Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:12 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,600,612 times

Advertisements

I have wondered what is meant by...

He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.

In the Jewish bible it states:
He put to death in the flesh and brought to life by the Spirit; and in this form he went and made a proclamation to the imprisoned spirits, to those who were disobedient long ago in the days of Noah, when God waited patiently during the building of the ark....

Is this referring to demons during Noah's time or is it referring to those people who were disobedient during Noah's time? This has perplexed me!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 04:29 PM

14,886 posts, read 17,170,876 times
Here is a related thread on this that was started not too long ago. God bless.

Gospel preached to the dead

Old 07-16-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Here is a related thread on this that was started not too long ago. God bless.

Gospel preached to the dead
Thxs alot!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:42 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,732 times
I know how those who teach ceaseless torture for ever try to explain away the several verses in 1 Peter that refer to the gospel preached to the dead. It is very unconvincing. They try to make Jesus preach to them through Noah, after which they became the dead. That is certainly NOT what it says in the Scripture. It is a theory nowhere stated, that could have been what God said here if that was what He meant. The Church in the beginning, and for several hundreds of years following, regarded as important what Jesus did as a Spirit when He was dead. It was in the earliest creeds that Jesus "went to hell." In the next chapter of 1 Peter it says this: "For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." (1 Pt 4:6, AV)

Why not accept it for what it says? The popular theory that God no longer works with you once you die is false. Many teach that death determines your destiny. This is nowhere stated in the Bible. The familiar fragment used with this kind of doctrine does NOT say it: "...it is appointed unto man once to die, and after (literally, with, Gk: meta) that the judgment." You do realize additionally that we shall not all sleep, but we will be changed?

God never quits except to rest after He's accomplished all His good pleasure. He's bringing each of us the easiest way we'll come. God is love.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
I know how those who teach ceaseless torture for ever try to explain away the several verses in 1 Peter that refer to the gospel preached to the dead. It is very unconvincing. They try to make Jesus preach to them through Noah, after which they became the dead. That is certainly NOT what it says in the Scripture. It is a theory nowhere stated, that could have been what God said here if that was what He meant. The Church in the beginning, and for several hundreds of years following, regarded as important what Jesus did as a Spirit when He was dead. It was in the earliest creeds that Jesus "went to hell." In the next chapter of 1 Peter it says this: "For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." (1 Pt 4:6, AV)

Why not accept it for what it says? The popular theory that God no longer works with you once you die. That death determines your destiny. This is nowhere stated in the Bible. The usual fragment used does NOT say it: "...it is appointed unto man once to die, and after (literally, with, Gk: meta) that the judgement."
I can understand what you are saying. I don't know of such theories since I studied the word alone at home. I am ignorant of many teachings discussed on this form which I am glad of that! I do not see a loving God judging you upon your death but one who sends his Son to that indivdual at that time to provide eternal life. In fact, when my mother was dying (though the body was not fully expired) I could hear voices as I slept telling her to pray. That experience revealed to me that at that time God sent ministering spirits to her. I now understand the love of God for people, even those who do not believe even on their death bed.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:01 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,571,083 times
Quote:

Why not accept it for what it says? The popular theory that God no longer works with you once you die is false. Many teach that death determines your destiny. This is nowhere stated in the Bible. The familiar fragment used with this kind of doctrine does NOT say it: "...it is appointed unto man once to die, and after (literally, with, Gk: meta) that the judgment." You do realize additionally that we shall not all sleep, but we will be changed?

God never quits except to rest after He's accomplished all His good pleasure. He's bringing each of us the easiest way we'll come. God is love.
And what you believe is nowhere stated in the bible either nor is none of what you said - all assumption

Your quote:
Quote:
1 Peter that refer to the gospel preached to the dead.

That is not what it says,

(1 Peter 3:19-20) 19in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison,
20who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.

Show me ANYWHERE in the bible where is refers to dead people as "spirits"?

Old 07-17-2009, 04:04 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:

Amen, James!!

Old 07-17-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I can understand what you are saying. I don't know of such theories since I studied the word alone at home. I am ignorant of many teachings discussed on this form which I am glad of that! I do not see a loving God judging you upon your death but one who sends his Son to that indivdual at that time to provide eternal life. In fact, when my mother was dying (though the body was not fully expired) I could hear voices as I slept telling her to pray. That experience revealed to me that at that time God sent ministering spirits to her. I now understand the love of God for people, even those who do not believe even on their death bed.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I did not say that but if you want one...here it is Matthew 27:51-53

Old 07-17-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I did not say that but if you want one...here it is Matthew 27:51-53
It wasn't directed at you...MADE A MISTAKE...SORRY...IT WAS JAMES and those verses you gave do not have the term "spirits"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity