Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:10 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,450,626 times

Advertisements

I have a close family member that often struggles with depression. In fact, it runs in our family. Her husband, who treats her poorly, just lost his job, and she has two kids (one a newborn). A year ago she cut her wrists and now she just sent me a very melodramatic song that makes me think she's suicidal again. She's a believer, but is unable to attend church as she doesn't have a car and her husband owns a car she can't drive.

I really don't know what to do. In the past, I've talked and cried with her, shared scripture, given Biblical advice. I just brought a bunch of groceries, diapers, and wipes over so that she doesn't have to worry about her kids going hungry. She just gets trapped in these terrible places where she thinks that everything is hopeless. What do I do? Any Scripture references you can share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 10:16 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,222 times
Forget the scripture and get her to the hospital for help. If she has a newborn her normal depression has probably escalated into post partum depression and she and her baby could be at risk.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:19 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,450 times
Here is one good passage of scripture:

Psalm 61:2-4
2From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.

4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

And here is a wonderful hymn:

A Shelter in the Time of Storm

The Lord's our Rock, in Him we hide,
A shelter in the time of storm;
Secure whatever ill betide,
A shelter in the time of storm.

Refrain:
Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A weary land, a weary land;
Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,

A shade by day, defense by night,
No fears alarm, no foes affright,

The raging storms may round us beat,
We'll never leave our safe retreat,

I will also be praying ernestly for her, you and the rest of the family

Old 06-22-2007, 10:20 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I have a close family member that often struggles with depression. In fact, it runs in our family. Her husband, who treats her poorly, just lost his job, and she has two kids (one a newborn). A year ago she cut her wrists and now she just sent me a very melodramatic song that makes me think she's suicidal again. She's a believer, but is unable to attend church as she doesn't have a car and her husband owns a car she can't drive.

I really don't know what to do. In the past, I've talked and cried with her, shared scripture, given Biblical advice. I just brought a bunch of groceries, diapers, and wipes over so that she doesn't have to worry about her kids going hungry. She just gets trapped in these terrible places where she thinks that everything is hopeless. What do I do? Any Scripture references you can share?
JCO....it's not scripture that she needs right now.....it's medication. Clinical depression is a mental illness, a disease that needs treatement. Just like a diabetic needs insulin, a person suffering from clinical depression needs mediation and counseling NOW....bible study comes later.

I'm extra concerned becasue you mentiond she has a newborn. Women who are prone to depression often have more serious post-partum depression and post-partum psychosis....this is something to take very seriously.

I would drive her to a mental health clinic or psychiatrist ASAP. Medication is the first step which will diminish her suicidal thoughts and let her deal with some other issues later, when she's feeling more herslef, again.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
1 Peter 5:7 "Give all your worries and cares to God for He cares about what happens to you".
Philippians 4: 13 " For I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength I need".
Philippians 4:6-7 " Don't worry about anything instead pray about everything, tell God what you need and thank Him for all He has done. If you do this you will experience God's which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus".

Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,450,626 times
I had postpardum depression, and this is what's made me very sensitive to it. I can tell you that she wouldn't go to the hospital. She hasn't admitted anything, but I've dealt with this enough to know the warning signs. Perhaps I should set up a time for her to meet with a counselor so that she knows help is coming. She might be more open to this.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:25 PM

688 posts, read 2,835,807 times
My foremost advice, pray! Pray and pray some more! Get together with your Pastor and have them pray with you. If you can, keep going to visit her, and if you can, pray over her, with her, through her house. I am thinking there may be some demons running about in her house, her life, disrupting and reaking havoc. I would plea the blood of Jesus over her, her family and over her house and cars. Pray for the Lord's protection, peace, and to hide her from the enemy. Pray against spirits of depression, oppression, infirmities, and death/suicide.

As for scriptures, I have one chapter that comes to mind right now:

Psalm 91

p.s. I also agree with beth ann, who suggested meds, I think it is an important part of dealing with this. Still yet, most of all I'd say she needs the Lord to intervene, so pray and pray and pray some more!

*HUGS*

LuLu

Old 06-22-2007, 10:27 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,450 times
Is there anyway you can get her alone with you for a while? By what you have said, I am thinking her husband is probably a control freak and won't let her out of his sight...but is there a way you can just take her out for a day and help her to just let it all out?

Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
I agree, could be post-partum. Beyond the medical help, and I certainly concur with that especially considering her past history, I am also wondering if you could get her to a Christian counselor like a pastor or someone. You said she does not attend church. Would there be someone on staff at your church who would be adept at counseling and whom she would agree to talk with? Sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things to try and help. I'm sure that taking over groceries and all did help. Sometimes just the pressure of life can get to weighing very heavily on someone and just a helping hand like that can make a world of difference. Will be praying for her and her family and for you to have the Lord's direction on this.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:33 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I had postpardum depression, and this is what's made me very sensitive to it. I can tell you that she wouldn't go to the hospital. She hasn't admitted anything, but I've dealt with this enough to know the warning signs. Perhaps I should set up a time for her to meet with a counselor so that she knows help is coming. She might be more open to this.
If you can't get her to go to the hospital then see if you can get her husband involved. If he won't help then call her OB they can also prescribe medication and suggest she see a therapist. I honestly don't think it would hurt for her to talk to a church counselor but it is NOT a substitution for professional medical help. Believe it or not if you truely think she is at risk of harming herself or the baby you can just call an ambulance and they will take her with out her consent. It may be harsh, but it may be in her best interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity