Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 11:52 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Dear Jimmie: thank you for bringing that to my attention. The forum rules are just and rest assured Rosey will abide by them.

Mike555 said

"It's the New Testament Church. The church which is the body of Christ did not exist until the day of Pentecost 50 days after the resurrection of Jesus. And yes, it is scriptural. Oh, the words 'New Testament church' aren't found in the text, but it is the New Testament church. And you, once again, have no idea what you are talking about."

Scripture says

"This is he that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel that spake to him in the Mount Sinai, and with our fathers: who received living oracles to give unto us"
Two different things entirely. Israel and the church are two different peoples of God. The church of which Jesus spoke was a future event which did not yet exist. Simply refer to Matthew 16:18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 AM

192 posts, read 186,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Jesus' return to earth hasn't happened yet. It would have been in all the papers.

It would have been obvious to one and all.

Rapture fanatics continue to argue that Jesus will return two, three or even four times depending upon their particular version of the fantasy.

The Bible says He will return. That's pretty much certain. Whether He will come early to yank cowards out of unpleasant situations or not is a matter of a certain level of American foolishness.

At root of the rapture fantasy is a yellow streak a mile long. The Bible nowhere says Jesus will pull believers out of a hard situation.

"I pray not that thou shouldest take them from the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil one."
- Jesus as quoted by John 17:15

Jesus knew what He was talking about, but as always fools tend to want things to go their way instead of listening to the Master.

The Bible says God will never leave us or forsake us in troubled times (Hebrews 13:5b). Though trouble afflicts us like a tsunami God will stand with us through the storm.

We are called to good courage in the midst of tribulation so as to promote faith and trust and confidence in the mighty hand of God to deliver us through it.

The rapture is a doctrine of cowards, who argue constantly in favor of it despite there being no contextual basis for it at all. Fools they are and fools they will remain despite the hand of God being extended toward them to uphold them in the day of trouble. They deny the very benefit of God in hard times and good - always looking for an exit that never comes.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
These are the careless, prideful words of a person the scriptures describe as "a fool." They're full of emotion and haughty opinion. But, you certainly are free to dance on that thin ice to your heart's content.

I don't say that because of any specific belief, or disbelief, in the rapture. The sheer attitude, arrogance and ego in the tone of your comment alone, not to mention the flagrantly out of context use of scripture, is wildly unChristlike.

Your comment clearly demonstrates the problem with society today. It's all opinion and no facts. And opinions are not facts, contrary to what anyone thinks.

Seriously thin ice indeed.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Search "rapture"

There are no concordance results for "rapture" in the KJV.

Search "rapture"

Please modify your search query and try again.
The word 'rapture' is taken from the Latin Vulgate which translates the Greek word ἁρπάζω - harpazó as 'rapiemur.'

The Greek word ἁρπάζω-harpazó translates into Latin as 'rapiemur, which translates into English as 'to seize, catch up, snatch away', and is popularly referred to as the 'rapture' from the Latin word 'rapiemur.

Westcott and Hort 1881
ἔπειτα ἡμεῖς οἱ ζῶντες οἱ περιλειπόμενοι ἅμα σὺν αὐτοῖς ἁρπαγησόμεθα ἐν νεφέλαις εἰς ἀπάντησιν τοῦ κυρίου εἰς ἀέρα· καὶ οὕτως πάντοτε σὺν κυρίῳ ἐσόμεθα.

I Thessalonicenses 4:17 Latin: Vulgata Clementina
Deinde nos, qui vivimus, qui relinquimur, simul rapiemur c um illis in nubibus obviam Christo in aëra, et sic semper c um Domino erimus.

New American Standard Bible
Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

https://biblehub.com/multi/1_thessalonians/4-17.htm

The rapture of the church is the catching up of the church mentioned by Paul.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:45 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The word 'rapture' is taken from the Latin Vulgate which translates the Greek word ἁρπάζω - harpazó as 'rapiemur.'

The Greek word ἁρπάζω-harpazó translates into Latin as 'rapiemur, which translates into English as 'to seize, catch up, snatch away', and is popularly referred to as the 'rapture' from the Latin word 'rapiemur.

Westcott and Hort 1881
ἔπειτα ἡμεῖς οἱ ζῶντες οἱ περιλειπόμενοι ἅμα σὺν αὐτοῖς ἁρπαγησόμεθα ἐν νεφέλαις εἰς ἀπάντησιν τοῦ κυρίου εἰς ἀέρα· καὶ οὕτως πάντοτε σὺν κυρίῳ ἐσόμεθα.

Deinde nos, qui vivimus, qui relinquimur, simul rapiemur c um illis in nubibus obviam Christo in aëra, et sic semper c um Domino erimus.

Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

The rapture, the gathering up/catching up, in the vernacular of Yeshua, would be, "first" the "tares" are "gathered up", "bundled" and "burned", and then the wheat is put into the barn. (Matthew 13:30) The tares being the "wicked" (Matthew 13:49), those who commit lawlessness (Matthew 13:41), the church of Paul. Of course Paul's gospel of grace is the inverse of the gospel of the kingdom, and he calls good evil and evil good. Just saying. Tic toc

Old 02-19-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. Ryter View Post
These are the careless, prideful words of a person the scriptures describe as "a fool." They're full of emotion and haughty opinion. But, you certainly are free to dance on that thin ice to your heart's content.

I don't say that because of any specific belief, or disbelief, in the rapture. The sheer attitude, arrogance and ego in the tone of your comment alone, not to mention the flagrantly out of context use of scripture, is wildly unChristlike.

Your comment clearly demonstrates the problem with society today. It's all opinion and no facts. And opinions are not facts, contrary to what anyone thinks.

Seriously thin ice indeed.

Someone is sure coming across as "haughty" and full of "opinion". It would be helpful if you were more specific in your accusations. Let us hear the truth, not some traditions of men. As for "Christlike", I think Yeshua threw the money changers out of the temple, and threatened to cut down and throw those without "good fruit"/good works, into the fire. I think you are mixing up the gospel of the kingdom of heaven with the false gospel of grace/cross. You can either heed the testimony of Yeshua, and have a foundation of rock, or you can follow your pal Paul and his church, and built your house on a foundation of sand (Matthew 7:23-27). As for comparing LF as a "fool", that would be a unwise move per Matthew 5:22.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Two different things entirely. Israel and the church are two different peoples of God. The church of which Jesus spoke was a future event which did not yet exist. Simply refer to Matthew 16:18.

New International Version Matthew 16:18
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

Peter, petros, is not the rock/petras, that I will build my church. And the church of Paul is the church of the tares, and certainly not the tabernacle/sanctuary of the LORD,, which is Zion (Psalm 110:2), and will be populated by the combined sticks of Ephraim and Judah (Ezekiel 37:15-28). The "foreigners"/Gentiles will be required to keep the sabbath and My covenant to worship in My mountain (Zion). (Isaiah 56:6)

Psalm 110:2
The LORD will extend Your mighty scepter from Zion: "Rule in the midst of your enemies."

Old 02-19-2019, 01:33 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,166,420 times
It's remarkable the rancor the rapture stirs up.......and the same tired arguments surface every time with maybe another wrinkle thrown in. It's nothing to separate over but you can tell where everybody is by their position.......Paul is the apostle they single out to attack, not knowing he is the key man many secrets hidden in the mind of God since the void were revealed to.......the disciples were far behind Paul. All those defaming Paul have basically shut off their chance to be saved by grace........too bad for them........in any case the rapture will happen when the Lord gives the signal......a quiet disappearance of the saints for the main purpose of receiving glorified bodies long awaited by those gone on before.....

Old 02-19-2019, 01:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:

Westcott and Hort 1881

The Latin Vulgate is known for its errors, but you go right on following Rome.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Westcott and Hort 1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Latin Vulgate is known for its errors, but you go right on following Rome.
"Rapiemur" is from the Latin future passive meaning "we shall be carried away," or "we shall be snatched," and is the equivalent of the Greek word 'Harpazo'. Rome has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:17 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,029,001 times
It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth)

How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

"caught up"=

harpazō

"We that are alive, that are left, shall together with them be caught up in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

"caught up=

harpazō

https://www.biblestudytools.com/1-th...7-compare.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity