Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:19 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times

Advertisements

what you do in your personal life is btwn you and God

for debate's sake we debate the Word of God to get a better understanding

btw - we're all sinners ...including me

sorry if i was too strong. Probably my first apology here but because my oldest brother went through this.

He hasn't finalized his divorce..(his wife was married for a 2nd time, but his first) but he asked his Pastor what he thought.
The Pastor told him that his marriage wasn't/isn't recognized by God
btw his divorce wasn't because of scriptures...he later learned after asking his pastor while in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
OK renriq...I think we both agree that I'm a sinner.

The list of those who shall not inherit the kingdom includes many vices. Paul goes on to say in 1 Cor. 6:11 that many in that church were guilty of the very same offenses...but are now washed, sanctified and justified in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Time for me to sign off for the weekend. Peace be with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 05:27 PM

71 posts, read 111,309 times
Paul encourages a widow of young age to remarry. Divorce is bad dont let any one tell you otherwise. Adultery is the only way to divorce other than death as it is a covenant. Marriage is making two... one. How then can one be split back in two. We look at divorce as far to accepted and try to make it acceptable. I did see one man show repentance of his previous sin. He said he wouldnt do it again. He turned away from his sin. That is what repentence is. Thanks for your witness brother.

Oh.... and since breaking a covenant is a sin so is divorce with out cause.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:48 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
OK renriq...I think we both agree that I'm a sinner.

The list of those who shall not inherit the kingdom includes many vices. Paul goes on to say in 1 Cor. 6:11 that many in that church were guilty of the very same offenses...but are now washed, sanctified and justified in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Time for me to sign off for the weekend. Peace be with you.
But I think you MISSED ONE KEY POINT OF 1Cor. 6:11. Paul said right in the beginning of verse 11 that SOME OF THEM ONCE LIVED THAT WAY. These Christians were former partaking in those sins and now that they are living for Christ, they have COMPLETELY STOPPED LIVING IN THOSE SINS.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
Which I will forever say, MANY Christians with this kind of thinking essentially marry FOR sex despite what else they may think they marry for. In addition, married people can still be sexually promiscuous.

Put another way:

- I want sex
- If I have sex/lust without benefit of marriage, I will sin against God
- I need sex and don't want to sin so I will get married
I think I get your point. But a christian who fears God with the highest reverence and out of OBEDIENCE to HIM would marry if that meant he or she staying sexually pure by being in a monogomous relationship that God intended in the first place. Talking about praising and glorifying God by keeping your body sexually pure and for just one person?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:04 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the driving force behind this and other jewish customs is to get people to honor their promises something modern americans are horrible simply horrible about doing. marriage house, car, job, student loan, mastercard, you name it, breech of contract a major issue. huge source of our troubles unwillingness to meet our obligations.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the driving force behind this and other jewish customs is to get people to honor their promises something modern americans are horrible simply horrible about doing. marriage house, car, job, student loan, mastercard, you name it, breech of contract a major issue. huge source of our troubles unwillingness to meet our obligations.
Amen, you just gave me an ah ha! You are 100% right and boy we don't honor our promises to anything these days. Many people can't even commit to a weekly religious service if they aren't entertained or being preached feel good sermons all of the time. Thanks for the post.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:25 AM

51 posts, read 98,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Amen, you just gave me an ah ha! You are 100% right and boy we don't honor our promises to anything these days. Many people can't even commit to a weekly religious service if they aren't entertained or being preached feel good sermons all of the time. Thanks for the post.
Honor our promises, what? The institute of marriage is the earthly representation of Christ's love for His church. "Husbands love your wives as Christ loves the Church and gave Himself up for her." If we view marriage in this way we will be less likely to divorce. I hope that Jesus won't just walk out on me because He is growing impatient or because He sees someone He likes better. We are true Christians and we have to take God's word seriously. We are His representives here in a fallen world and we are called out of this world.

Also the Bible gives two grounds for divorce: (1) infidelity, and (2) if an unbelieving spouse wants to leave

Old 01-24-2009, 03:17 AM

381 posts, read 798,948 times
i think it is okay to marry and biblical since we're forgiven for your sins past ,present and future. we're once saved always saved. you can't be saved again, you can only repent for falling away and return unto Him.

Quote:
by antredd"many people cannot to a weekly religious service if they aren't entertained andpreached fell good sermons. all the time"

that is why john macarthur refers to this modern phenonenom as "easy believism" in his book The gospel according to Jesus.

Slick presentaiton and cool audio/video eye candy has reduce d the Gospel message of healing and then repentance taught by christ to
1) the tax collector
2) the woman at the well
3) the rich young ruler
4) the prodical son

Easy Believism stamps your ticket for admission into the pearly gates as fast as the turnstile ushers you through at a pro footbal game. Once in your off to the seat to the game and you have quickly forgotten any cost associated with having gotten in. Now you get to be entertained!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:09 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
This is the question that came to my mind. Was it because of your sinful ways that the marriage ended, or was it because of your spouse's sinful ways?

If it was your spouse's, and you didn't sin, how is that fair that you now have to live the rest of your life alone?
it was because of my spouses drugging,adultery and danger to my self----while it isn't fair that i must live my life alone,it is what my church taught----i went into the marriage intending it to be forever as biblically it was to be----kept trying for over 30 years,but had no choice when he left in a drug induced rage and i had to be safe

Old 01-24-2009, 08:14 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
it was because of my spouses drugging,adultery and danger to my self----while it isn't fair that i must live my life alone,it is what my church taught----i went into the marriage intending it to be forever as biblically it was to be----kept trying for over 30 years,but had no choice when he left in a drug induced rage and i had to be safe
Your church doesn't teach that remarriage is ok after adultery? That may be what your church teaches, but what does the bible say? (I know you don't agree renriq). If you don't want to be alone, maybe you should stop listening to what other people say, and just study the bible.

I'm so sorry you went through all that. I went through it all as well, but I only stayed for 16 yrs before leaving. May the rest of your years be peaceful and happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity