Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 06:53 AM

709 posts, read 377,794 times

Advertisements

10. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall be dissolved with fervent heat, and the earth and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

11. Seeing that these things are thus all to be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy living and godliness,

12. looking for and earnestly desiring the coming of the day of God, by reason of which the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

13. But, according to his promise, we look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

14. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for these things, give diligence that ye may be found in peace, without spot and blameless in his sight. (2 Peter 3)

Let us be ready for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 07:33 AM

952 posts, read 323,601 times
10. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall be dissolved with fervent heat, and the earth and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

11. Seeing that these things are thus all to be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy living and godliness,

12. looking for and earnestly desiring the coming of the day of God, by reason of which the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

13. But, according to his promise, we look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

14. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for these things, give diligence that ye may be found in peace, without spot and blameless in his sight. (2 Peter 3)

Let us be ready for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ

" Keep Thou my way O Lord , myself I cannot guide ,
Nor dare I trust my erring steps one moment from Thy side.
I cannot thin aright unless inspired by Thee,
My heart would fail without Thy Aid,
Choose Thou my thoughts for me ."

Old 09-21-2019, 10:28 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Ive never understood that verse..."that day will come like a thief in the night",

If thats accurate, it means conditions on the earth, at that time, do not match up with how the bible describes the times... that 'the times' will not look like 'the end is near'.

Besides that, can you imagine a time period on earth, where there are not at least some people who believe 'the end is near' and we are living in the end times? If this ever came to fruition, it would be a time like no other on the earth, there would be peace everywhere, no war mongering...I dont see a time period like this EVER happening.

I have a sneaky feeling, its really saying, this event will NEVER happen.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:43 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive never understood that verse..."that day will come like a thief in the night",

If thats accurate, it means conditions on the earth, at that time, do not match up with how the bible describes the times... that 'the times' will not look like 'the end is near'.

Besides that, can you imagine a time period on earth, where there are not at least some people who believe 'the end is near' and we are living in the end times? If this ever came to fruition, it would be a time like no other on the earth, there would be peace everywhere, no war mongering...I dont see a time period like this EVER happening.

Have you considered that "the day of the Lord" is not a world-wide event? Rather, as I see it, it is an experience (or experiences) that each of us comes to in our own time. If one doesn't read books like the bible with a literal mindset, but rather as pertaining to spiritual things, they make more sense.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:58 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
That doesn't make sense.

Thieves don't announce themselves. They are stealthy and quiet. In the quote above, the "Lord" isn't behaving like a thief. It's more like a pillager, seeking to lay waste to all and sundry.

The bible is weird. You can quote me.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:09 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

That doesn't make sense.

Thieves don't announce themselves. They are stealthy and quiet. In the quote above, the "Lord" isn't behaving like a thief. It's more like a pillager, seeking to lay waste to all and sundry.

The bible is weird. You can quote me.
It did rather sneak up on me out of seemingly nowhere when the fundamentalist doctrines I clung to were pulled out from under me like a rug. But I crashed hard when that happened, so it was a spiritually "noisy" event.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:24 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:

It simply means most people are not paying attention to the signs.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:46 PM

1,196 posts, read 753,387 times
Quote:
Ive never understood that verse..."that day will come like a thief in the night", I have a sneaky feeling, its really saying, this event will NEVER happen.
Jesus was referring to the End of this system /people. we have to make sure we're following in Jesus steps ,(Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me). making sure we're NOT being lovers of the world and the acts of this world, and NOT Jehovah God. which will soon be done away with ,(1John 2:15-17 Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever).

these people are NOT like a man who didn't stays up on all night. making sure no thief will come in and steal his stuff ,(Matt. 24:43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into). keeping on the watch, obeying Jesus Father and following Jesus will cause us to be saved ,(Matt. 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endure to the end shall be saved). jojo

Old 09-21-2019, 05:32 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,956,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Have you considered that "the day of the Lord" is not a world-wide event? .............
To me the coming 'time of separating' on Earth as found at Matthew 25:31-33,37,40 is a world wide event.
It will come in our time frame when Jesus as Shepherd will separate people on Earth.
The ones with a favorable judgement can remain alive on Earth, and continue to live on Earth to see calendar Day One of Jesus' coming 1,000-year reign over Earth.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:37 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,956,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Thieves don't announce themselves. They are stealthy and quiet. In the quote above, the "Lord" isn't behaving like a thief. It's more like a pillager, seeking to lay waste to all and sundry................
Right, Jesus comes by surprise according to 1st Thess. 5:2-3.
When the 'powers that be' will be saying, "Peace and Security.." that will prove to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Rev. 7:14,9 before Jesus as Prince of Peace ushers in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

Who will be destroyed is mentioned at Isaiah 11:3-4; and Rev. 19:14-16
For that matter, according to Psalm 92:7 all the wicked will be destroyed forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity