Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 04:13 PM

15,881 posts, read 6,349,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What do you mean, it doesn't work? Every person is a mix of "unrighteous" and "righteous" living together in the same physical body. It's obviously possible. Like it or not, if you don't learn to focus on and allow God/love to govern you from within, no outside force or Watchtower organization can save you from the suffering you inflict on yourself and others. Fortunately, Love is patient, and it won't give up on you, unlike Jehovah.
Great post Pleroo. It took me so long to figure that out. It took me so long to accept my humanity instead of rejecting it. God accepts our humanity but it's we who have trouble with it. It was only by believing that God had saw me and accepted me that gave me the courage to look.

They believe in a wheat/chaff type of thing. My mind still likes to split that way and it's agonizing when it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 05:02 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Great post Pleroo. It took me so long to figure that out. It took me so long to accept my humanity instead of rejecting it. God accepts our humanity but it's we who have trouble with it. It was only by believing that God had saw me and accepted me that gave me the courage to look.

They believe in a wheat/chaff type of thing. My mind still likes to split that way and it's agonizing when it does.
When you say “humanity”, do you mean all have sinned? When you say God accepts our humanity, do you mean For God so loved the world? And by “believing”, do you mean become a new creation?

You know that makes you a Christian, right?

Old 09-04-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
When you say “humanity”, do you mean all have sinned? When you say God accepts our humanity, do you mean For God so loved the world? And by “believing”, do you mean become a new creation?

You know that makes you a Christian, right?
I had to take the dagger out and turn it into a crucifix (thanks to Peter Gabriel for the imagery) and heal myself the same way I was hurt. Going into it I thought my humanity was about sinfulness and weakness and all that bad stuff. When I looked it was nothing like that. I don't believe in sin anymore. I think people who talk about sin lack humility because of what I saw.

Jimmie. I'm an atheist. Everything that I experienced has rational explanations. Someone else might have these experiences and take it as proof of God. Neither one of us are wrong.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:17 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I had to take the dagger out and turn it into a crucifix (thanks to Peter Gabriel for the imagery) and heal myself the same way I was hurt. Going into it I thought my humanity was about sinfulness and weakness and all that bad stuff. When I looked it was nothing like that. I don't believe in sin anymore. I think people who talk about sin lack humility because of what I saw.

Jimmie. I'm an atheist. Everything that I experienced has rational explanations. Someone else might have these experiences and take it as proof of God. Neither one of us are wrong.
I know you’re an atheist, but your worldview sounds like Christianity.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I know you’re an atheist, but your worldview sounds like Christianity.
I will take that as a huge compliment considering it's from a Christain. From what I know of your beliefs I don't see where you see a match. What about what I said do you think sounds like Christianity?

The only difference between many of the believers on this board and myself are our conclusions. None of us get to pick what equipment we are born with, the experiences that shape us, and everything that goes into how we see things. If I had walked in your shoes I might see it your way and if you had walked in mine you'd see it my way. That's why I believe we all, at our core, have something we can't add to or subtract from. Put whatever Jimmie is in L8, give him her experiences and perception and you'd live your life the same way I've lived mine. Given all that am I a sinner? Are you a sinner? Think about your "sin"? Given where you were at the time could you have done it any differently? Maybe you learn from your "sin" and correct yourself but at the time you couldn't have changed a thing. "Sin" is just another experience that shaps us. It's no better or worse than any other. I don't think that's anything to get worked up about. I don't think we have as much control as we like to think. That's why I think people who focus on sin lack a certain humility. It seems to me they attribute control to themselves they don't have.

That doesn't sound very Christain does it Jimmie?

Old 09-04-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Jehovah views life as precious. Do you share His view? If you do then you can

Display heartfelt love and respect for others Mat 22:39 and 1 Jn 3:15

Speak to others about God and His offer of everlasting life. 1 Cor 9:22,23; 2 Pet 3:9

Conduct yourself safely in all things Pro 22:3
You should probably drop the bomb on them that most of them aren't going to make it.

I know the Watchtower likes to use this scripture:

Matt. 7:14
13Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it. 15Beware of false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.…

Old 09-04-2020, 07:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Shunning is evil.

Protecting pedophiles is evil.

Denying blood products to those in need is evil.

The logical conclusion follows for any organization which practices the above.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:27 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,010,199 times
Default God is not cruel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Nothing I say will break a hardened heart, only God can do that. But I will answer anyway...punishment without corrective action is cruel...God is not cruel...period. He doesn't kill most people...that is absurd and teaching it is borderline blasphemy...careful were YOU tread.

I agree God is not cruel, and it is your choice to live or die, He stated: (Deuteronomy 30:19, 20) . . .I take the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you today that I have put life and death before you, the blessing and the curse; and you must choose life so that you may live, you and your descendants, 20 by loving Jehovah your God, by listening to his voice, and by sticking to him, for he is your life and by him you will endure a long time in the land that Jehovah swore to give to your forefathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.. . .

Now I know that appears historical and to the Jews, and was not referring to everlasting life, but it is a fact. Jehovah puts everlasting life in front of each and every one of us, however like citizenship in any country, there are requirements. If you decide to choose life, you are agreeing to be obedient to those requirements. Are you willing to do so sir?

Old 09-05-2020, 06:30 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,010,199 times
Default doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What do you mean, it doesn't work? Every person is a mix of "unrighteous" and "righteous" living together in the same physical body. It's obviously possible. Like it or not, if you don't learn to focus on and allow God/love to govern you from within, no outside force or Watchtower organization can save you from the suffering you inflict on yourself and others. Fortunately, Love is patient, and it won't give up on you, unlike Jehovah.

So like many you are not able to discern the world is passing away at this time. Fear not maam, like I finished with Mat 24:22, you will be able to discern that it cannot happen the closer we get. Before the return of Jesus, you will know man cannot survive without Jehovah.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:11 AM

3,837 posts, read 1,390,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
So like many you are not able to discern the world is passing away at this time. Fear not maam, like I finished with Mat 24:22, you will be able to discern that it cannot happen the closer we get. Before the return of Jesus, you will know man cannot survive without Jehovah.
If your JW organization is to be believed for the 100 some-odd years since it's beginning, no hospitals would ever have been built, no soup-kitchens operated, no schools formed, no universities established, etc etc.
The world has been 'passing away' for thousands of years, and will continue to just as it has. But these things HAVE been done, by those who DO follow Christ (heal the sick, feed the hungry, etc), just NOT JW's.
I mean really, what fruits can be seen from the JW tree?
You didn't answer the last time I asked you.
Jesus told us we could 'judge them by their fruits'.
What fruits have ye?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity