Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 03:02 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Interesting topic! I happen to love the Psalms.

"So Jesus death didn't take away anyone's sin."

Pretty bold sentence for this place!
Good luck with that!
I'm won't touch it.
As Gordon Ramsey says, ‘Touch it, just touch it!’...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 03:03 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Redemption is the theme of the entire Bible.
Show me this in the Torah...

Old 08-10-2019, 04:04 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
This idea that we are literally washed pure of sin--having our sins gone---simply by a belief and nothing else is, at least in my view, what leads to some of the awful self-righteous attitudes Christians display. Through Christ we have forgiveness of sins. That forgiveness and grace is a transformation of our minds into a new creation---born of Spirit---one who understands grace and forgiveness and tries to do likewise. Jesus taught consequences for actions. If you walk around thinking that Christ took away your sins, literally, rather than as a model of forgiveness, it is a perfect prologue to believing you are better than others. As if by the Jesus prayer magic formula, you are now clean, and everyone else is dirty. When you sin again and get dirty, say the prayer, and then you are clean, and everyone else is dirty...and repeat...not good. Anyway, that's how I see redemption, but it is an evolving topic I have been thinking about.
Quote:
Absolutely, you have to have faith. And you can't earn forgiveness, but can only say "yes" to the free gift. But I still don't believe the sins are "taken away" but instead forgiven. There are too many times where Jesus talks about consequences for actions. You can't escape the consequences. If you murder someone, you can be forgiven and right with God through faith in the Savior, but there will be consequences that arise from that (reap what you sow etc.) I think it creates a different, more humble, mindset when you believe you are forgiven vs. when you believe you are "washed clean." But, I don't believe that there is anything that can be done to earn the free gift of grace. Likewise you can't earn the forgiveness of another brother or sister, it is just a gift even given to someone who hasn't asked for it.
The concept of our sins being taken away is quite Biblical.
1 John 3:5 You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin.

John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
Jesus took away our sins as the Lamb of God whose redemptive work on the cross atoned for our sins. He took away our sins by bearing our sins in his own body on the cross and taking the penalty for them in our place.
1 Peter 2:4 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
Our sins were judicially imputed to him as he hung on the cross. Having been imputed to him, our sins were judicially transferred from us. As a result of our sins having been judged at the cross, and the penalty for those sins paid for by Jesus, we as believers ought not continue to live in sin. But when we do sin we are to simply name the sin to God as per the principle of 1 John 1:9 to get back into fellowship with God. That's grace.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:46 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Psalm 34:22 states that the servant of God is redeemed. He incurs no guilt.

Jesus said this also but in a veiled way.

Since the servant of God is the son then Jesus was spot on in saying that the son frees man from sin.

I doubt anyone can agree with this since the indoctrination is so deep but there it is. Scripture backs it up.

No one can be redeemed unless they are God's son and servant.

Psalm 34:22

"The Lord redeems the lives of His servants,no one who takes refuge in Him incurs guilt."

So Jesus death didn't take away anyone's sin.

What say you?
Quote:
So Jesus death didn't take away anyone's sin.
PLEASE LOOK UP WHAT REDEEMS MEANS?

Psa 34:22

The LORD redeems the soul of His servants,
And none of those who trust in Him shall be condemned.

I SEE YOU DIDN'T USE THIS VERSE WHICH SAYS ALMOST THE SAME THING..
Psa 103:4

Who redeems your life from destruction,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,

Death is/was / will be " the condemnation".

https://www.bing.com/search?q=MEANIN...logo=CT3210127
and visit
The story of Ruth and the Kinsman redeemer concept...

AND AS FAR AS I KNOW ............ A SERVANT ISN'T A PROPERTY OWNER TO MAKE THAT TRANSACTION.
A SERVANT IS ALREADY OWNED.
YOU HAVE TO HAVE PROPERTY RIGHTS ( as the son of God was the son opf king david and a Atalas and thus had world wide property right) when he went into the grave...... TO HAVE A REDEEMER..AND SERVANTS DON'T HAVE PROPERTY RIGHTS!
HE saves "THE servants" in Paradise . They didn't get freedom from the condemnation of "Death" and hell.....until He died and more importantly rose up with them in tow......

BUT ISA 53 PROVES SOMEONE ELSE IS ALSO CO HEIRS AND CO-EQUALS IN THE DIVISION OF PROPERTY/ SPOILS. so there is more to the story than us being only servants..and more being offered than just servanthood..

The Jews were always called "his servants" and rarely one is called his son .. king david.... and and ???? Moses ?
they had the same promises to become redeemed one promised day..
when the Promised one / Messiah came.
They were not fully "saved "then.. they still went into Death and then into "Paradise" and held in death/ condemned for the promised day... when they would be uncondemned ..
He would one day redeem them from death. right?
read Isa 53 again.

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 08-10-2019 at 05:59 PM..

Old 08-10-2019, 05:48 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The concept of our sins being taken away is quite Biblical.
1 John 3:5 You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin.

John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
Jesus took away our sins as the Lamb of God whose redemptive work on the cross atoned for our sins. He took away our sins by bearing our sins in his own body on the cross and taking the penalty for them in our place.
1 Peter 2:4 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
Our sins were judicially imputed to him as he hung on the cross. Having been imputed to him, our sins were judicially transferred from us. As a result of our sins having been judged at the cross, and the penalty for those sins paid for by Jesus, we as believers ought not continue to live in sin. But when we do sin we are to simply name the sin to God as per the principle of 1 John 1:9 to get back into fellowship with God. That's grace.
Yes in the son there is forgiveness but that is if you become the son, the servant of God.

" take my yoke upon you and learn from me......"

Old 08-11-2019, 01:16 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
This idea that we are literally washed pure of sin--having our sins gone---simply by a belief and nothing else is, at least in my view, what leads to some of the awful self-righteous attitudes Christians display. Through Christ we have forgiveness of sins. That forgiveness and grace is a transformation of our minds into a new creation---born of Spirit---one who understands grace and forgiveness and tries to do likewise. Jesus taught consequences for actions. If you walk around thinking that Christ took away your sins, literally, rather than as a model of forgiveness, it is a perfect prologue to believing you are better than others. As if by the Jesus prayer magic formula, you are now clean, and everyone else is dirty. When you sin again and get dirty, say the prayer, and then you are clean, and everyone else is dirty...and repeat...not good. Anyway, that's how I see redemption, but it is an evolving topic I have been thinking about.
Quote:
Absolutely, you have to have faith. And you can't earn forgiveness, but can only say "yes" to the free gift. But I still don't believe the sins are "taken away" but instead forgiven. There are too many times where Jesus talks about consequences for actions. You can't escape the consequences. If you murder someone, you can be forgiven and right with God through faith in the Savior, but there will be consequences that arise from that (reap what you sow etc.) I think it creates a different, more humble, mindset when you believe you are forgiven vs. when you believe you are "washed clean." But, I don't believe that there is anything that can be done to earn the free gift of grace. Likewise you can't earn the forgiveness of another brother or sister, it is just a gift even given to someone who hasn't asked for it.
There is no love without forgiveness, and no forgiveness without love; for what power has love, but that of forgiveness. One cannot impute sin, where there is no sin - but one can forgive the sins of others through that of love. And that is the beauty of Grace in action.

Last edited by Jerwade; 08-11-2019 at 01:29 AM..

Old 08-11-2019, 06:46 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There is no love without forgiveness, and no forgiveness without love; for what power has love, but that of forgiveness. One cannot impute sin, where there is no sin - but one can forgive the sins of others through that of love. And that is the beauty of Grace in action.
That is a very beautiful explanation. Thank you!

Old 08-11-2019, 08:56 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Forgiving others does not take away there sin.

You misunderstand forgiveness and the power of God.

"When a wicked man turns from wickedness and does what is right and just he shall live, says the Lord."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity