Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:45 PM
YBF YBF started this thread

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times

Advertisements

I heard this on the radio yesterday and want to know why are Jehovah's Witnesses not voting in gov't elections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 10:33 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,033 times
Jehovah's Witnesses do not vote because they believe that the only government which can and will truly solve all mankind's problems is God's Government or Kingdom. They believe it to be an administration from heaven, made up of 144,000 humans and ruled by Jesus Christ. It will rule over the earth which will become a paradise inhabited by humans brought to perfection during the 1000 year rule of Christ mentioned in the book of Revelation.

Secondly, although they acknowledge that the human governments are allowed to rule mankind for a limited benefit, ultimately they are part of Satans system. Being 'no part of the world' for them means not casting a vote for a worldly political party as they have already cast their vote for God's Govt.

Obviously. they accept whoever does take power and strive to be law abiding, honest citizens under that government.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times
I actually don't blame them for not voting. It's not easy trying to choose between two people, neither of whom you feel you can personally support. If you choose one person because they are against abortion, you end up choosing a candidate who will likely mess up the economy and get us into all kinds of wars. If you choose the one who will improve the economy and social programs for the poor, it means you end up supporting someone who believes it's okay to murder babies. How can someone actually make that decision?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
I actually don't blame them for not voting. It's not easy trying to choose between two people, neither of whom you feel you can personally support. If you choose one person because they are against abortion, you end up choosing a candidate who will likely mess up the economy and get us into all kinds of wars. If you choose the one who will improve the economy and social programs for the poor, it means you end up supporting someone who believes it's okay to murder babies. How can someone actually make that decision?
Very easily.....which is the lesser of the two evils...since no candidate is ever going to be/do everything you want/need them to be and do....I am choosing the candidate that serves MOST of what I believe. I think if your hang up is abortion...I look at it this way..ppl will do what they will....whether its legal or not. That is their choice..I cant control that. So I look past it...but abortion is a totaly different topic that others can debate out.....

Old 09-24-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Jehovah's Witnesses do not vote because they believe that the only government which can and will truly solve all mankind's problems is God's Government or Kingdom. They believe it to be an administration from heaven, made up of 144,000 humans and ruled by Jesus Christ. It will rule over the earth which will become a paradise inhabited by humans brought to perfection during the 1000 year rule of Christ mentioned in the book of Revelation.

Secondly, although they acknowledge that the human governments are allowed to rule mankind for a limited benefit, ultimately they are part of Satans system. Being 'no part of the world' for them means not casting a vote for a worldly political party as they have already cast their vote for God's Govt.

Obviously. they accept whoever does take power and strive to be law abiding, honest citizens under that government.
But no matter how hard they try and seperate themselves they are still apart of this world. They have to work and go to school in this world and country so why no try and control it more? I guess to each their own...

Old 09-24-2008, 11:33 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Very easily.....which is the lesser of the two evils...since no candidate is ever going to be/do everything you want/need them to be and do....I am choosing the candidate that serves MOST of what I believe. I think if your hang up is abortion...I look at it this way..ppl will do what they will....whether its legal or not. That is their choice..I cant control that. So I look past it...but abortion is a totaly different topic that others can debate out.....
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil. I don't blame JWs for not wanting to be in that position.

As for abortion being my "hang up", you got that right. I'm having a really tough time this year. Inasmuch as a vote for McCain probably would NOT change the abortion laws in this country, I also can't actively throw my weight behind a guy that is outright pro-choice. I may very well abstain from voting this year.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil. I don't blame JWs for not wanting to be in that position.

As for abortion being my "hang up", you got that right. I'm having a really tough time this year. Inasmuch as a vote for McCain probably would NOT change the abortion laws in this country, I also can't actively throw my weight behind a guy that is outright pro-choice. I may very well abstain from voting this year.
You may not vote this year because of Abortion?

Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,525 times
Very well said Ringwielder and Aquila. Thank you for respecting the decision NOT to vote. In addition to the reasons you stated, I think of it like this...

This country's own pledge of allegiance says, "one nation, under God". Many honest hearted people see this as meaning that the US has the authority and backing from God, and also that it is giving God the respect that is due. As being such, wouldn't you expect the government then to put God's principles from the bible first when instituting laws? As we see in our society, there are so many religions with different God's which makes it is IMPOSSIBLE to be "one nation under God". The country has to be church and state seperate.

I will always put GOD first. If a manmade law contradicts God's law, I will always stand up for God's laws. Look at McCain's slogan..."Country First". He is expected to put his Christian beliefs aside when guiding the country. Same with Obama, he had to distance himself from his own faith and church because it was hurting his campaign.

So yes, these leaders stand on platforms that in one area or another contradict God's laws because they have to. So for that reason, I refuse to vote for the lesser of two evils. I do not support either one. I am extremely interested in watching the outcome of this election. I pay my taxes and abide by the laws. I'm not anti-American...I'm just guided by and stand by my christian principles.

I don't think NOT voting is exclusive to JW's. I think there are many other people who stay neutral for the same or other reasons.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
But no matter how hard they try and seperate themselves they are still apart of this world. They have to work and go to school in this world and country so why no try and control it more? I guess to each their own...

Jesus taught to be no part of this world, yet the true followers must work, go shopping, have some enjoyment for a balanced life as well. so what did Jesus mean? Obviously to be no part of this world means one will be way different from what this world practices.

2Peter 2:19) no voting, supporting, or running for offices of corrupt( depravity) politicians.
No participation in the pagan practices off the table of demons in the worlds traditions and celebrations.( all encyclopedias( fact of history) show pagan additives in the celebrations including-Easter and Christmas)
The 4 major entertainments all have--violence, immoral sex, the occult, and are including homosexuality now as the norm as well.
idolatry( 1Cor 6:9-11) the sport stars are being exposed daily as druggies, fornicators, drunkards, cheaters, liars)
No slaughtering of one another in the wars of hatred( 1John 3:10-12)
none of these things either--1Cor 6:9-11--Galations 5:19-21-- 2Timothy 3--(false god worship, athieism, is included as well)

many have voted--no murder--no driving while drunk or drugged up--no illegal drugs--did you stop these things? No--the only one who will is Gods king-Jesus--that is who a JW cast their vote for.

To be no part of this world, Jesus said one would be hated being his follower, and ones own family members would become their enemies( spiritually)Matt 10:36)

What does one do then--they listen to Jesus and learn and apply every utterance from God in their lives daily by serious study. then one is ready to become--FISHERS OF MEN.

Last edited by kjw47; 01-27-2015 at 07:16 AM..

Old 01-27-2015, 05:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:

Yep, this principle can apply:

NIV 1 Timothy 5:22 Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.

You vote them in, you share in the sins they commit because of attaining office through your efforts.

God's promise is to remove ALL of man';s Governments as ALL are opposed to Him. He will set up His Son as our ruler and .... we get no vote about it at all, we just submit.

Right now Satan is the ruler of this world so all politicians are serving him whether they know it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity