Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:13 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times

Advertisements

Something else that bothers me. Jesus said to go into all the world and preach the gospel. That is the death, burial, and resurection of Christ right? So why do so many churches use the letters that some of "the guys" wrote as gospel? They'll pull something out of an epistle, like the stuff about women being silent in church, and say that just because it was written by an apostle that it must be true for all eternity....This drove me nuts when I went to church!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:03 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Something else that bothers me. Jesus said to go into all the world and preach the gospel. That is the death, burial, and resurection of Christ right? So why do so many churches use the letters that some of "the guys" wrote as gospel? They'll pull something out of an epistle, like the stuff about women being silent in church, and say that just because it was written by an apostle that it must be true for all eternity....This drove me nuts when I went to church!

Those of us who believe that the Bible is the word of God believe that the epistles are also inspired by God. It was promised by Jesus that all that He had taught the disciples would be revealed to them, by the Holy Spirit. It was revealed, and is recorded in the epistles. They contain the doctrine of Christ, as does the book of Acts, and the 4 'Gospels'.
Yes, we are to obey the gospel, then we are to go on and continue in the doctrine of Christ, just as the early disciples did.
I take it you do not think the epistles were inspired ?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:39 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,290 times
There is a lot of gospel (good news) in the epistles. People were just as prone to bend the rules then as we are now. The apostolic guidance we have on record in the New Testament still helps keep church order, discipline and effectiveness in today's world. That's part of the 'make disciples' commission given in Matthew and carried out in Acts and the epistles.

I understand the conflict over keeping women silent in church, though. I believe those exhortations were written specifically to a church leader facing a specific obstacle in his congregation. How many churches today have problems with their female membership speaking out of ignorance? Not too many! In fact, if some churches didn't have active women, they'd wait forever for their men to step out in a leadership role.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:27 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
......... The apostolic guidance we have on record in the New Testament still helps keep church order, discipline and effectiveness in today's world............
This "church order, discipline and effectiveness" is what Jesus was talking about doing away with.........He didn't demonstrate church order or discipline when He lost it and cast out the authorized merchants.......His message was to get to know God, rather than get "right" with the churches in power.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
This "church order, discipline and effectiveness" is what Jesus was talking about doing away with.........He didn't demonstrate church order or discipline when He lost it and cast out the authorized merchants.......His message was to get to know God, rather than get "right" with the churches in power.
Indeed, Jesus cast out the moneychangers and rebuked them for turning "a house of prayer" into a den of thieves. It's that kind of focus we need from the epistles. I know some people post here because they hold some grievance against organized religion being practiced at the building down on the corner. That kind of church wasn't what I was talking about. I'm talking about you and I - as believers in Jesus - who are part of the Church, who need the truth in the epistles to guide our steps.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,166,936 times
Sometimes people lean more on knowledge from the epistles rather than The Greatest Commandment and second.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:00 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Jesus taught relationship, the epistles teach rules......big difference

Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Sometimes people lean more on knowledge from the epistles rather than The Greatest Commandment and second.
You make a very good point, but if used properly the epistles can further elaborate the two great commandments.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:04 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:22 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Jesus taught relationship, the epistles teach rules......big difference
Ever read the book of Romans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity