Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,046,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszlady View Post
From my studies, I believe that doing so is against God's word, and can lead to damnation.
Are you serious? God would damn people based on the name they give to their Church? Surely He's not quite that petty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 12:53 PM

198 posts, read 263,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Are you serious? God would damn people based on the name they give to their Church? Surely He's not quite that petty.

No. Based on what they call themselves. I wouldn't call God "petty". But I will say, it's not just the "big" things that matter.
Just for looking back, Lot's wife got turned into a pillar of salt Gen 19:26
Some would say "just for looking back?!?"

God is specific. And he's jealous. Exodus 20:5, and he is not playin! His way or the highway. All I'm saying is I would rather be on the safe side. I have enough things in my life that could send me to hell that I need to correct. I'm not perfect nor have I claimed to be. As far as worship and what I identify myself as....I would just rather go strictly by the bible. Once the church was established in Acts they were called Christians. So that's what I'll call myself.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:03 PM

428 posts, read 331,636 times
So what were the members of the church called for the 8 to 10 years between Pentecost and the time period covered in Act's 11 when "the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch"?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 PM

198 posts, read 263,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
So what were the members of the church called for the 8 to 10 years between Pentecost and the time period covered in Act's 11 when "the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch"?

I don't know. I don't believe I've ever read what they were called, therefore I never say what they were called. All I know is once the church WAS established, they were called Christians. What were they called?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:44 AM

428 posts, read 331,636 times
Quote:
I don't know. I don't believe I've ever read what they were called, therefore I never say what they were called. All I know is once the church WAS established, they were called Christians. What were they called?
So your are saying the church was not "established" at Pentecost or for 8 or more years after that until some man decided to call them Christians at Antioch? Not sure I agree with that.

Not sure what they were called during the first 8 to 10 years of the Church existence. There seems to be several way's in scripture but never ever just one for the local church.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
No. Based on what they call themselves. I wouldn't call God "petty". But I will say, it's not just the "big" things that matter.
Just for looking back, Lot's wife got turned into a pillar of salt Gen 19:26
Some would say "just for looking back?!?"
No, not "just for looking back," for being disobedient.

Quote:
God is specific. And he's jealous. Exodus 20:5, and he is not playin! His way or the highway. All I'm saying is I would rather be on the safe side. I have enough things in my life that could send me to hell that I need to correct. I'm not perfect nor have I claimed to be. As far as worship and what I identify myself as....I would just rather go strictly by the bible. Once the church was established in Acts they were called Christians. So that's what I'll call myself.
Jesus Christ said to Peter, "And upon this rock I will build my church." To me, Jesus Christ's Church is "the Church of Jesus Christ." As far as I'm concerned, that's exactly what He would have expected it to be called. I agree that Jesus Christ's followers were called "Christians," but I believe they thought of themselves as belonging to the Jesus Christ's Church or the Church of Jesus Christ.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,543,185 times
Quote:
We do not call ourselves "Baptist" "Catholic" "Methodist" "Jehovah Witness" "Mormon" "Pentacostal" or any other man made name. I can not find anywhere in the bible where God called his people "baptist" or anything else. From my studies, I believe that doing so is against God's word, and can lead to damnation.
Lol this statement brings back memories of sitting in a pew on Sunday morning, Sunday night and even on Wednesday night prayer meeting.

Not much preaching, teaching, praying or loving the members of the body of Christ with a different name on their place of worship, but a whole lot of fear of hellfire and damnation being spread to the kiddies.

Even the names of the denominations are the same ones

They were first called "Christians" at Antioch". Sounds manmade to me..just making a point

Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
They were first called "Christians" at Antioch". Sounds manmade to me..just making a point
Good point.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,841,844 times
A church is not a governmental building and does not need a sign in front of it- declaring the title of the department...There are too many names already in the Christian bureaucracy.

Where a few people are gathered in his name is a church...be it a couple of believers talking on the street....or a gathering at a party.....

Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
A church is not a governmental building and does not need a sign in front of it- declaring the title of the department...There are too many names already in the Christian bureaucracy.

Where a few people are gathered in his name is a church...be it a couple of believers talking on the street....or a gathering at a party.....
It kind of helps, though, if you want to be among those who are gathered, to know where to meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity