Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 01:52 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times

Advertisements

YouTube - If Heaven Was Never Promised

Listen to these words. It isn't about walking the streets of gold to me which I longed for at one time. God brought me to another place. It's all about God.

You may ask me why I serve the Lord,
Is it just for heaven's gain?

If heaven was never was promised to me
It's been worth just having the Lord in my life
Living in a world of darkness, He brought me the light
He's been my closest friend down through the years
Every time I cry He dries all my tears.

I was lost and living in a world of darkness, but He brought me the light

God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 03:57 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Hello all...I'm new to this forum, so you don't know me and will probably wonder if I'm being honest or trying to stir up dust. I can assure you that you will learn I'm honest and want this help. I have another question I'll be asking soon as well.

I was a faithful Christian for 10 yrs. I divorced 2.5 yrs ago and I fell away, and started living a sinful life. I very much want my faith back, but I have all these questions now that I didn't have before.

One of the main questions is, if God truly loves us, why is there an everlasting damnation? I mean, I love my children and punish them when they do wrong so they won't do it again. But, it's never an eternal punishment, and it's never anything so horrible as hell.

I'm having a very hard time with this. I would really appreciate answers from Christians, because I want to hear why they believe God will do this...I would really rather not hear from non-believers who will only bash God.

Thanks!

Eternal torture is a pagan myth, and hell is a Norse term not Greek or Hebrew . Most Christians believed in universal reconciliation for the first 400 year after Christ. Of the 5 theological schools of early Christianity, 3 taught universal reconciliation, one taught dissolution and annihilation, and one taught eternal torture. Which one taught eternal torture? The one in carthage(rome).

Basil the Great (330-379), who opposed the doctrine, wrote that the majority of Christians believed it.(see apocatastasis)

So who are you going to believe? The Christians 2000 years after Christ who are so influenced by the pagan religions through the roman catholic church? Or the Christians in the first 4 centuries who had not been indoctrinated by catholicism?

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 06-13-2009 at 04:13 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Eternal torture is a pagan myth, and hello is a Norse term not Greek or Hebrew . Most Christians believed in universal reconciliation for the first 400 year after Christ. Of the 5 theological schools of early early Christianity, 3 taught universal reconciliation, one taught dissolution and annihilation, and one taught eternal torture. Which one taught eternal torture? The one in carthage(rome).

Basil the Great (330-379), who opposed the doctrine, wrote that the majority of Christians believed it.(see apocatastasis)

Amen.
Quote:
The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge (1908) by Schaff-Herzog says in volume 12, on page 96, "In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known." The number of schools in the early church that taught ultimate reconciliation is an embarrassment to many modern church historians. Therefore, they often do whatever they can to hide these facts. I mention again that these Christian Universalists who were clearly the majority of the early Church, believed that all mankind through Christ would be restored. They believed and taught and many laid down their lives for the belief that Jesus Christ was truly the Savior of the whole world. Remember, these historians just quoted were not "Universalists." Also note that the school that taught "Eternal Torment" was in Rome, where the original Bible languages were abandoned and replaced with Latin. Those of you who are familiar with Daniel's image made up of four kingdoms are also probably aware that the legs of iron might speak of the Roman Empire.
Early Christian View of the Savior/The Tentmaker

God bless.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:17 PM

The true God of the bible is all powerful and can and will find a way to restore the banished. Those who believe in eternal torture believe that god is impotent in his inability or unwillingness to restore all his beloved creation to himself.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:43 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Sure....
CU'S.....!!!

Sorry Birdy.... I don't care what you post!
You of all people I would never trust in speaking the truth for God.....I haven't never seen the christlikeness, but always a spirit of hurting, condescending toward other's many, many ways and times!!!

I listen to the Spirit of God.... and instead of man's opinion, interpretations, especially CU's with their isolating one scripture to mean what they want to mean.
And not the context of the "WHOLE WORD OF GOD!".

Blessings
Latte Chic

There was a day i believed exactly the same as you . I can say with hand on heart by belief in Hell fire did not come from the Holy Spirit revealing it to me it came from the pulpit and books i read , and from my own fears from within.

Had fun in Savannah by the way and thanks for the prayers

Old 06-13-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Amen.

Early Christian View of the Savior/The Tentmaker

God bless.
Amen sister, traditional fundamentalist Christianity is put to shame by historical evidences of the original Christian faith ...

Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,348,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
The true God of the bible is all powerful and can and will find a way to restore the banished. Those who believe in eternal torture believe that god is impotent in his inability or unwillingness to restore all his beloved creation to himself.
"We must all die and are like water spilled on the ground that cannot be gathered up again. But the Lord does not take away life, instead He devises ways for the banished to be restored."

Literally: for the banished to not be banished.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:17 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
I must admit, my belief is in some points rather "Jewish like" then particular Christian, I think one should live a righteous life for righteousness' sake and not to escape hell or earn heaven.

I think men, though having no free will are responsible for what they do, there will be both "reward" and punishment in the 'world to come' I believe, even if there would be no afterlife at all, we should live a righteous life.

Many of the greatest teachers of the early church were universalists and some of them died for their faith, being an universalist does not mean living a lawless life, universalism convinced me of the reality and need of future judgment, no one is saying that people like Hitler go instantly to heaven.
What you say is correct....in part for all of us...
We live for Him...He wants us to live a life for righteousness sake and believe in him....not specifically to escape hell or enter heaven....not specifically to reap rewards....
But still we can not leave out the words when He tells us that many will knock...but He will not know them...
I would probably feel better about all this if it didn't sound like some were telling others that all is okay....live like you want...there is no need to attempt being righteous..there is no need to believe in Him....because from the outside looking in, it looks like this is the main point that is trying to be made.----well, until someone tells them what it looks like.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I would probably feel better about all this if it didn't sound like some were telling others that all is okay....live like you want...there is no need to attempt being righteous..there is no need to believe in Him....because from the outside looking in, it looks like this is the main point that is trying to be made.----well, until someone tells them what it looks like.
Sherry, please show where anyone who believes in the restoration of all to God has communicated that there is no live for God. We are sharing that the teaching of eternal torment is error, that God is not a sadist, a God who intends to torment people forever. We are sharing that God's sovereign will will be done in His creation, that no one can stop this, even our limited "free wills". His will will be done as Jesus prayed. We have shared that people will reap what they sow, that it does matter, how we live our lives today. But the end result is the subjection of all to God so that He may be all in all (1 Cor. 15) God bless.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
I must admit, my belief is in some points rather "Jewish like" then particular Christian, I think one should live a righteous life for righteousness' sake and not to escape hell or earn heaven.

I think men, though having no free will are responsible for what they do, there will be both "reward" and punishment in the 'world to come' I believe, even if there would be no afterlife at all, we should live a righteous life.

Many of the greatest teachers of the early church were universalists and some of them died for their faith, being an universalist does not mean living a lawless life, universalism convinced me of the reality and need of future judgment, no one is saying that people like Hitler go instantly to heaven.
Virtue is its own reward ...

Those who do not have it will be corrected in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity