Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:45 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,583 times

Advertisements

This is a controversial subject, but do you think Christians should have defensive firearms in the home? Why, or why not?
I found this in the Bible:
Luke 11:21 .
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his estate, his possessions are secure"

Comments?

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 01:02 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
This is a controversial subject, but do you think Christians should have defensive firearms in the home? Why, or why not?

Comments?

Bud
Luke 11:22 But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils.
Now I don't think that guns are "wrong", or that we need to be careless about the possessions God has entrusted to us.. but my question is: What is our goal in life? What is our life? What is important to us, and what kind of rights do we have? If we feel that everything we own is the Lord's, why do we feel like we need to jealously guard it as our own, perhaps at the expense of someone else's life?

Are we showing that we have "no continuing city" and are just passing through, or are we "trusting in uncertain riches"?

Old 05-23-2008, 01:39 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,538 times
I've grown up around guns. I've even held a license to carry a concealed weapon. At that time in my life, it was a necessay evil.

Being wise as serpents but harmless as doves doesn't mean that we put our heads in the sand. Part of the scripture simply means that we're not to be stupid...concerning things of the world.

Owning a gun to protect your family is not wrong. Don't be silly!

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-23-2008 at 02:53 PM..

Old 05-23-2008, 02:17 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Owning a gun to protect your family is not wrong.
I fully agree!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:53 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,489 times
hunting/defensive firearms are about the same around here (my area) most people have them and most know it. kinda goes along the lines of a locked door keeps an honest neighbor.
in answer to the op..I dont think its wrong at all..but I also pray I never have the need to protect my family in that manner.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Quote:

Comments?

Bud
Guarding your house can stop short of killing the intruder.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
hunting/defensive firearms are about the same around here (my area) most people have them and most know it. kinda goes along the lines of a locked door keeps an honest neighbor.
in answer to the op..I dont think its wrong at all..but I also pray I never have the need to protect my family in that manner.
Amen!

Especially the part of locking our doors keeps an honest neighbor.

And I can agree with this also.

Quote:
Owning a gun to protect your family is not wrong.
I was also raised around guns. Taught how to handle and use one. But never felt the need to have one in my home. But I truly believe there is no wrong in someone else who see it the other way.
Now I am very thankful, as being a woman, that they came out with the cell phone. It just brings a security when I'm traveling knowing if something should happen I can get help.

Blessings

Old 05-23-2008, 03:18 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,139 times
Quote:

Comments?

Bud

Using a gun to prevent someone from harming yourself or someone else is differant than using it to prevent the theft of your stuff.
In the Luke scripture it appears to be the 'stuff' that is being guarded.
If I had to defend myself or a loved one, I hope I could disable the attacker...not kill him/her.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:24 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Using a gun to prevent someone from harming yourself or someone else is differant than using it to prevent the theft of your stuff.
In the Luke scripture it appears to be the 'stuff' that is being guarded.
If I had to defend myself or a loved one, I hope I could disable the attacker...not kill him/her.
Amen!

It's about defending your family or yourself -- not your stuff!

But, if someone breaks into your house to rob it they're probably going to try to hurt you if you happen to be there. (you'd be a witness)

Spent too many years in cities to question that. These days, home invasions are common.

I would not want to harm someone but if they were in my house, I would.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:43 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,459 times
I want to say this in the very nicest and most inoffensive way possible, but just looking at most replies I kind of get the drift of "Absolutely!" "It's my stuff!" "It's my family!" "My right!"

Mine.

Not yours.

(But I thought it was God's?)

WWJD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity