Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:02 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Didnt take time to read the whole thread, so begging eveyone's pardon if this has already been mentioned.

Another scripture reference that refutes reincarnation is in the story of David and Bathsheeba. After the son that was born out of David's adulterous affair with Bathsheeba became ill and Nathan the profit exposed David's sin, David grieved for healing for the baby. After the baby died, he stopped his grieving and said this. The reference is 2 Samuel 12:23

"But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."

There is a clear understanding in all of scripture that man is given one life on this earth, then life eternal, either with the Lord or apart from him.

If reincarnation were part of God's plan, would not the scripture not only specify very clearly that it isn't, but wouldn't it give examples and speak of it directly?

I don't understand why so many try to make the bible say things it doesn't. Scripture is extremely clear about these points. Wanting to cut and paste certain scriptures and delete others is a completely self absorbed exercise.

Context fabrication... did any of the words you chose to quote today speak of a true heart connection which you might want to pass on for goodness sakes?

None of my business, i guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I don't understand why so many try to make the bible say things it doesn't. Scripture is extremely clear about these points. Wanting to cut and paste certain scriptures and delete others is a completely self absorbed exercise.
The beauty of the bible is that it is geared to the intellectual capabilities of the reader along with guidance from the holy spirit. Everyone who sincerely reads it with a seeking heart will read it "clearly" as they need to read it for their level of understanding and capabilities. The proof is in the effect of the reading . . . if it leads to LOVE of God and Jesus (and each other) . . . then for that person it is a "clear" reading. If it does not . . . it is wrong. All this strife over interpretation is unnecessary. It indicates other agendas than LOVE of God, Jesus and each other to live in Christ.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
Context fabrication... did any of the words you chose to quote today speak of a true heart connection which you might want to pass on for goodness sakes?

None of my business, i guess.
Well, we are here to discuss points, this is the Christian forum, so if you want to weigh in with your thoughts, you can make it your business. At least that is what a forum like this exists for, from what I have gathered.

I am at a total loss, tho, to understand your post in response to mine. What is the context fabrication you speak of? That David's infant son could not come back to him, but he (David) would go to the son? To me
David is affirming the truth that is found throughout scripture: that access into and out of this planet is a one time thing. Others have posted more direct scriptures in response to the OP, I added this one.

This story was the text for the sermon I heard at my church this past Sunday. The sermon's subject was not on reincarnation, but as we read it, I had the thought that here is another place scripture denies reincarnation. Is this what you mean by context fabrication? That I am saying this story was placed in the bible to contradict a belief in reincarnation? No, this is not the main theme or point of David and Bathseeba's relationship and the fallout of this sin by David. But this nugget of truth is still imbedded in the story.

Then your line about my choosing words with a true heart connection, then the use of the icon smacking your head..... I really am at a loss. Your words come across as glib and haughty. I hope I am totally missing your point and am wrong.

It doesn't bother me or hurt my feelings. I enjoy discussing differing points of view. Just wonder what you are referring to and why you had such an odd reaction to what I posted.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:10 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The beauty of the bible is that it is geared to the intellectual capabilities of the reader along with guidance from the holy spirit. Everyone who sincerely reads it with a seeking heart will read it "clearly" as they need to read it for their level of understanding and capabilities. The proof is in the effect of the reading . . . if it leads to LOVE of God and Jesus (and each other) . . . then for that person it is a "clear" reading. If it does not . . . it is wrong. All this strife over interpretation is unnecessary. It indicates other agendas than LOVE of God, Jesus and each other to live in Christ.
I didn't go into detail in the line you quoted from me, but you and I have had a similar discussion in the past on other threads. I find that some like to pick and choose scripture to fit what they like and disregard the others. This is like Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights that prefers the "baby Jesus" to the grown up Jesus and when he prays, he prays to "baby Jesus" because that Jesus is his favorite.

I do agree with you that people of differing viewpoints and understanding of faith will garner different truths from reading the same scripture references. The Bible is not an easy book to grasp at once, bible scholars down to simple saints study the scriptures to gain more understanding for their whole lives, no one has cornered the whole of its truth yet.

What does bother me is people making the scriptures say something that it clearly does not say. The scripture is very clear on points and does not waver in its truth from Genesis to Revelation. My point is that if there is a great cosmic truth like reincarnation, God would not have stopped with NOT having scriptures to refute it, but would offer positive teaching and stories that affirm it.

Others have listed the numerous scriptures that refute a doctrine of reincarnation alongside a Christian belief system. If, as the OP puts the question before us that reincarnation and Christianity are compatable belief systems, I was making the point that not only would there not be these scriptures that refute this, but there would be scriptures that would back it up. I state that scripture clearly refutes reincarnation and on top of that has nothing to affirm it as a viable doctrine.

This picking and choosing of scriptures and truths a la Ricky Bobby is what I was referring to as a self absorbed exercise. Not coming to scripture to know and learn truth and allow this truth to change one's understanding and life, but to come cafeteria style and take what one likes and dismiss the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity