of Your land, O Immanuel.[fn]
Mat 1:23

“Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”

Old 08-25-2018, 05:51 AM

1,382 posts, read 768,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Ok, so I know it means "salvation", but where in Scripture does it state that this is the Messiah's given name? I see it nowhere. I see "ImmanaEL" in Isaiah. Jesus is the form of another name used all throughout the New Testamant. It was derived from the name of a sun god concocted in early Catholicism, so I see where it comes from, though I don't use it. But Yeshua? Just wondering where this came from or why some of you believers who use it decided to do so?

No, this is NOT a place to argue or put passive/aggressive snarky comments. I have asked this before and been accused of trying to start fights. I am simply trying to understand the thinking behind it, especially with the popularity that has grown to use this term so freely. Correct doctrine=correct thinking about YHVH so that we may worship correctly, that's all.

The NT canon you use was first proposed by the Roman bishop of Alexandria, Athanasius in 367 AD. He was present at Constantine's Nicene Council, and was a main proponent of the false doctrine of the Trinity. Constantine's god was Sol Invictus, the sun god, and in 321 AD Constantine passed a law that the day of rest was the day of the sun, Sunday, and that no one could buy or sell on that day for the markets would be closed. Today, that law is called the "Blue Laws". The term "Jesus" didn't exist until the 16th century when the letter J was invented. Yeshua was the original Aramaic name, and its' English version is Joshua. The latin vocalization of "Jesus" is earth pig, and the Spanish pronunciation is hey Zeus. Yeshua means YWHW saves.

As per the OT, the term Joshua in context, is used in Zechariah 3. The NT was edited and published by the Roman church, a principal daughter of Babylon. Babylon will be eventually thrown into the sea (Revelation 18:21). The majority of the NT would be the "tare seed", planted by the "enemy" (Matthew 13). Those hanging on to the Roman church will eventually be "cut off" when the church, under its current leader the pope, "falls" (Isaiah 22:25).

Last edited by 2ndpillar; 08-25-2018 at 06:10 AM..

Old 08-25-2018, 07:41 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Ok, so I know it means "salvation", but where in Scripture does it state that this is the Messiah's given name? I see it nowhere. I see "ImmanaEL" in Isaiah. Jesus is the form of another name used all throughout the New Testamant. It was derived from the name of a sun god concocted in early Catholicism, so I see where it comes from, though I don't use it. But Yeshua? Just wondering where this came from or why some of you believers who use it decided to do so?

No, this is NOT a place to argue or put passive/aggressive snarky comments. I have asked this before and been accused of trying to start fights. I am simply trying to understand the thinking behind it, especially with the popularity that has grown to use this term so freely. Correct doctrine=correct thinking about YHVH so that we may worship correctly, that's all.
Jesus is the English of the Greek Iesous...Iesous is the Greek of the Hebrew Yehoshua, which I see many Christians using...Yeshua is a Hebrew verb which means “to save”...

Old 08-25-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
This doesn't even touch my question. Where does it say his name is "Yeshua" or anything else other than ImmanuEL? And what does the "blue letter" bible have to do with anything?
Jesus was never called, let alone, named Immanuel...

Old 08-25-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yup. Exactly. Thanks Mike.
Not exactly, Yeshua is a verb, not a name...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity