Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 11:49 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times

Advertisements

At first, it wasn't clear why one was differentiating between "in" and "of." As the thread moves along, it seems that some are suggesting that no response on our part is necessary (Since the Bible is pretty clear in this area, I'm wondering if I am perhaps misinterpreting what is being said ... or if the emphasis here is again on UR?). Two of many examples:

John 3:16-18 -- 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

John 14:1 -- “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 12:22 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You're a male? I saw 'Rose'...and always thought female. Funny.
How do you know she does not have a wife?

Or is not a homosexual?

Old 12-16-2018, 05:08 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,029,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
At first, it wasn't clear why one was differentiating between "in" and "of." As the thread moves along, it seems that some are suggesting that no response on our part is necessary (Since the Bible is pretty clear in this area, I'm wondering if I am perhaps misinterpreting what is being said ... or if the emphasis here is again on UR?). Two of many examples:

John 3:16-18 -- 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

John 14:1 -- “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.
Dear JG: are you aware of the descriptive present tense of koine also known as the progressive present?

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever “continues or goes on believing” in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever “continues believing” in him is not condemned, but whoever does not “continue believing” stands condemned already because they have not “continued believing” in the name of God’s one and only Son."

There are three tenses in the salvation of our Lord: past, present & future.

The story has been told of a beautiful incident that occurred many years ago in the North of England.

A young Salvation Army girl, only recently saved, was overflowing with the joy of the Lord and was eager to share her salvation with all others. Walking along the street of a little Durham city, she saw a tall, gray-haired man coming toward her and, stranger though he was, she stopped him and said,

"Pardon me, sir, but are you saved?"

The tall stranger leaned over toward her and answered, with a quizzical smile playing on his kindly face:

"My dear, do you mean ESOTHEN, or SOZOMENOS, or SOTHESOMAI?"

The Salvation Army girl was bewildered - it was "all Greek" to her!

She did not know that she had stopped bishop Westcott, one of the greatest of Greek scholars and an editor of the famous Westcott and Hort edition of the Greek New Testament.

He had asked her, using three different tenses of the Greek verb: "Do you mean, I was saved, or do you mean, I am being saved, or do you mean, I shall be saved?"

And then bishop Westcott, who was indeed saved and knew that he was saved, lovingly explained a little of the three tenses of the gospel to the young girl, and showed her something of the riches of her past salvation, her ongoing salvation, and her future salvation, from spirit to soul to body; and before they separated that earnest young girl knew more about the gospel and her Saviour than she had ever known before, and went away rejoicing that she had asked this tall stranger whether he was saved."

Old 12-16-2018, 05:17 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Friends: A little something has been stirring in me today regarding faith.
What is faith?
Faith=pisteo= strong persuasion
Pisteo akin to peitho
We read of the "faith of God" -Romans 3.3
"Your faith" -Rom. 1.8 /2 Cor.2.5/ 2 Cor. 15.17/ Eph. 1.15/ 2 Tim. 1.3/1 Tim. 3.9/ 2 Tim. 1.3
"The faith of Christ" -Gal. 2,16
"The faith of the Son of God" -Gal. 2.20"
"The faith of Christ" -Phil. 3.9
"Profession of our faith." -Hebr. 10.23
"Christ the Author & Finisher of our faith" -Hebr. 12.2
Hopefully we will pursue this further in coming posts
What are your thoughts?
The faith and confidence that Jesus has was Not based on ' blind faith ' (credulity)
Jesus based his faith, his beliefs, on the old Hebrew Scriptures.
Jesus used logical reasoning on the Hebrew Scriptures every time he said, " It is written..." meaning already written down in the OT. So, Jesus was Not basing his faith on thin air but on what was already recorded as the Word of God.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
She did not know that she had stopped bishop Westcott, one of the greatest of Greek scholars and an editor of the famous Westcott and Hort edition of the Greek New Testament.
He had asked her, using three different tenses of the Greek verb: "Do you mean, I was saved, or do you mean, I am being saved, or do you mean, I shall be saved?"
And then bishop Westcott, who was indeed saved and knew that he was saved,.....................
Apparently Westcott knew more than Jesus knew, because at Matthew 24:13 Jesus makes it clear that one must endure to the end in order to be saved.
True, we can be in a 'saved condition' but that does Not guarantee on could Not fall away. - 1st Cor. 9:27.
Those of Matthew 12:32 were saved, but become un-saved when they fell away.

So, either we endure faithful to death, or endure faithful to the coming ' time of separation ' on Earth as per Matthew 25:31-33,37,40. Notice only the figurative living humble ' sheep ' are considered or counted as righteous ones.
They are the ones who are ' saved/delivered/rescued ' through the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14.
Before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Is humanity saved through its faith in Jesus Christ? Or through the faithfulness of Jesus Christ?
Seems as if it is' both' because Jesus said at Matthew 24:13 to endure to the end to be saved.
So, the faithful are saved through faith in Jesus Christ, and because of the faithfulness of Jesus Christ.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Jesus says----
All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.
seems Jesus is the best judge as to what "faith" really means...
and god has said what we are required to to do----
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk prudently with your God.
Even if Jesus would never drive away, does Not mean the person himself can't do the driving away.
Those of Matthew 12:32 sure drove themselves away, Far away by committing the unforgivable sin.
So, the conditions, or going through the process of Zephaniah 2:3 need to be met.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
So by these words one's own faithfulness saves them.
"The words of the upright deliver them but the speech of the wicked is a deadly ambush."
I'd like to add to the ' words ' with upright ' actions, 'such as those of Matthew 25:37 do good to Jesus' brothers' of verse 40.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
John 14:1 -- "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me."
John 14:1 -- "Do not let your heart be troubled, you believe God, believe also me.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:30 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Matthew 17:5
This is my son in whom i am well pleased, listen to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity