Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
It's interesting that Paul says (depending on whose translation you're reading), in 1Corinthians 7:10-11 that NOT I BUT THE LORD says a wife should NOT divorce a husband. (but if she does, LET HER REMAIN unmarried or become reconciled to her husband), and a husband should not divorce his wife. This isn't Paul talking here; but Paul directly quoting from God under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

How do you interpret this verse?
my church interprets it literally--i am divorced and cannot ever remarry for in my faith marriage is a sacrament from GOD (UNFORTUNATELY MY HUSBAND WAS NOT A BLESSING BUT CAME FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:54 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
my church interprets it literally--i am divorced and cannot ever remarry for in my faith marriage is a sacrament from GOD (UNFORTUNATELY MY HUSBAND WAS NOT A BLESSING BUT CAME FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE)
This is the question that came to my mind. Was it because of your sinful ways that the marriage ended, or was it because of your spouse's sinful ways?

If it was your spouse's, and you didn't sin, how is that fair that you now have to live the rest of your life alone?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:10 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
read the bible and it doesnt interpret it any other way

You can't remarry after a divorce

Those who do are living in adultery

31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 AM

503 posts, read 937,387 times
One person to divorce another is a sin. This means if you are not sure what that person is really like you should not marry them in the first place. If you divorce and remarry, I believe that is adulturious. Just my interpretation

Old 01-23-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
read the bible and it doesnt interpret it any other way

You can't remarry after a divorce

Those who do are living in adultery

31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
One person to divorce another is a sin. This means if you are not sure what that person is really like you should not marry them in the first place. If you divorce and remarry, I believe that is adulturious. Just my interpretation
You both have made statements that to divorce and remarry is sin. Period. Why do you leave out, "saving for the cause of fornication"?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:29 PM

fornication happens before marriage which means that the spouse cheated during their engagement period.

i would consider that an annullment more than a divorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
You both have made statements that to divorce and remarry is sin. Period. Why do you leave out, "saving for the cause of fornication"?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
fornication happens before marriage which means that the spouse cheated during their engagement period.

i would consider that an annullment more than a divorce
I have heard this before... please explain it to me?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:12 PM

it's in the old testament

if someone cheats on your during your engagement period and you find out after you're married then you are allowed to get divorced from them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I have heard this before... please explain it to me?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,203,009 times
Quote:
it's in the old testament

if someone cheats on your during your engagement period and you find out after you're married then you are allowed to get divorced from them

I think you're also permitted to stone them to death. Good thing that's not enforced so strictly nowadays.

I'm an adulterer by this definition of remarriage after divorce. I confess it and remain steadfastly loyal, unswervingly faithful, and totally devoted to my God, my second wife, and our blended family.

I'm also guilty of Jesus' definition of adulterer as one who looks after a woman lustfully. I'm not proud of it, but those who say they have no sin are liars and the truth is not in them.

Guilty as charged. Justified by the blood. Eternally grateful.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 PM

good thing Jesus REINFORCED WHAT ADULTERY IS

you can't live in sin and expect repentance

Jesus said to bring fruit of repentance

Unfortunately, people do what they think is right, and may God open their eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
I think you're also permitted to stone them to death. Good thing that's not enforced so strictly nowadays.

I'm an adulterer by this definition of remarriage after divorce. I confess it and remain steadfastly loyal, unswervingly faithful, and totally devoted to my God, my second wife, and our blended family.

I'm also guilty of Jesus' definition of adulterer as one who looks after a woman lustfully. I'm not proud of it, but those who say they have no sin are liars and the truth is not in them.

Guilty as charged. Justified by the blood. Eternally grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity