Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 11:00 AM

492 posts, read 143,399 times

Advertisements

The struggles we endure define who we really are in this world.

I would rather have all sorts of problems than being rich and spoiled.

Ever go to the ghetto? No Father around, the woman with 15 kids, most by different men. Packs of dogs running wild.

If you just had all good and nothing bad, how would you grow?

Life is struggle for a reason. Bad things happen, all the time.

America is like a spoiled child.

The Americans on the fronteir suffered greatly. Now we as Americans, we complain about everything.

Get out of yourself, go do something for someone else.

Go to an old folks home, go see the motorcycle accident victims, laying there paralyzed, watching a small TV, with no hope of ever moving again.

Then think of your problems.

I have ADHD, among many other ailments, so what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 02:11 PM

109 posts, read 83,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
The struggles we endure define who we really are in this world.

I would rather have all sorts of problems than being rich and spoiled.

Ever go to the ghetto? No Father around, the woman with 15 kids, most by different men. Packs of dogs running wild.

If you just had all good and nothing bad, how would you grow?

Life is struggle for a reason. Bad things happen, all the time.

America is like a spoiled child.

The Americans on the fronteir suffered greatly. Now we as Americans, we complain about everything.

Get out of yourself, go do something for someone else.

Go to an old folks home, go see the motorcycle accident victims, laying there paralyzed, watching a small TV, with no hope of ever moving again.

Then think of your problems.

I have ADHD, among many other ailments, so what.
Ok, these fallacies of ''other people have it worst, don't complain'' and ''trauma makes you stronger'' gotta stop. Imagine telling someone who lost a loved one in 9/11 not to complain since the Holocaust was worst, or saying that whenever we honor those lost on the anniversary of the event. And sure, one who is extremely sheltered from even mild discomfort in life is gonna struggle in adulthood. But going through trauma(mental health issues, family dysfunction or abuse, and so on) truly breaks many people instead of building you up. There are abusive parents/guardians who justify their abuse to their kids by saying it would toughen them up, when it does anything but(at least not without giving them severe anxiety/depression, completely untrusting of others, trouble in romantic relationships or the workplace,).

Someone who is consistently molested as a child, or a someone who's partner beats them within an inch of their life are not stronger for it. If they deal with these things in therapy and heal, they made themselves stronger if anything. Heck, there are plenty of compassionate, hardworking people who were taught how to handle life and not expect handouts without going through the type of things I mentioned, and if anything it's often because they didn't go through these things. What does your logic say about people who cause these harms to others? Did they not do a bad thing after all if it made you a better person(it largely doesn't but let's assume it does)? Parents can teach their kids to be respectful and the value or a dollar without putting them through poverty or knocking them down the stairs. Sure there may be some people who just happened to not have changed without a major life changing incident, but I don't see that as a being fate, it just was and it is not at all universal.

Saying other people have it worst doesn't make mine or anyone else's problems better. The type of people you mention probably were told similar because there are those worst off than them. That rabbit hole is unproductive as someone somewhere will ALWAYS be better or worst off in some way. Brushing things off because they aren't as bad as XYZ doesn't actually fix these problems or make them hurt less. And your suffering builds character thing is pure survivor's bias. Victims of the Holocaust, mass shootings, people born with severe autism or intellectual disabilities, and so on suffered greatly and didn't live/are unable to reap the supposed benefits of their suffering. Why don't you consider that before spewing such toxic rhetoric to anyone else?

Old 07-26-2023, 02:24 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard103 View Post
Ok, these fallacies of ''other people have it worst, don't complain'' and ''trauma makes you stronger'' gotta stop. Imagine telling someone who lost a loved one in 9/11 not to complain since the Holocaust was worst, or saying that whenever we honor those lost on the anniversary of the event. And sure, one who is extremely sheltered from even mild discomfort in life is gonna struggle in adulthood. But going through trauma(mental health issues, family dysfunction or abuse, and so on) truly breaks many people instead of building you up. There are abusive parents/guardians who justify their abuse to their kids by saying it would toughen them up, when it does anything but(at least not without giving them severe anxiety/depression, completely untrusting of others, trouble in romantic relationships or the workplace,).

Someone who is consistently molested as a child, or a someone who's partner beats them within an inch of their life are not stronger for it. If they deal with these things in therapy and heal, they made themselves stronger if anything. Heck, there are plenty of compassionate, hardworking people who were taught how to handle life and not expect handouts without going through the type of things I mentioned, and if anything it's often because they didn't go through these things. What does your logic say about people who cause these harms to others? Did they not do a bad thing after all if it made you a better person(it largely doesn't but let's assume it does)? Parents can teach their kids to be respectful and the value or a dollar without putting them through poverty or knocking them down the stairs. Sure there may be some people who just happened to not have changed without a major life changing incident, but I don't see that as a being fate, it just was and it is not at all universal.

Saying other people have it worst doesn't make mine or anyone else's problems better. The type of people you mention probably were told similar because there are those worst off than them. That rabbit hole is unproductive as someone somewhere will ALWAYS be better or worst off in some way. Brushing things off because they aren't as bad as XYZ doesn't actually fix these problems or make them hurt less. And your suffering builds character thing is pure survivor's bias. Victims of the Holocaust, mass shootings, people born with severe autism or intellectual disabilities, and so on suffered greatly and didn't live/are unable to reap the supposed benefits of their suffering. Why don't you consider that before spewing such toxic rhetoric to anyone else?
WITL style seems to be about provoking others to react, you have given what was looked for and I doubt it will be reflected on, just gives another opportunity to provoke

I actually think his main focus is on the societal and impersonal state of American society, and not really interested in the individuals that are impacted by American society

I hope you are coming to terms with who you are as a person, I agree with you that there is a lot of inequity and that it isn’t helpful to say well others have it worse so just deal with it - my mother used to say that A LOT and I think that view had an impact on me as I got into a cycle of repression, it wasn’t just that it was also the environment I was brought up in, in my late 30’s I had counselling and therapy as I had been suffering from undiagnosed long term depression which had been hidden by everyone passing it off as me being ‘shy’

Dealing with these things is a long process and requires a lot of understanding… what we can change, what we can’t - we all have our own struggles to deal with, some physical, some emotional and some a mixture

Last edited by Meerkat2; 07-26-2023 at 02:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity