Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Its amazing how you see what you want to see
Epistles: Letters written by Christian Apostles in the first century CE.

Leviticus: Book of ceremonial law written about 1500 years earlier than the Epistles.

I really don't get what you're driving at with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:28 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
The problem is that the conflicts between what is and isn't true in this "God-breathed Scripture" and the morals taught by this same scripture is sufficient to discredit the entire book.

For an example, using the story of Sodom and Gomorrah....offering your daughters to a a crowd so they could be raped is an example of "training in righteousness" or getting your dad drunk so he would knock up the daughters is useful for teaching?

Or maybe we should begin stoning our daughters if they don't agree to marry the guy we want them to marry and, instead, choose to elope. And lets not forget that allowing my son to play football is a capital crime requiring him to be stoned to death....a capital offense....at least for him....is equipping him for every good work? Of course the up side, is that if I need some extra cash, I can sell my daughter into slavery. And from the example of Abram, I know that if the guy I sell her to rapes her and knocks her up, my grand kid will be raised as a good slave as well....unfortunately, as I would no longer have any rights to the grand kid, I not only don't get to visit him, I don't get a commission if he gets sold to someone else.........

I'm sorry, but if the old testament is so badly flawed in morals and ethics and it too is "useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" then that diminishes the credibility of the entire book. Once that occurs, what we have to do is look at what JESUS said and did. Not Paul, Appolos, Peter, or anyone else......and Jesus taught love, compassion, and understanding. Not "who's in charge" or follow this rule or that rule..................
Good grief, my ten year old can read the story of Lot and Sodom and Gommorah and know that this isn't teaching of doctrine. Lot is not seen to be a pillar of sound judgment and faith by anyone's standards.

The Old Testament is beautiful in that God's love for his people remained constant when their sinful ways caused them to do many ignorant things. Each of the "heros" in the Old Testament are shown with all their flaws.

The Law was given to show man his sinfulness and his inability to uphold it. All have fallen. The whole of scripture finds its climax in the cross. All that precedes it in one way or another is pointing toward the cross and the need of the Savior, all of scripture following the cross is a discourse of the new life and new creation that is ours in light of the cross.

Reading scripture with Jesus and his death, burial and resurrection as the theme of everything pre and post of it puts all scripture in a new light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity