Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:02 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times

Advertisements

I agree--no carpet, electricity, HVAC, running water and mud and rock built structures.....just like the New Testament church!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

This is not about God but us and that is not an excuse, this is America where you can get clothing for nothing. It's funny how we can afford computers, High Def LCD, Xbox etc....but all of a sudden clothes are too expensive.
I don't even know what High Def LCD is and my computer is a rebuild. My 16 YO does have an Xbox, but he bought it with his own money that he saved for several years. I'm also not sure where I would get "pretty dresses" for free?

Now, I have never dressed scantily for church, but that is only my opinion. I am sure there are people in the congregation who look at me and might have a different opinion. We have several different services at my church. 7:30 AM seems to be the older generation...the dress casual nice. 10:00 AM is a mix of family and again, older generation. You will find a mix of dresses, down to jeans. Noon is Spanish Mass. I have seen that service also run the gammit. 5:00 PM is usually the youth, because they have youth group later that evening. They dress very casual and certainly some of them dress in a manner that I would not allow my children (whether at church or on the playground), but I also think that it is wonderful to see young people at church. I am sure that this is an issue that we will not agree on. I know I allow my girls to wear jeans (), but they are not allowed to wear hatertops. I was brought up wearing my "Sunday best". Getting dressed up was what going to church was all about. Of course, maybe that was because we only went at Christmas and Easter. I believe that going to church is about worshipping God, not about impressing my fellow parishoners with the latest fashion.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:27 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Interesting thread.... makes me wonder what they were wearing at the "Sermon on the Mount" gathering....

... I agree with this!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:29 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I agree--no carpet, electricity, HVAC, running water and mud and rock built structures.....just like the New Testament church!

Old 12-04-2008, 12:14 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,731 times
When new to an area and looking for a church, I used to put on a nice shirt and clean sneekers.
But I'd wear jeans and a rather patched up black denim jacket.
My intention was to see if I was judged by my clothes.
Even in churches where women wore head coverings, I felt welcomed.

"But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.
"God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

John 4:23,24

As for modesty, we shouldn’t lead others into temptation.

Standards for the actual service?
Prayer, teaching from Scripture, edification and encouragement, admonishment as needed, praise in song and word and even dance, and the Lord’s supper.
Special presentations are good too.

What else? Hmm…

Old 12-04-2008, 12:25 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
Very interesting thread. This was an issue at my former church. (UPC) It would be just shocking for me to walk in the church in any pair of pants, but women on the platform wore skirts a hair above the knee and hooker hose! (Fishnet) with super high heels on too! What happened to not judging????

Old 12-04-2008, 12:55 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I don't even know what High Def LCD is and my computer is a rebuild. My 16 YO does have an Xbox, but he bought it with his own money that he saved for several years. I'm also not sure where I would get "pretty dresses" for free?

Now, I have never dressed scantily for church, but that is only my opinion. I am sure there are people in the congregation who look at me and might have a different opinion. We have several different services at my church. 7:30 AM seems to be the older generation...the dress casual nice. 10:00 AM is a mix of family and again, older generation. You will find a mix of dresses, down to jeans. Noon is Spanish Mass. I have seen that service also run the gammit. 5:00 PM is usually the youth, because they have youth group later that evening. They dress very casual and certainly some of them dress in a manner that I would not allow my children (whether at church or on the playground), but I also think that it is wonderful to see young people at church. I am sure that this is an issue that we will not agree on. I know I allow my girls to wear jeans (), but they are not allowed to wear hatertops. I was brought up wearing my "Sunday best". Getting dressed up was what going to church was all about. Of course, maybe that was because we only went at Christmas and Easter. I believe that going to church is about worshipping God, not about impressing my fellow parishoners with the latest fashion.
It is respect, not impressing anyone. The question how would you dress if you were invited to the White House? or an anniversary dinner with your wife to a nice restaurant?

I personally don't care what people wear to church but you have to admit ALL the reasons for dressing down on entering God's House is absolutely weak.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:08 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
What happened to not judging????
I know where you are coming from. I was once a 1611 KJV-only fundamentalist Baptist......

My point is not to be into legalism but we should still dress at least like we would for jury duty. You wouldn't show up for jury duty in a t-shirt and jeans so why would you do that in church? It is about showing the same respect for the Lord as you would for man.

There are thrift stores and other used clothing stores where people can find decent clothing for affordable prices.

Question-Why not just show for church in pajamas, bathing suits, sweatpants, flip-flops or anything else that is convenient?

Answer-Because we are supposed to be an example for the unsaved. If we don't even care enough to dress properly for church, how will anyone take our faith seriously?........

Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,882 times
"I personally don't care what people wear to church but you have to admit ALL the reasons for dressing down on entering God's House is absolutely weak."

In the first place, It is not "God's House" !!!!! God does not live in houses built by hands.

" However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says:
'Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool. What house will you build for Me? says the Lord,"
Acts 7.48 & 49.
And in the second place, if you were meeting in your own home would you dress up for the assembly???
Is "dressing down" the opposite of "dressing up" ? If so, who said we should " dress down" ???

Please show me a scripture that says we should all be in fine apparel. 'I can find nothing at all as to how men are to 'dress', but in 1 Timothy the women are told to " adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing."

The concept of what is appropriate to wear is a human doctrine, not a scriptural one. Back in the days of the early disciples, even men did not wear trousers! ALL, both male and female, wore robes. And each of them may have had only one 'good' robe.

Last edited by Towhee; 12-04-2008 at 01:47 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 01:57 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,731 times
I suppose if I’d showed up… (a stranger to a congregation who didn’t know if I was saved or anything), it wouldn’t have been acceptable.

It was my way to determine if my clothes mattered or if I was valued as a human being despite my attire. (I did have a nice shirt and clean sneekers)
If I was shunned, then I'd know that people were only looking on the surface and placing importance on having the appearance of acceptability.

I was not disappointed, those times when I chose to do this, but I have not been to THAT many churches.

No. I didn't continue wearing jeans after that - nor did I wear a suit and tie.
Please do not take this as advice to dress down.

<sigh>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity