Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Growing up I was always taught that the new covenant through Jesus did away with old dietary laws, shown in 1 Timothy 4:4 "For Every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it be recieved with thanksgiving." However, I have encountered many websites that say this is misinterpreted to mean that God is accepting of unclean foods when in reality God's law laid out in Leviticus has not changed. Can somebody help me out here?
Leviticus was written for the Hebrews. It is Hebrew law. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad, or that Gentiles shouldn't be familiar with it, but it also means that it wasn't given for the Gentiles. If we first look at the decisions of Acts 15, we see that the Apostles in Jerusalem determined that there was no need to apply Jewish law to Gentiles. This mirrors the Apostle Paul's treatment in various Epistles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:34 PM

425 posts, read 366,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
Leviticus was written for the Hebrews. It is Hebrew law. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad, or that Gentiles shouldn't be familiar with it, but it also means that it wasn't given for the Gentiles. If we first look at the decisions of Acts 15, we see that the Apostles in Jerusalem determined that there was no need to apply Jewish law to Gentiles. This mirrors the Apostle Paul's treatment in various Epistles.
Leviticus was written for anyone who wants to present themselves before the YHVH without offending . The codes for ritual cleanliness minus the literal sacrifices are fitting for some one preparing to partake of the Eucharist . Want it put another way ? Don't you prefer to entertain and have have physical contact with folks who are into personal hygiene ? Is it really proper for a couple to copulate and rush to church for Communion ? Three are lines in NT lifestyles as well as the old. Soaking a piece of meat in salt water to pull out the blood is proper protocol to this day.

lev 18 7
None of you unto any relation of his flesh doth draw near to uncover nakedness; I am Jehovah. 7 The nakedness of thy father and the nakedness of thy mother thou dost not uncover, she is thy mother; thou dost not uncover her nakedness.
Lev 15 16
16 'And when a man's seed of copulation goeth out from him, then he hath bathed with water all his flesh, and been unclean till the evening. 17 'And any garment, or any skin on which there is seed of copulation, hath also been washed with water, and been unclean till the evening. 18 'And a woman with whom a man lieth with seed of copulation, they also have bathed with water, and been unclean till the evening.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:53 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,479 times
It's not really about what I prefer. It's about understanding Law and Gospel as passed down from the Apostles. When there is a clear Apostolic witness to this issue from the First Century, and further witness amongst the Church Fathers, I think it's ridiculous to be rehashing the debate 1950 years later.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
It's not really about what I prefer. It's about understanding Law and Gospel as passed down from the Apostles. When there is a clear Apostolic witness to this issue from the First Century, and further witness amongst the Church Fathers, I think it's ridiculous to be rehashing the debate 1950 years later.
Yeah it is , a Torah of flesh and blood was given instead of rock. A Torah that is flexible bit that retains it's integrity IE Preference. Paul pointed out that Eating and Drinking without self examination brought on sickness and death. The codes for Holiness are still the codes for Holiness they simply have a newer interpretation /application. If one shows up for the wedding improperly clothed they are tossed out. Like it or not much of the sickness and horrible means of death folks endure is brought on by their own shortcomings in regards to Self Examination and celebrating the Eucharist. The Torah is still the source pointed out by JC to examine ones self. No matter how hard we try to say we are like Paul there is no one doing the things he was capable of . Christians reject Torah as much as Jews reject Christ. That is the root issue of debate then and now.

Last edited by Rabbi Dakota; 04-13-2010 at 02:36 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 12:45 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,730 times
No,Jesus death physically changed something for us,and His words are the truth.So don't worry about bottom dwellers,whether fish have fins and scales,eating pork,etc."It's all good".
if we have to worry about the old testament,then don't get piercings or tattoos,either.but of course,those are fine.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
if we have to worry about the old testament,then don't get piercings or tattoos,either.but of course,those are fine.
Oh , you couldn't be more wrong.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:59 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Hey, as long as peanut M&M's, charred Rib Eye, french roast coffee, Maryland Blue Crabs,
and of course BACON ,
is legal.........

I'm good

Old 04-16-2010, 01:09 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,664 times
NIV ©Col 2:8 "See to it that no-one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ."

I agree, keep it on the Word of God...follow His advice and glorify Jesus in all you affairs. We are told not to be legalists. When our time comes to leave this earth, it will be determined by God, not by the health field or nutritionists.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:27 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
in Deuteronomy 14" 7-.....``Them that chew the cud or of them that divide the cloven hoof as a camel and the hare and the coney for they chew the cud or droppings, but divide not the hoof therfore they are uncleaned unto you.... and the swine because it divideth the hoof you shall not eat of it flesh....... theses you shall eat of all that are in the waters all that have fins and scales shall you eat, ... and whatever hath not fins and scales you shall not eat ... i the birds which you shall not eat the eagle and the osprey... and the glede and the kite and the vulture after his kind... and every raven after his kind... and the owl and the night hawk and the cuckoo and the hawk after his kind.... the little owl and the swan ... and the pelican and the gier eagle and the cormorant and the stork and the heron after it kind and the lapwing and the bat``............ There are many thing here that most would not eat in the natural because it is unhealthy.....By the New Covenment of the Spirit you can eat these things and will not blaspheme the Holy Spirit , but if you eat to much of it you can get ill and then the Lord will try to get you to eat better........ The animals here we should not eat are rabbits that eat their poo and birds that eat meat, and fish and shellfish that eats from the bottom on the waters and the pig and mammals that have cloven hoofs, I know that most pig meat has worms that must be cooked well done before eating......enjoy! pork chops

Old 04-18-2010, 04:38 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Hey, as long as peanut M&M's, charred Rib Eye, french roast coffee, Maryland Blue Crabs,
and of course BACON ,
is legal.........

I'm good
yum! I'll eat it and afterwards,go get another piercing and a new tat I'm not goin' to hell for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity