Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:06 PM

348 posts, read 558,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
This only flies if you believe that the Word of God was never altered unintentionally during it's many translations from one language to another, or more importantly, never deliberately altered by those with their own agendas. The more I read about the history of the Bible, the less convinced I am that it reflects the letter of the law nor the spirit of the law. I think one needs to read between the lines to get at the truth.
Start showing me the truth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 05:33 PM

100 posts, read 281,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
You mean Charminism don't you?

godspeed,

freedom
lol lol lol lol lol lol

Old 07-15-2008, 05:53 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,658,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
The sexism and chauvinism is so blatant you could make toilet paper out of it.
Quote:

godspeed,

freedom
I got a good lol out of this one!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 PM

553 posts, read 571,110 times
Quote:

godspeed,

freedom
I would have meant that if there was something charming to write about.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,906,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snglfml View Post
This is a question I have already asked God. I know what I have read and I have mourned the idea to be so young and never have a spouse again. Marriage is something I have always wanted in my heart since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I'm in my 20's....... I will never marry again....... That really sucks......

One thing to bear in mind: when you read about the things Jesus said about divorce and remarriage: at the time He was speaking to people who were under the Old Covenant, those who were under the Law. That's why it was so legalistic and unbending. They lived in a time when you could literally get stoned to death, for what today we would consider minor infractions...
Today, we live under the New Covenant, often called the covenant of grace. It is a better Covenant, in that we no longer have to repeatedly do blood sacrifices (constant daily/weekly/monthly/yearly asking God for forgiveness for the same sins) to cover us. Jesus spilled His own blood for us, once and for all. It was a one-time only sacrifice. To those who will believe and accept Him, His blood, once and for all, cleanses us of ALL unrighteosness...you get a clean slate.
Therefore, IMO: if you want to get remarried...then I'd say go ahead. Ask God to forgive you of your mistakes of the past. Ask Him to cover you with the blood of Jesus. Then forget about what is past, what is behind you. Go get remarried. God looks at you through the blood of His Son, not your marriage history. Divorce and remarriage IS NOT the unforgiveable sin. (though some would have us think so) There is a reason God gave us the new covenant: we all failed to keep the old...in one way, or another, we all failed miserably. I think I read somewhere that Christians, as a whole, do no better at marriage and divorce than un-believers, despite our beliefs on the matter....

Bud

Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
Start showing me the truth
Excuse me, Coastie, while I step in.

Want the truth? Here it is.

1 Corinthians 7:1-2
"Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man NOT to marry."
"But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband."

Paul advises NOT to marry, but if you must.....to have ONE wife and ONE husband BECAUSE this polygamy junk OBVIOUSLY wasn't working. Guess it depends on who's doing the talking, right?

1 Corinthians 7:28
"But if you marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this."

Now THIS is scripture I should have paid attention to!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
I would have meant that if there was something charming to write about.
Maybe you got this, maybe you didn't but I'm going to explain anyway.

Freedom meant Charminism as in "don't squeeze the Charmin" brand t.p.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
One thing to bear in mind: when you read about the things Jesus said about divorce and remarriage: at the time He was speaking to people who were under the Old Covenant, those who were under the Law. That's why it was so legalistic and unbending. They lived in a time when you could get stoned to death, for what today we would consider minor infractions...
Today, we live under the New Covenant, often called the covenant of grace. It is a better Covenant, in that we no longer have to repeatedly do blood sacrifices (constant daily/weekly/monthly/yearly asking God for forgiveness for the same sins) to cover us. Jesus spilled His own blood for us, once and for all. It was a one-time only sacrifice. To those who will believe and accept Him, His blood, once and for all, cleanses us of ALL unrighteosness...you get a clean slate.
Therefore, IMO: if you want to get remarried...then I'd say go ahead. Ask God to forgive you of your mistakes of the past. Ask Him to cover you with the blood of Jesus. Then forget about what is past, what is behind you. Go get remarried. God looks at you through the blood of His Son, not your marriage history. Divorce and remarriage IS NOT the unforgiveable sin. (though some would have us think so) There is a reason God gave us the new covenant: we all failed to keep the old...in one way, or another, we all failed miserably. I think I read somewhere that Christians, as a whole, do no better at marriage and divorce than un-believers, despite our beliefs on the matter....

Bud
Amen, good post Bud.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Maybe you got this, maybe you didn't but I'm going to explain anyway.

Freedom meant Charminism as in "don't squeeze the Charmin" brand t.p.
Thanks DOTL! I didn't get it till now.
Maybe because I don't use Charmin!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:16 PM

100 posts, read 281,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
1 Corinthians 7:28
"But if you marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this."

Now THIS is scripture I should have paid attention to!
This is the one that scares me, what am I going to have to deal with if I did choose to remarry? I pray that if it is Gods will that I should marry again, that he be a man of faith and love the Lord and want to live for His will. But there is the warning in black and white..... oh, more questions, ugh!
God Bless! Mandy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity