Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 03:31 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times

Advertisements

you can't prove that it was or is.

The whole bible proves otherwise that the man was, is, and always will be the spiritual head of a family.

The Word of God was inspired by the Holy Spirit...and I believe that God knew what was going to happen thousand of years later...

The Word of God doesnt change....people change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Nope. I believe it IS. I just beleive it was written for particular circumstances and you need to make sure you're in the circumstance it speaks of. There is nothing in the passages being discussed here that is addressed to all women in all times under all circumstances. The passages were written for the husbands of women in a particular society. Just as the passages about slaves were written to slaves in a paricular society.

It is foolish to take things out of context and not considering the cirucmstances under which it was written is taking it out of context.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:36 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Wow, I am pleasantly surprised to see the open-mindedness in this forum.
I expected the religious forum to be full of die-hard fanatics.
I have a disagreement with some of the more liberal-readings of the bible.

Maybe you can discuss this with me. I understand that the bible was written long ago, but I don't feel comfortable deciding that I should disregard what I consider the commands of God because I believe that society has changed.

I believe the bible says I should love, honor and Obey my husband. I try my best to treat my husband with affection, speak well of him and treat him with deference and do what he says. Ha ha ha. When I say "try," that means sometimes I don't succeed.
It takes study and prayer to get to the point you have any abiltiy to decide what applies to you and what doesn't. My, personal, rule is if I understand something well enough to make the decision I do, if I don't, I seek council or simply accept it until I understand it better. While I can, clearly, see that some things were written to paricular societies and to address particular issues in those societies, in other places I cannot.

I'm lucky in that I attended a Jesuit university where I was required to analyze the bible in light of the societal norms of the day. While I, ceratainly, don't know it all, I now understand the importance of not taking things out of context. You have to ask why it was written, to whom it was written and what the intent of the solution offered was not just what is said.

I don't believe the bible ever intended that women were to defer to their husbands on all things or to imply we aren't capable of making decisons. I think these passages were written to husbands and wives in a society where women were isolated, considered property and, utterly, dependent on their husbands. I think their intent isn't to admonish women to defer but rather to remind men that they control their wives fates and will be held accountable for their decisions. I don't think these passages apply to me because I don't live that life. I don't need a husband to intercede for me. I'm not property. I'm not illiterate. I'm not dependent. I'm a whole lot more accountable than those women who were.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:41 PM

the weird thing is that the bible was INSPIRED BY GOD.

Are you telling me that God got it wrong in those times?

Since Adam/Eve God has told Eve that man will rule over a woman.

I guess God got it wrong.

Quote:
It takes study and prayer to get to the point you have any abiltiy to decide what applies to you and what doesn't. My, personal, rule is if I understand something well enough to make the decision I do, if I don't, I seek council or simply accept it until I understand it better. While I can, clearly, see that some things were written to paricular societies and to address particular issues in those societies, in other places I cannot.

I'm lucky in that I attended a Jesuit university where I was required to analyze the bible in light of the societal norms of the day. While I, ceratainly, don't know it all, I now understand the importance of not taking things out of context. You have to ask why it was written, to whom it was written and what the intent of the solution offered was not just what is said.

I don't believe the bible ever intended that women were to defer to their husbands on all things or to imply we aren't capable of making decisons. I think these passages were written to husbands and wives in a society where women were isolated, considered property and, utterly, dependent on their husbands. I think their intent isn't to admonish women to defer but rather to remind men that they control their wives fates and will be held accountable for their decisions. I don't think these passages apply to me because I don't live that life. I don't need a husband to intercede for me. I'm not property. I'm not illiterate. I'm not dependent. I'm a whole lot more accountable than those women who were.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:48 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post

If we consider that man does indeed lead the direction of the family (or nation) by either taking the reins and being the example, or failing to do so - the family (or nation) benefits or suffers by his actions.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:52 PM

God has intended man to lead....whether they have been failing or not is a result of society and other factors.

For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
If we consider that man does indeed lead the direction of the family (or nation) by either taking the reins and being the example, or failing to do so - the family (or nation) benefits or suffers by his actions.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:00 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,168,113 times
Women are to submit (honor and obey). That doesn't mean all men are going to be great leaders. lol We all make mistakes...doesn't matter the gender.

I just read about Abigail last night. Her husband wasn't a great leader. When he made a bad decision, she stood up and did the right thing. Team work.

1 Samuel 25

Old 12-08-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
God has intended man to lead....whether they have been failing or not is a result of society and other factors.

For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
If Adam was not decieved, then he chose to sin eyes wide open. If he wasn't deceived, he knew what he was doing. I'd rather be tricked into sinning , thank you. At least you can say you were tricked.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:

No, I'm telling you God got it right in those times but now it not those times. The advice still stands if you find yourself in that situation. I'm not in it. Context matters. Look at the whole picture not just a one liner written about it.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM

that is up for interpretation...and I dont believe you have it right

either way GOD CHOSE ADAM not Eve...and did tell Eve that man will rule.

Quote:
If Adam was not decieved, then he chose to sin eyes wide open. If he wasn't deceived, he knew what he was doing. I'd rather be tricked into sinning , thank you. At least you can say you were tricked.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM

Conversation over. If you dont believe in the Word of God being Supreme throughout all the times then there's nothing more to say.

The Word of God dictates our lifestyle....

Our lifestyles DOES NOT dictate the Word of God.

2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Quote:
No, I'm telling you God got it right in those times but now it not those times. The advice still stands if you find yourself in that situation. I'm not in it. Context matters. Look at the whole picture not just a one liner written about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity