Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:04 AM

696 posts, read 915,890 times

Advertisements

Hello people I am new here and often sit up late at night searching thru the internet on Christ. I have always been a believer and most recently was baptised. I do not speak much in person, but many people always say that I display great wisdom on the Bible. I admit I am a layman I do not elevate myself to any level.

My question is this. In the Bible I see examples of the idea of fellowship. Fellowship with Christ and christians in general is a problem for me. Ive been a loner most of my life and even my pastor who is a great man doesnt always see my question.

What is fellowship to you? While I value personal input I wouldnt mind any books on the topic. Any recommendations you have. I know the Bible, but I am looking more for a true teacher who can help expand my views. Of note I am very much inline with Pastor J Vernon McGee and his studies. This is much of the basis for my theology questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschultz73 View Post
Hello people I am new here and often sit up late at night searching thru the internet on Christ. I have always been a believer and most recently was baptised. I do not speak much in person, but many people always say that I display great wisdom on the Bible. I admit I am a layman I do not elevate myself to any level.

My question is this. In the Bible I see examples of the idea of fellowship. Fellowship with Christ and christians in general is a problem for me. Ive been a loner most of my life and even my pastor who is a great man doesnt always see my question.

What is fellowship to you? While I value personal input I wouldnt mind any books on the topic. Any recommendations you have. I know the Bible, but I am looking more for a true teacher who can help expand my views. Of note I am very much inline with Pastor J Vernon McGee and his studies. This is much of the basis for my theology questions.
What is your denomination? J Vernon Mcgee was a Reformed Presbyterian, is that more in line with your theology? I would suggest Matthew Henry. Lots of his studies are on all the online Bibles, and much of his work is in the Blue Letter Bible online. Very thorough. Just about every verse is broken down with meticulous precision and is exegetically detailed.

I would start there. And welcome to the wild west of theology at City Data....even if it is on the internet, it is a good place to start fellowship, in anonymity. There are many ideas here, but not all is in line with the Presbyterian doctrine, but you will begin to notice who is and who isn't.

I am a Full Preterist, as well I am a reformed Presbyterian. The only difference between reformed presbyterian preterists and reformed presbyterians is the understanding of justification, and the understanding of many Reformed men (such as Ridderbos), is that we as Full Preterists put the eschatological consummation of justification in the past, rather they put it in the future.

There are many forums on the Net that solely allow Presbyterians in, so that might be a better place for you if you are just getting started. Like I said, there are many views in this forum, and I really feel it is important, that if you are new or even somewhat new to the faith, it is best to find a group that believes what you believe, so that you can strengthen your faith with them, before you enter an arena like this one, where there are many.....say......questionable theologies, mine included to some that frequent here....and we debate them at full force...no holds barred....and it can get pretty confusing for some...that haven't got a firm grip on their beliefs....almost terrifying.

But like I said, I am a Presbyterian, and there are others here that are as well, so you are in good hands, if you need to be.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:38 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Aschultz73, welcome to the motley crew here.

Here is an article by a man that, in my estimation, was a very wise man.
If you wish to have more of the article pm (private message) me and I can e-mail it to you.

P.S. Just as an aside, did you know 90% of Presbyterian ministers are closet Universalists? My dad was raised Presbetyrian and was taught as I believe that God will save all mankind (1 Tim.2:4-6).

ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ ÍÍÍ
p243 THE TRUE BASIS OF FELLOWSHIP
ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄ

GOD founds fellowship on conduct: man makes it a matter of
doctrine. So settled is the supposition that creed is the basis of
communion that no one seems to think it necessary to consult the
Scriptures on the subject. Their plain directions, both in precept
and practice, find no response even among those who are
intelligent students and ardent champions of truth. A man may be
perfect in his moral record, yet, if he hold aught of unorthodox
truth, his company is shunned, he is an outcast much more
obnoxious than the moral leper. How has man changed God's ways! In
Corinth it was found necessary to exclude one of their members
from fellowship. What heresy did he hold? There were those in that
communion who held "fundamental" error. They denied the
resurrection. If there is no resurrection, all is false and
futile. Christ is still dead. We are still in our sins. All
depends upon the truth of resurrection. Was he the ringleader of
this delusion? Surely such ought to be put out! So we may reason,
but not so is God's way. The heretics are kept in fellowship: the
immoral man (whatever his doctrines may have been) is excluded,
with a view to his restoration. This example alone should teach us
that fellowship is not based on doctrine, but on deportment.
Should we not search our hearts as to this matter and see if we
have been guilty of breaking the bonds which bound us to one of
our brethren on the ground that he embraced some doctrine which we
decided was unorthodox? Should we not haste to repair any such
breach and acknowledge our departure from the path of peace?

p244 Fellowship is not Based on Doctrine
but Depends on Deportment

As a result of this case in Corinth we are given a list of
the crimes which exclude from fellowship. Railing, drunkenness and
extortion are among them. Alas! how often do those who
excommunicate others on the ground of doctrine do so with words
and expressions which might well bring upon themselves the ban
they seek to place upon a heretic!
How this flares up in Paul's Galatian protest! Why did he not
clear the church of the Judaizing teachers who were perverting the
gospel he had preached? Did he wish them to continue their
destructive work among them? Not at all. So he vents his feelings
in the suppressed exclamation, "I would they would even cut
themselves off who trouble you" (Gal.5:12, margin). He could
not cut them off. But so sorely was his heart tried by their
denial of God's grace that he could not bear to see any further
effects of their work. Today Galatian error is Christian
orthodoxy. Everywhere are those who ought to cut themselves off.
But let us beware of doing it for them.
But what is the true foundation of fellowship? In the
Scriptures it is set forth in a two-fold fashion. In its divine
aspect it is based on unity of spirit; in its human side it
depends on deportment.
It is ours to assiduously keep the unity formed by the spirit
of God, which includes all who are His. On the other hand, we do
not know who these are. "The Lord knoweth them that are His" (2
Tim.2:19). All we can tell is by their actions. "Let everyone that
nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." There is a
practical side to fellowship which has been made dependent on
doctrine which should be founded on life and conduct.
(A.E. Knoch, Unsearchable Riches, vol.8, p243)

Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
GOD founds fellowship on conduct: man makes it a matter of
doctrine.
Sorry, but I find this extremely interesting and true.

Food for thought.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 AM

136 posts, read 203,710 times
Quote:

Hi I am pretty much of a loner too, if you are up late and need a really good link I suggest this one.
L. Ray Smith - Exposing Those Who Contradict
There is so much to read listen to and watch.
You probably won't agree with everything, maybe you will but very interesting.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 PM

I thank you for your responses. I am not a Presbyterian or any other denomination honestly. II follow Dr McGee more so out of a strong feeling of closeness to his words. In my short life I have been involved in Seventh Day Adventist, Unity, Catholic, Baptist, and I few others that were more so cults now in my eyes. Im aware of Dr McGee's Presbyterian roots, but have also heard him say to be a Old Baptist.

I have just recently began studying preterist and other views. I find myself to be more of a pretrib person not out of fear or the great tribulation, but because I have walked in Isreal and see a great deal of it being involved in end time affairs. And perhaps Im wrong, but Dr McGee points more to a pretrib rapture view than any other. I guess my point is I tend not to be affected by denominational views, but I do confess Catholic views I find a bit mind boggling so to say. However, I tend to look to the eternal than the worldly and as long as I see Christ this is enough for me.

I ask about the views of fellowship, because I am a bit of a loner like EJScott. I have done some classes at Regent U and am now taking some classes at Liberty U. This coupled with the fact that I joined a Baptist church who have fellowship. I guess I dont understand it. Sometimes I worry about my views on heaven as it seems to define a great fellowship. My view of heaven is that I can go to a mountain and sit in its beauty forever alone and be happy. Of course thats not literally what I would like to do, but what it means to me. I have a hard time with closeness even in my marriage and my children. It really has bothered me lately.

I thank everyone for thier input, but I will say to me sin flaunted in the eyes of God is sin. I have not learned this in reading as I have learned this in my own flaws. While I dont condone isolating a person for thier sins, I will not love their sin or accept it. Doctrinal points of view I can work with, but what God declares abhorrent to him I can not overcome.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,625,672 times
There's nothing wrong with being a loner. It took me a long time to figure that out. If you try to be something other than what you are then it causes NOTHING but problems. I think you'll find that most of us here at CD are loner types. I'm not sure what your question is, really. If you're asking if it's okay not to get super involved with church people and their activities then I would say it's more than okay. If that's not your thing, then it's not your thing. Going to church is enough. In my case, I don't even do that. I have my reasons and no one is going to tell me that I'm less of a Christian because I don't attend church.

Some people really have a NEED to be involved in everything under the sun. The Bible says that "wherever two or more are gathered in my name there will I be also". Jesus is right here with us, right now. We are gathered in His name and therefore it's fellowship. There are different types of fellowship just like there are different types of people. Embrace your loner-ness and don't worry about it!!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:26 PM

Thanks I just sometimes see alot of people in church walking around and talking and my pastor who is a great teacher always points to bigger fellowship in heaven too. I just have not seen that in my life until I joined this church recently. It is an amazing thing. I just see it as something I have not known and dont know how to relate to. I actually did find a book on it today, but it seems the topic is not widely thought about. I guess thats why I wonder what fellowship means to some people.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,470 times
For me fellowship means spending time with people or God. We fellowship with the Lord when we read His Word, allow it to speak to us and we pray. For me... when I talk to God or ask Him a question and He impresses the answer to my heart I am fellowshipping with God.

Also, I fellowship with other believers by doing Bible studies, or just spending time with someone at a coffee shop or anywhere for that matter. It is simply sharing life with another person.

Ilene is correct when she says we are fellowshipping here on this forum.
So then fellowship is spending time with another person in discussion, prayer or even activity.

As far as your "loner" comment. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be alone but if one desires the company of another and is too uncomfortable or shy to be around people I think that indicates a need for further investigation and perhaps a healing from God in that area. Personally, I can be alone for long periods of time but I also enjoy being around people as well. There are some people that intimidate me but generally I love being around other believers and I feel comfortable with them.

For example, there are people that have certain insecurities or fears and these need to be dealt with. We should never feel inferior or less than around other Christians because we are not inferior. We are all unique, special and all of us make up the body of Christ. How is a body comprised? There is a hand, a foot, a head and every body part needs the other to function and one part is not better than another part. (I Corinthisans 12:12-28) Do you know what I mean?

I can sense from your posts that you are a very special person in God's Kingdom.. Your testimony is awesome and you have so much to offer.

You say you are new to this forum.. Well, we welcome you. Hopefully you will find answers here because this is a great place to fellowship.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:28 AM

478 posts, read 773,630 times
Quote:

Well, if you don't mind saying so, I think that simply by posting on here and initiating a thread, you're off to a great start at finding the fellowship you're after! Keep close to this site and I'm sure that here and there you'll find topics you'll want to contribute to by sharing your views, and after doing so- even if only somewhat consistently- you'll start to develop a rapport with certain members. It'll happen naturally, as it should, and you'll feel a level of comfort while, at the same time, you can remain the "loner" you probably enjoy being. That's one of the greatest perks to the internet! Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity