Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 09:06 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,401,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It was an observation he made when first reading the NT. Yes, I believe he came to believe that. I’ve read this book numerous times and am now doing a book study with my Bible study group. Personally, I regard the entire book as profound.

Here’s an excerpt:

Mere C.S. Lewis: The invasion of enemy-occupied territory
What exactly is this great campaign of sabotage?
Do you want to discuss what you are posting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 PM

88,684 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What do you consider the enemies territory?

I believe it is very much relevant.
It is not about what I consider the enemy's territory. The OP started a thread about something perceived to be happening when people are living, not what happens to them after they die, and he would like to continue the discussion on that topic.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-19-2019 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Corrected typo

Old 03-18-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Well, Jimmie, what are these secret messages that you have failed to answer, when specifically asked?
And are your beliefs not a product of what you have been taught and come to believe in this world?

I believe it leaves the enemies territory open for discussion, relevant to what you have been taught.
And what the Churches teach as far as I am concerned. Now, what are these secret messages?
What you are taught while you are living is significant, so what are these secret messages given to Christians? If you do not want to use your own words to discuss something, then use Clive Staples Lewis's words, instead of posting an excerpt which leaves things open for interpretation. In other words, elaborate a bit more, if your intention is to discuss it.

Last edited by Jerwade; 03-18-2019 at 10:52 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Is CS Lewis correct that this world is enemy territory for believers? Further, does God speak to believers secretly?
No, those who are professing to be believers (fundamentalists) are making themselves an enemy of humanity.
And, no, he does not speak secretly through a book to those attending a Bible study or Church service.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:32 AM

What is this sabotage that Lewis speaks of, Jimmie? It can be difficult to love your enemy, while he persecutes you. To speak the truth in love, when he condemns you. It's loving your neighbor, even if he hates you. It's loving your enemies and doing the right thing, regardless of how they are acting or what they are saying. It's not about dusting your feet-off thinking you are above them because you believe you have some kind of secret message - the message has always been about loving others (as you should be loving yourself). You may not agree with me, but I find some of the teachings of Christianity (religion), repugnant and/or repulsive. Isn't it about time that wall of partition or separation be torn-down completely. It's not about damning someone to hell, because they do not believe what others think they should believe - it's about reaching out with the love of God in Christ Jesus. And the goodness, love, and mercy of God is not dependent on the fallacious teachings of eternal damnation. Whether, you or anyone else likes that is irrelevant.

Last edited by Jerwade; 03-19-2019 at 02:52 AM..

Old 03-19-2019, 03:08 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,341,225 times
Quote:
What exactly is this great campaign of sabotage?
Do you want to discuss what you are posting?
I think there has been an all out assault and sabotage on Lewis' writing. I do not believe for 1 minute he was saying what the fundamentalists have conjured up from his writings.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:19 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,041,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I think there has been an all out assault and sabotage on Lewis' writing. I do not believe for 1 minute he was saying what the fundamentalists have conjured up from his writings.
Dear Paul: Nor does Rosey!

"In the Christian story God descends to reascend. He comes down;.... down to the very roots and sea-bed of the Nature He has created. But He goes down to come up again and bring the whole ruined world up with Him." -C.S. Lewis

http://georgemacdonald.info/lewis.html

Old 03-19-2019, 03:38 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,041,793 times
"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -C. S. Lewis-

Old 03-19-2019, 04:53 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,888,273 times
Any enemy of humanity is an enemy of God, according to the Bible.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:49 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,817,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Any enemy of humanity is an enemy of God, according to the Bible.
Is this what you’re referring to?

James 4:4

You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Or something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity