Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:13 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die;
A time to plant, and a time to pluck what is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal;
A time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stone, And a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace, And a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to gain, And a time to lose;
A time to keep, And a time to throw away;
A time to tear, And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;
A time to love, And a time to hate;
A time of war, And a time of peace.
ECCLESIASTES 3:1-8

The time is short.
I love those verses, and I also love the song that was titled : "Turn, Turn, Turn".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 01:18 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die;
A time to plant, and a time to pluck what is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal;
A time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stone, And a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace, And a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to gain, And a time to lose;
A time to keep, And a time to throw away;
A time to tear, And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;
A time to love, And a time to hate;
A time of war, And a time of peace.
ECCLESIASTES 3:1-8

The time is short.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
he has 3 archangeles
michael
gabriel
rafael
most only know gabriel
gabriel is important he is the one you are talking about but god has 2 others my favorites.
have a good day gentle friend

Old 01-15-2009, 01:23 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
he has 3 archangeles
michael
gabriel
rafael
most only know gabriel
gabriel is important he is the one you are talking about but god has 2 others my favorites.
have a good day gentle friend

Huh?? I don't get it.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
This thread on gentleness brought to mind James and John, the sons of Zebedee. I wonder how gentle they were when it came to those who opposed the way. Jesus gave them the name Boanerges, that is, "Sons of Thunder". ( Mark 3:17) And yet , they were spoken of favorably very frequently. Jesus took them, along with Peter, when He went up on the Mount, where they saw Moses and Elijah, and Jesus was transfigured.
That John was the beloved disciple of Jesus. He is the one who wrote the book of Revelation.

I often think of my personality, as compared with them. I would truely rather be of a meek and quiet spirit, and I frequently pray for that. Believe me, I do work on it.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
This thread on gentleness brought to mind James and John, the sons of Zebedee. I wonder how gentle they were when it came to those who opposed the way. Jesus gave them the name Boanerges, that is, "Sons of Thunder".
When they wanted to call down fire on those who opposed them ("like Elijah") Jesus is recorded as saying to them "You don't know what spirit you are of"

Old 01-16-2009, 05:07 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Not that she'd know, but it would seem to June that somewhere within a belief system that is centered around "For God so loved the world" and has as it's very foundation the underlying premise that "God is love" would somehow have just a tiny little bit of room for all those who truly believe in that to have a gentle spirit and heart.

What has forever served to further reinforce June's atheism is the difficulty that she sees here repeatedly, every single day: That the desire to be heard, to get one's point across (as regards their belief) is so forcefully upheld and defended amongst those who profess to be "one body in Christ" that the above becomes secondary to getting one's own point across. The result is that you convince no one other than your own selves; you may reinforce that which you profess within yourself, but where the entire essence of the real message is totally lost.

In other words: June reads and hears you but not the Voice that you tell her is speaking through you. That voice becomes totally lost. (And please don't tell June that she does not "hear" as June suspects that she is somewhat more adept, more atuned to listening than even she would care to recognize and/or acknowledge. She spends her days listening...)

If in any situation it is a contentious matter of "I am right" such that "you are wrong," then someone is always going to be left on the outside; out in the cold. June is surely unable to reconcile the fact that within the "one body in Christ" there is implied unity. Let alone the fact that somewhere within that unity is an implied message of love. Based on what June recalls of the Bible, Jesus wasn't looking to leave too many people out in the cold. June suspects that even Jesus knew that everyone prefers warmth, as opposed to the hollowed emptiness of cold...June also suspects that it is not an easy task to internalize any message of love such that it becomes an attitude of the heart, (whereby it is truly written in the heart) in such a way that it thereby translates into what and how one writes in order to get their point across. June, more than anyone would be aware of the fact of how difficult that is, as she knows in her shivvering that cold begets cold. As such, she resides in that place that allows for cold to gradually give way to warmth; where darkness gradually gives way to light. Just as the night goes from utter black darkness to the gradual, barely perceivable and gradual presence of light, so too does June hold that hope that within that barely perceived process will someday be, within some possible sunrising, a little less of Jhn 5:39-44, and perhaps just a little bit more of 1 Corinthians 13. --Because even June can still recall at least one passage from the Bible; the one that states: "Love is always patient and kind." Somewhere in there, June's thinking there's got to be just a little gentleness...

June has always prefered gentle music. It's inherently peaceful. To the one person who knew how to sing gentle notes, this one's for you.

Take gentle care.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-16-2009 at 07:35 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 05:27 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June has always prefered gentle music. It's inherently peacefull. To the one person who knew how to sing gentle notes, this one's for you.

Take gentle care.
Sadly gentleness is lacking in almost everything today, not just religion. Music too in these modern times has taken a big hit in the lack of gentleness department.

My wife and I often send each other beautiful musical tunes throughout each day, since we regularly check our emails. Here's one I sent her a month ago, and I'll give it to June.

Simon & Garfunkel with Andy Williams singing "Scarborough Fair"

YouTube - Scarborough Fair/Canticle

Old 01-16-2009, 05:32 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Sadly gentleness is lacking in almost everything today, not just religion. Music too in these modern times has taken a big hit in the lack of gentleness department.

My wife and I often send each other beautiful musical tunes throughout each day, since we regularly check our emails. Here's one I sent her a month ago, and I'll give it to June.

Simon & Garfunkel with Andy Williams singing "Scarborough Fair"

YouTube - Scarborough Fair/Canticle
I really like Simon and Garfunkel and I bet June does too. Here's another one of my favorites from them. For June and everyone else.

YouTube - Mrs. Robinson - Simon & Garfunkel (1968)

I also like this one too...

YouTube - Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel - The Sounds of Silence Lyrics

Old 01-16-2009, 05:32 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,203 times
Default Sons of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
When they wanted to call down fire on those who opposed them ("like Elijah") Jesus is recorded as saying to them "You don't know what spirit you are of"
Face it, we're all misguided sometimes. Jesus' disciples really didn't understand a lot of what he was teaching until after the Resurrection.

"Sons of Thunder" reminds me of the individuals who were branded as firebrands of the American Revolution. They were very passionate about their beliefs, and their traits were used effectively to "spread the word" and convert hearts and minds to their cause.

Just because someone is outspoken in one venue doesn't mean he lacks gentleness and meekness in his personal life. Often, he can be passionate and gentle at the same time, but most onlookers will only see one trait or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity