Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 03:21 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
I'm just saying that if any Catholic is going to convince someone of a doctrine to someone who is sola scriptura, they need to have scripture to back up their doctrine.

Men are fallible and can err in what they say to the people (including Popes).

Psa 118:8, It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
Psa 118:9, It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.
And in what they may have written down. The truth is, no one has all the right answers to all the details, and no one ever will.

But I don't think anyone was trying to convince you. EscAlaMike was just stating the RCC position, I believe.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Cute?
Sarcastically, like your little rolly-eye, except milder.

It's "cute" to claim that everything about Jesus was written down completely and accurately just because he was Jesus and more impressive and memorable than a random Episcopal priest, but in reality, that could not have been the case.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:30 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And in what they may have written down. The truth is, no one has all the right answers to all the details, and no one ever will.

But I don't think anyone was trying to convince you. EscAlaMike was just stating the RCC position, I believe.
Every time is see the letters RCC the first thing that comes to mind is Royal Crown Cola. But maybe that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Every time is see the letters RCC the first thing that comes to mind is Royal Crown Cola. But maybe that's just me.
Hahaha.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:20 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Quote:
Sarcastically, like your little rolly-eye, except milder.

It's "cute" to claim that everything about Jesus was written down completely and accurately just because he was Jesus and more impressive and memorable than a random Episcopal priest, but in reality, that could not have been the case.
I didn't claim that every thing done by Christ was written down. I do claim that many things were written down by Christ's companions. Very strange that a Christian priest is so skeptical of the Gospel. Hard to speak for Christ when you're not sure who He is.

Old 04-26-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I didn't claim that every thing done by Christ was written down. I do claim that many things were written down by Christ's companions. Very strange that a Christian priest is so skeptical of the Gospel. Hard to speak for Christ when you're not sure who He is.
He's not skeptical of the gospel. He lives it and believes it, particularly the words of Jesus as found in Matthew 37 - 40. He's just realistic about the claim by some that the scriptures are infallible and always meant to be taken literally.

Old 04-26-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
He's not skeptical of the gospel. He lives it and believes it, particularly the words of Jesus as found in Matthew 37 - 40. He's just realistic about the claim by some that the scriptures are infallible and always meant to be taken literally.
This is a lot different than your previous post, below, where it seemed as if this priest had no faith in the gospels.

Quote:
to the bolded.

Also, as a former priest from.my last church pointed out, "an hour from now, you will not be able to repeat what I said here today or even remember all of it. How are we to believe that the gospel authors were able to write everything down years later with complete accuracy?"

Old 04-26-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
This is a lot different than your previous post, below, where it seemed as if this priest had no faith in the gospels.
Ok, I see what you are saying. No, he was talking about people quibbling over words in exact quotes instead of focusing on the big picture.

Old 04-26-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Ok, I see what you are saying. No, he was talking about people quibbling over words in exact quotes instead of focusing on the big picture.

Thanks for providing the rest of the story. He's right about the way people fixate on small things and lose sight of the big picture.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Hahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity