Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 06:21 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Oh get off your pseudo high horse, monumentus. You have revealed no actual knowledge in any area, lay or professional. We are discussing in a forum largely comprised of laymen NOT in a professional journal. Your "broken record" complaints about my layman-oriented presentations and analogies is way beyond tedious all the way to monotonous. Wait . . . is that really your screen name????
So a string of abuse - insults - and ad hominem - none of which actually responds to _let alone rebuts_ a single thing I wrote is is all you can muster in response to my posts? Note how I was able to construct my post without any insults - and with direct reference to the things here written. Try one - or both - sometime. Especially given this behaviour is not one bit representative of someone who spouts standards of "agape love" and the like.

And you claim it is _me_ that has not displayed any knowledge of anything? I think you looked in a mirror and mistook what you saw for me. The only one with a high horse here is you - and I am happy to remove you from it whenever needed.

Yes the forum is predominantly lay people here - but we can do two things with that - exploit their ignorance - or lead them from it. I choose the latter - especially in threads where someone like you tries the former.

And since the discussion has wandered into my fields - I am happy to explain to cantfindagoodname the history behind the term "reptilian brain" and what we mean by it. And explain how many people use the artistic flights of fantasy of scientists when naming and describing things - to serve their own agendas. And to explain how those things in that area of science are not that useful or accurate really and are at best a simplification for a lay audience. The Triune Brain model - from which the reptilian moniker comes - is as I said oversimplified and technically inaccurate.

As pointed out it is not all that widely used as a term - demonstrated quite well by you yourself when asked to cite a text book and you could merely cite a blog - and then resort to insults to deflect from that.

So I warrant your knowledge of this field is well behind mine. As I demonstrated in the text you neither responded to nor cited - choosing instead to ignore it so you could sell the false idea I have displayed no knowledge in this area - I am actually _very_ well up on the work of Paul MacLean thank you very much.

Remember this thread is not about neuroscience per se - but about the "Antichrist" - and a suggestion is that it is a personification representation of our more base desires and instincts. I would go further to suggest that the characters of God and Jesus are similar personifications for our desire to do "good" and moral things in the world.

We are a creature of narrative. We like to personify reality into actual characters. Be it parts of nature into the god of thunder for example - or aspects of human emotion and philosophy into gods of love or hate or evil or war. As said before we are a triune creature in many ways - our moral heights on one corner - our moral lows on another - and the sentient animal in between battling between the two.

And with our love and penchant for narrative it is no surprise we often split and personify these things into external agencies. The Christ and the anti Christ. God and a Devil. The story tellers and the incubus. And many many more. The Anti-Christ is our representation of - personification of - all that we abhor in our own nature and desires.

And none of this is related to - let alone served by - running away with a term coined by a single neuroscientist and trying to find a way to draw a vague snake shape onto an equally vague brain diagram to serve one of those narratives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 06:42 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The world back in Jesus day didn't turn their hearts to hatred for Jesus, apostles and followers, and kill all of them because they taught--LOVE, PEACE and UNITY-- No it for the opposite truth that exposed all the false god worship and pagan practices straight off the table of demons( 1Cor 10:21) that 99% were partaking of. Even Gods chosen( Israel) were fallen at that point.
What other gods were Israel worshipping at the time of Jesus?...

Old 02-11-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
What the Bible ( not secular books ) really teaches is the serpent in Eden was really Satan - Rev. 12:9,12
The ' tree of life ' stood for everlasting life on earth as long as God's Law was Not broken.
Adam broke God's law and thus lost access to the ' tree of life '
Jesus came to undo all the damage Satan and Adam brought upon mankind.
That is why during Jesus' 1,000-year governmental rulership over earth, mankind will see the return of the ' tree of life ' on earth for the healing of earth's nations - Revelation 22:2. That will be in fulfillment to God's promise to father Abraham that ALL families and ALL nations of earth will be blessed. Blessed with the benefit of everlasting life on earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall. - Genesis 12:3; Genesis 22:18
This is not accurate...

Old 02-11-2016, 12:59 PM

86 posts, read 56,368 times
Quote:
Okay, let's holster our guns and start over. I am a theist but I do not adhere to the run-of-the-mill religious nonsense. I participate at whatever level someone seems intellectually capable of operating. I am a PhD trained psychologist and quantitative research methods Professor Emeritus and member of High IQ societies. I began life as an atheist, came out in my early teens, started meditating and practicing martial arts and had an epiphany in deep meditation around age 30 or so that instantly eliminated my atheism. I spent the next 30+ years trying to explain it to my intellect by studying the sciences and the entire "spiritual fossil record" of human speculation about God and Bible hermeneutics. I have a Synthesis that summarizes my conclusions for a lay audience. i explain and defend my views, but I am not trying to change anyone else's views. Any snarkiness toward discussants is usually well-earned by previous encounters, but sometimes it just comes out that way because of habitual classroom hubris.
I have no way of confirming nor denying your stated claims about your academic and intellectual achievements. Therefore, about all I can give you in way of a response is, if you say so. You do seem to have journeyed an unusual path to reach your religious position. Perhaps you should expect most people to take issue with your conclusions considering they vary vastly from that of any person I have ever met. Even in my short time on this forum I find you to be a one of a kind religion. Must be a lonely place in regards to gathering with fellow believers. But we shall holster our gun. But do realize I "open carry!"

Old 02-11-2016, 01:42 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Interesting Bit, so many tongues yet where is the Holy One?
2 swords to sheer all of wool and flax.
Strange how the letter J came into the picture.

Whats up with this syllable?

7th consonant 10th letter. How subtle does it get.
Certainly this not is something that errs within the symphony.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:53 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What other gods were Israel worshipping at the time of Jesus?...

Matt 23 explains about the Israelite teachers. They didn't have to be serving other Gods, they weren't serving the true God according to his will.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Matt 23 explains about the Israelite teachers. They didn't have to be serving other Gods, they weren't serving the true God according to his will.
This is what you said:

Quote:
No it for the opposite truth that exposed all the false god worship and pagan practices straight off the table of demons( 1Cor 10:21) that 99% were partaking of. Even Gods chosen( Israel) were fallen at that point
So...Would you like to lie straight to my face again?...

Old 02-11-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
They didn't have to be serving other Gods, they weren't serving the true God according to his will.
Actually, they were...That is why Jesus said, "Do as they tell you"...

Old 02-12-2016, 01:52 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
This is what you said:

So...Would you like to lie straight to my face again?...

I didn't lie--I said 99% were serving false gods--- I didn't include Israel in that statement. I said Israel was not doing the true Gods will at that point.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:56 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Okay, let's holster our guns and start over. I am a theist but I do not adhere to the run-of-the-mill religious nonsense. I participate at whatever level someone seems intellectually capable of operating. I am a PhD trained psychologist and quantitative research methods Professor Emeritus and member of High IQ societies. I began life as an atheist, came out in my early teens, started meditating and practicing martial arts and had an epiphany in deep meditation around age 30 or so that instantly eliminated my atheism. I spent the next 30+ years trying to explain it to my intellect by studying the sciences and the entire "spiritual fossil record" of human speculation about God and Bible hermeneutics. I have a Synthesis that summarizes my conclusions for a lay audience. i explain and defend my views, but I am not trying to change anyone else's views. Any snarkiness toward discussants is usually well-earned by previous encounters, but sometimes it just comes out that way because of habitual classroom hubris.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantfindagoodname View Post
I have no way of confirming nor denying your stated claims about your academic and intellectual achievements. Therefore, about all I can give you in way of a response is, if you say so. You do seem to have journeyed an unusual path to reach your religious position. Perhaps you should expect most people to take issue with your conclusions considering they vary vastly from that of any person I have ever met. Even in my short time on this forum I find you to be a one of a kind religion. Must be a lonely place in regards to gathering with fellow believers. But we shall holster our gun. But do realize I "open carry!"
Indeed, I receive flak from both theists and atheists. I am an equal opportunity target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity