Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,348,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
This thread is not about KOINE but the CLNT.
Quote:
1. Is the CLNT concordance talking about THE "Holy Spirit" or something else? why is it not in capital letters?
Why?

There are no capital letters in the Koine Greek!

No>>>>>>>>>>Capital>>>>>>>>>>Letters

oV d an blasfhmhsh eiV to pneuma to agion ouk ecei afesin eiV ton aiwna all enocoV estin aiwniou krisews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:31 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,168,113 times
You know, I don't care if the Greek has caps or not. Jesus came to baptize with the Holy Spirit... As a sign of ultimate respect, I will use caps whether the Greek has them or not. God. Jesus. Holy Spirit.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
You know, I don't care if the Greek has caps or not. Jesus came to baptize with the Holy Spirit... As a sign of ultimate respect, I will use caps whether the Greek has them or not. God. Jesus. Holy Spirit.

Good for you S.W.!

Jesus Christ has come to baptize with the Holy Spirit and Fire. Capital letters or not, the results are spectacular!

Quote:
egw men umaV baptizw en udati eiV metanoian o de opisw mou ercomenoV iscuroteroV mou estin ou ouk eimi ikanoV ta upodhmata bastasai autoV umaV baptisei en pneumati agiw kai puri

Old 05-27-2009, 02:20 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
The Spirit of God, by Adolph E. Knoch (http://www.gtft.org/Library/knoch/TheSpiritOfGod.htm - broken link)

God bless.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:27 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post

Amen....StirringWaters!! RESPECT is beautiful thing, especially towards our Father, it His love that teaches us RESPECT!!!

Blessings

Old 05-27-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
The Spirit of God, by Adolph E. Knoch (http://www.gtft.org/Library/knoch/TheSpiritOfGod.htm - broken link)

God bless.

1 John 1: 5 THE GOD LIGHT IS

4:16 THE GOD LOVE IS

John 4:24 SPIRIT THE GOD

The last statement differs from the others in omitting IS.

It records a fact, not a figure. Hence we come to the definite conclusion that God is, literally, SPIRIT. He is not merely like SPIRIT, but is SPIRIT.

Quote:
pneuma o qeoV kai touV proskunountaV auton en pneumati kai alhqeia dei proskunein

Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 AM

1 posts, read 984 times
I am posting this information as found here:

biblical studies: Introducing The Concordant Literal New Testament, Part Two

PROBLEMS OF CAPITALIZATION

In the oldest Greek manuscripts, all the letters were capitals. Words occurring frequently, such as GOD, CHRIST, JESUS, LORD, SPIRIT, etc. were even abbreviated by showing only two or three letters of the respective Greek term. We are used to giving prominence to certain words by capitalizing the first letter, especially when referring to God or to Christ. When either one of them is in view, we also capitalize the respective pronouns, such as Thou, Thine, He, His, Himself, Who. Thus we are actually going beyond the Original, where no such distinctions were made.
Our Lord was occasionally addressed in an irreverent manner. In such cases, the pronoun “Thou” seems out of place, as in Luke 20:2, where the religious leaders of the Jews ask Him, “Tell us, by what authority are you doing these” things, “or who is giving you this authority?” On the other hand, we have capitalized the possessive pronoun in Matthew 7:22 where Jesus is dealing with the workers of lawlessness. Here we say “Your name,” since there is no irreverence intended, even though there is no obedient faith. Some other translators have also done this.
The Samaritan woman at the well is an enlightening example, showing the gradual recognition of the Lord as Messiah. She is speaking in unbelief when she says, “Whence, then, have you living water? Not greater are you than “our father Jacob” (John 4:11,12). A measure of true faith is underlying the reverence which is evident from her confession in verse 19, “Lord, I behold that thou art a prophet.“ Her next step toward recognizing Christ is indicated by capitalizing the pronouns in verse 25, “We are aware that Messiah is coming, Who is termed ‘Christ.’ Whenever He should be coming, He will be informing us of ‘all things.’ ”
There is a similar difficulty in connection with the word SPIRIT. To this problem, the compiler and his assistants have paid much attention during the past seventy years. Yet a solution which would be entirely satisfactory to everyone has not presented itself. In the Greek, of course, the equivalent for SPIRIT is always written and abbreviated in capital letters, even when the human spirit or evil spirits are in view.
Anyone who takes the time to go through all the occurrences of SPIRIT in the New Testament will find that, in addition, there is such variety of usage, that the line of demarcation between the DIVINE SPIRIT and the manifestation of spiritual qualities in a believer is not always easily recognizable.
Pneuma, the Greek equivalent, is described as the “power of the Most High” (Luke 1:35), and is used of [THE] SPIRIT OF GOD (Matt.3:16), THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD (Eph.4:30), THE SPIRIT OF YOUR FATHER (Matt.10:20), CHRIST’S SPIRIT (Rom.8:9), THE SPIRIT (Matt.27:50), [THE] SPIRIT OF [THE] LORD (Luke 4:18), [THE] SPIRIT OF SONSHIP (Rom.8:15), [A] SPIRIT OF WISDOM AND REVELATION (Eph.1:17), FERVENT IN SPIRIT (Acts 18:25; Rom.12:11), and others.
In our English-Greek KEYWORD CONCORDANCE we have spelled “Holy Spirit” with a capital “S,” and the Version has “vivifying Spirit” (1 Cor.15:45), to match “the second Man” and “the Celestial” One. But elsewhere, we would rather leave it to the reader to decide for himself which aspect of SPIRIT is in view at a given occurrence. We cannot imitate the Original and capitalize the whole word in all its occurrences, since such a procedure would give far too much prominence to the human spirit and to evil spirits. On the other hand, why print “The words . . . are spirit” (John 6:63), and “fervent in spirit” (Acts 18:25; Rom.12:11) with a small “s,” as has been done in some versions? In Romans 8:10, “The Spirit is Life,” we find capitalization in the King James Version, while other translators prefer to render it “The Spirit is alive.” Thus it becomes apparent that there exists no consensus with regard to these borderline cases. Hence we decided to keep our personal concept out of the controversy by not capitalizing the word spirit in its various occurrences. This should not be taken as a symptom of irreverence toward GOD’S HOLY SPIRIT but rather as a sign of our own incompetence to deal with the problem in a satisfactory manner, without injecting our own opinion, and thus detracting from the laud of His glory.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:12 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
The CLNT version contradicts all other versions so I would like to get to the bottom of this. From other versions we see Jesus talking about the Holy Spirit in capital letters whereas CLNT has the "holy spirit" in small letters. Is the CLNT version talking about THE "Holy Spirit" or something else?, if it is talking about THE "Holy Spirit" then why would a person be held accountable to God the Father for blaspheming the Holy Spirit, should not the person be held accountable to the Holy Spirit? Does this version imply that the Holy Spirit is not equal to God the Father? Does the CLNT not believe in the Trinity (co-equal, co-eternal)?
First off, let me say I have not yet read and re-read every single post in this marvelous thread. I have learned a lot reading the thread, and I have done a bit of external research.

The interlinear, of which CLNT is one, are tools for academic research. They are not, nor do they claim to be "bibles" in the sense that you and I understand the word to mean. That is, they are not tools of faith, but rather tools of academic learning. They take a Greek word, and provide the literal translation of that word into English (or other languages depending) If a Greek word has several meanings, my understanding is that the interlinear will note the several meanings, but emphasize the one that makes sense in the context of the original.

Forgive me for being simplistic, but in some cases word for word translation is pretty simple. Count to ten. Colors of the rainbow.Generic words like tree, fish, animal, boat, etc. But then there are those pesky idioms. I dont know any Greek idiom, but you might imagine trying to translate terms like kick as*, kiss my as*, drop dead, in your hat, work my fingers to the bone, between a rock and a hard place, turn up the heat, and so many more. When one translates for meaning, one might translate "kick as*" as work your hardest or work as hard as you can.

I think you are letting yourself get lost in the differences between the CLNT and the religious translations of the bible. They are not the same, nor do they serve the same purpose.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:33 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,181 times
Quote:
Scriptures (Mark 3:29)

King James Version
But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

God's word Version
But whoever curses the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven. He is guilty of an everlasting sin."

International Standard
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit can never be forgiven, but is guilty of eternal sin."

New American Standard Version
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin "--

Concordant Literal New Testament
"yet whoever should be blaspheming against the "holy spirit" is having no pardon for the eon, but is liable to the eonian (God) penalty for the sin."

The CLNT version contradicts all other versions so I would like to get to the bottom of this. From other versions we see Jesus talking about the Holy Spirit in capital letters whereas CLNT has the "holy spirit" in small letters. Is the CLNT version talking about THE "Holy Spirit" or something else?, if it is talking about THE "Holy Spirit" then why would a person be held accountable to God the Father for blaspheming the Holy Spirit, should not the person be held accountable to the Holy Spirit? Does this version imply that the Holy Spirit is not equal to God the Father? Does the CLNT not believe in the Trinity (co-equal, co-eternal)?
RESPONSE:

Did they use captials and lower case letters in Jesus' day?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 914 times
Default Trinty

There is no verse to support the belief in trinity. You have:

1. God, the Father who is greater than
2. God, the Son called Jesus.

The holy spirit is God the Father's spiritual presence.

There is no triune composed of three equal persons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity