Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,505,135 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the imput, but I apparently didn't word it correctly. This wasn't about anything about my situation. This was an attempt to probe into a hypothetical situation.

Its very easy for us to think that if Jesus would ask us to leave everything (like he did to his disciples) we would. Can you imagine the reaction to the family's of the disciples that left the family business, or Luke giving up the medical practice just because of Jesus? Not to say I could have reacted so eagerly about the thoughtof doing that.
Just food for thought..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 AM

14,898 posts, read 17,188,625 times
Quote:
Hello twinspin I believe that when you are "in sevice" for the Lord, that also extends into every area of your life, including your place of work...because you must work, to earn a wage, to pay your bills, to eat and take care of and feed your family (if indeed you have a family to feed). Be gracious and in love be understanding also to those who employ you, especially in these times..it is very hard out there both for the employee and the employer...a job is a precious commodity right now...so, in your decisions, use wisdom...God is in your heart, wherever you are, and He honors the labor of your hands...your love and understanding of your boss could very well be the avenue that God is using to bless him/her through you...so you are not serving two masters...you are only serving the One by the love you show and the light that shinees through you to others. God bless you...Love

Good point! God bless.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,191,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Its very easy for us to think that if Jesus would ask us to leave everything (like he did to his disciples) we would. Can you imagine the reaction to the family's of the disciples that left the family business, or Luke giving up the medical practice just because of Jesus? Not to say I could have reacted so eagerly about the thoughtof doing that.
It's a matter of being (here's this ugly concept again) led by the Spirit. There's few in this day who can drop everything materially and still provide for their families (not many forests in the DFW area).

As we see the day approaching, It pertains more now than to being emptied of our carnal life (especially the carnal mind). Everything in the Adamic nature is anti-Christ, and will fight to the death to defend itself and drown those around it trying to hang on to control.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,666,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Thanks for the imput, but I apparently didn't word it correctly. This wasn't about anything about my situation. This was an attempt to probe into a hypothetical situation.

oh...totally different scenerio...yea...I can just imagine those beautiful eyes of Jesus, looking right into your eyes and Him telling you to lay down your life and all that you know and follow Him...my goodness...wouldn't you jump up and do exactly that if He did? I know for sure that I would! Many are "called"..but few are "chosen"...meaning, all Christians are "called, but only a few of those called are chosen to sacrifice everything to serve Him...and they know who they are because the Holy Spirit has spoken to them in a very profound way...these would be the ones who...leave their businesses...who leave their lives as they knew them...to go wherever He leads them...they go in fear...they do it afraid...they go in faith, believing with everything that is in them, that the Lord is guiding them...it takes knowing, that you know, that you know , that you know...otherwise...I stand by my first post...Love

Old 12-22-2008, 02:19 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,996,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
oh...totally different scenerio...yea...I can just imagine those beautiful eyes of Jesus, looking right into your eyes and Him telling you to lay down your life and all that you know and follow Him...my goodness...wouldn't you jump up and do exactly that if He did? I know for sure that I would! Many are "called"..but few are "chosen"...meaning, all Christians are "called, but only a few of those called are chosen to sacrifice everything to serve Him...and they know who they are because the Holy Spirit has spoken to them in a very profound way...these would be the ones who...leave their businesses...who leave their lives as they knew them...to go wherever He leads them...they go in fear...they do it afraid...they go in faith, believing with everything that is in them, that the Lord is guiding them...it takes knowing, that you know, that you know , that you know...otherwise...I stand by my first post...Love
Quoted for those that have a hard time reading the tiny and glaring type.......

Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,666,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Quoted for those that have a hard time reading the tiny and glaring type.......
Thank you Goodpasture...that was very thoughtful of you.....Love.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,027 times
There is a man in our church named Charles, he told one employer that he was not going to work on a Sunday becuase as his pastor's Audio man he needed to be at church to serve in the Ministry of Helps. He told the potential employer that if they expected him to work on a Sunday then it would be best for him to leave the interview now. He has been with me in the ministry serving faithfully and his wife since in the inception of our church.

Well they hired him on that basis; one employer called him back after he had quit a job becuase they tried to slowly get him to work on a Sunday; not that its a sin to work on that day because it's not but he love the Lord so much that he rather not. Not only did they accept him back but gave him much more money to return. There will be times when believers must stand their ground and not allow potential employers to regulate their church attendance regularities.

I must also say, Charles is an extremely diligent and faithfully man; always on-time, gets his assignments completed in a very timely manner and never is disrespectful, ever. These are the type of employees employers search for.

Pastor Willie Robison - wordlifeministries.org

Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,692,559 times
If you agreed to work,then you should stand by your word and do so.
otherwise,next time,work it out in advance,clearly and perhaps in writing as well.I had an employer who liked to 'forget' those kinds of things.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,890,153 times
I'd say it depends on why you are working. If you are working because (for example) you retired and then got bored with nothing to do, so took a job, then ok: go ahead and quit, so long as you are still able to pay your bills.

On the other hand, if you are working to support your family finances (most are probably in that category), then that is very different. Family comes first, then church attendance second. Here's why:

1 Timothy 5:8
"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel"

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity