Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:25 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,508 times

Advertisements

I know we have to discuss Halloween since we do it every year here. We are having an unusually hot and humid September here, so I am longing for fall. I bought some pretty gourds and miniature pumpkins already and my 4 year old is excited about Halloween - he is going to be an astronaut. We have always participated in Trick-Or-Treat with my children and they with their children. It seems like innocent fun to me. I don't like the gruesome costumes with blood and guts and all that yucky stuff. I wish Halloween would evolve away from trying to be scary.

Any thoughts? Anyone think people who celebrate or participate in Halloween are "lost"?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 02:53 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Sure go celebrate graven images , as we all live in a strange culture ....... See the ten horned beast which blasphemes the ten commandments would love that people reject the commandments of God ........

Old 09-20-2018, 06:35 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,375 times
GINOLJC, to all.

First, in addressing the OP only. A many of Christian need to do two things, concering a topic like this. 1. Rightly divide the Word of Truth, and 2. Apply their FAITH in respect to their Brother, meaning (males and females, Jews and Greeks, poor and Rich..ect).

So #1. Rightly divide the Word of Truth. That is found in the verses concerning a topic like this.

1 Corinthians 6:12 "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10:23 "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

These verses are vastly different, and they “Rightly Divide” the Word of Truth for the Christian to live in the Carnal created world which God made and it was GOOD, and the Spiritual World of Knowledge and Understanding of both worlds.

#2. Now, once one Rightly Divide the Word of Truth, then one can apply their Faith to it

And this is found in,

Romans 14:13 "Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. (One might want to read that verse again)

Romans 14:14 "I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

Romans 14:15 "But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

Romans 14:16 "Let not then your good be evil spoken of:

Romans 14:17 "For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Romans 14:18 "For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.

Romans 14:19 "Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

Romans 14:20 "For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

Romans 14:21 "It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Romans 14:22 "Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

(THIS VERSE IS VERY IMPORTANT)
Romans 14:23 "And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin. (this verse needs reading again.)

but some, will take an act of God, for the apostle Peter had to have a vision of what "HE" called or took to be unclean, to be convinced by God to be made clean by God.

it simply boils down to religious Ignorance, For all things are under Christ feet, and we as Christian are in Christ, so all things are under our feet.

as the apostle Paul said in 1 Corinthians 6:12, "All things", meaning no thing is left out, which include the thing called, Halloween.

bottom line, Colossians 2:16 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Colossians 2:17 "Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Colossians 2:18 "Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind".

as Our Brother and apostle said, "I have you not Ignorant".

Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Old 09-20-2018, 08:30 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I was literally about to post the same thing. Lock this sucker down, MQ.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:45 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
No reason to discuss Halloween, here, again, whether for secular or sensationalistic reasons.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Well, I like Halloween. Although, since I moved to the boonies I've had no trick or treaters. But I always got a kick out of answering the door and pretending to be frightened by 3-foot-tall ghosts and goblins.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:21 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Well, I like Halloween. Although, since I moved to the boonies I've had no trick or treaters. But I always got a kick out of answering the door and pretending to be frightened by 3-foot-tall ghosts and goblins.
agreed,

The supremacy of Christ over all things.

Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it".

the fat cat in a red suit at Christmas was well exposed early in my childhood, and the true "GIFT" givers was mom and Dad. but in all thing there is some God.

Mark 2:15 "And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him.

Mark 2:16 "And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?

Mark 2:17 "When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

The Religious Right, entrenched in the Law, heaven bound, no earthly good, always have a complain. WHY, because of Ignorance.

PICYJAG.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:59 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I was literally about to post the same thing. Lock this sucker down, MQ.
Hahaha, I don't think we have a rule about Halloween threads.

Let's see how long it takes for someone to dash in here waving their arms and shrieking that it's a Pagan holiday with evil origins and if you let your kid go out in a silly costume trolling for candy you are buying into the forces of darkness...

I loved when I lived somewhere that lots of kids came around, too. Now I might get some, but not like where I was when my daughter was small. I'd put on my witch hat and answer the door with my black cat in my arms. (I could only do this once because he would promptly struggle to get out of my arms and run and hide under the bed because he's a wuss.)

RainMusic, an astronaut is a good costume. Your son should have fun.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:04 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Hey, it may be far longer and detailed than I would think necessary, but wade through 101c's posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity