Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,139 times

Advertisements

It seems that there should be standards for church services. I would assume that our ancestors knew what those were and their services reflected that. Our contemporary churches appear to be throwing out more and more of the traditional standards. Remember, Tradition isn't the final standard of right and wrong, but it is a good place to start. Also, attracting people to your church does not = good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
funny thing is that everytime i go to a 'modern church' the music gets louder and louder!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
It's funny some people will tell you that you are bordering on legalism but just like casual Friday, some people in church take casual attire a little too far. I was invited to this church where many women were wearing tight jeans and tight tops. I found myself apologizing to God profusely because my eye kept wandering when I should have spent my time worshiping my God. I mean it is hard enough for us guys outside of church with billboards, commercials, women on the street etc... but in my sanctuary as well?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-03-2008 at 08:13 PM..

Old 12-03-2008, 08:10 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
I believe that there should be standards but that there needs to be flexibility. For example, tight jeans and tight tops consistently or even occasionally being worn by members of the congregation imo, is inappropriate, however, if a visitor (nonChristian for example) comes to service and has this kind of attire, it may be a good idea to overlook it because people are coming as they are and will hopefully learn to make the necessary changes as they learn more about the Lord. I am a casual dresser and use to wear jeans/ casual dress to various services in the congregations that I was a member of but limits do need to be set if something is immodest, ect. God bless.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I believe that there should be standards but that there needs to be flexibility. For example, tight jeans and tight tops consistently or even occasionally being worn by members of the congregation imo, is inappropriate, however, if a visitor (nonChristian for example) comes to service and has this kind of attire, it may be a good idea to overlook it because people are coming as they are and will hopefully learn to make the necessary changes as they learn more about the Lord. I am a casual dresser and use to wear jeans/ casual dress to various services in the congregations that I was a member of but limits do need to be set if something is immodest, ect. God bless.
I don't blame those women, they don't know any better. I blamed the Pastor

Old 12-03-2008, 08:33 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
funny thing is that everytime i go to a 'modern church' the music gets louder and louder!
I also can't stand when they play the music too loud, it's supposed to be church not some kind of Rock concert. Give me old fashioned singing behind a piano and I'm happy. I don't need or want any amplification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
It's funny some people will tell you that you are bordering on legalism but just like casual Friday, some people in church take casual attire a little too far. I was invited to this church where many women were wearing tight jeans and tight tops. I found myself apologizing to God profusely because my eye kept wandering when I should have spent my time worshiping my God. I mean it is hard enough for us guys outside of church with billboards, commercials, women on the street etc... but in my sanctuary as well?
I agree, some people dress way to casual for church. What kind of message are they sending to others when they can't even take 5 minutes and put on a nice outfit. People should take a little time and dress approprietly IMHO.
just my 2 cents

Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
I also can't stand when they play the music too loud, it's supposed to be church not some kind of Rock concert. Give me old fashioned singing behind a piano and I'm happy. I don't need or want any amplification.

I agree, some people dress way to casual for church. What kind of message are they sending to others when they can't even take 5 minutes and put on a nice outfit. People should take a little time and dress approprietly IMHO.
just my 2 cents
I don't know what bothers me more. Loud music or 7/11 songs (7 words, repeat 11 times).

Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I don't know what bothers me more. Loud music or 7/11 songs (7 words, repeat 11 times).
LOL......

Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 PM

733 posts, read 4,654,352 times
I seem to recollect that Jesus welcomed everyone...no matter how they dressed or how loud or quiet they were.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
I seem to recollect that Jesus welcomed everyone...no matter how they dressed or how loud or quiet they were.
You talking about the same Jesus who turned the market in the temple upside down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity