Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:30 PM

14,884 posts, read 17,164,304 times

Advertisements

Hi, aionios life refers to the type of or quality of life that believers have during this age and in the age to come. It is the life of knowing God. Jesus said that eternal (aionios) life is knowng God and Jesus whom He has sent.

Different words are used for what we will have when we are raised by the Lord.

1 Cor. xv:51-54, "Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, (aphthartoi,) and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, (aphtharsian,) and this mortal must put on immortality (athanasian). So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, (aphtharsian,) and this mortal shall have put on immortality, (athanasian,) then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory." Rom. ii:7, "To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, (aphtharsia,) eternal life." (aionios) 1 Cor. xv:42, "So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption (aphtharsia)." See also verse 50, 2 Tim i:10, "Who brought life and immortality (aphtharsian) to light, through the gospel." 1 Tim. vi:16, "Who only hath immortality (athanasian)." On Aionios/Aion/ Tentmaker

God is the God of the aions (eons) those periods of time through which He is working out His purpose for the creation. God who created the aions, transcends the aions (eons). Believers have aionion life, the life of knowing God, however we will have immortality when we are raised to immortality by the Lord. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
2 Corinthians 5:8
"We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."

Yeah ... No. I see nothing in this verse that says anything about heaven ... Next?
Then it seems that you are a little slow

Old 06-23-2009, 12:21 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Then it seems that you are a little slow
Miss Shawn, perhaps i am slow, but the word heaven does not appear in that verse.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 AM

14,884 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776
"We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."

Yeah ... No. I see nothing in this verse that says anything about heaven ... Next?
Agree. God bless.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:12 PM

895 posts, read 475,811 times
Quote:

Also worth noting that it says "WILLING" Not WILL BE.
Further note, that no context of time is given, while most assume this to be instant, it is nothing more than conjecture.

When Jesus said to the theif "I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise" most people assume that to mean immediately upon death as well, but how can that be if Christ was in the grave for three days, THEN did some visiting with the ladies, THEN ascended to the Father?

Further if Christ was actually in the fabled hell "today", then was the thief also there too?

Try this out, move the KJV comma and read it again: "I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise". Today is when the telling is happening, not when the togetherness is happening.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Miss Shawn, perhaps i am slow, but the word heaven does not appear in that verse.
That's why studying scripture is important! If you are not understanding the scripture in english, then I don't see a need to give the greek scripture.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
That's why studying scripture is important! If you are not understanding the scripture in english, then I don't see a need to give the greek scripture.
Excuse Miss Shawn, i don't mean to aggravate you ... I just find it amusing how much people read into what the bible is saying. Sometimes i feel like i'm reading something entirely different then many other people. Whether in English or in Greek or in Hebrew. I see no reference to heaven at all in this verse in any language. I understand what your imagining, but this verse(2 Corinthians 5:8) doesn't necessarily mean that as we are in the grave we are with the lord in some heaven with pearly gates and peter standing by and by. It doesn't interpret itself, so we have to look for interpretation somewhere else in the bible. Everywhere in the bible death is described as sleep, and resurrection as awakening, this has to do with the state of consciousness.

Psa 6:5
For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

You are unconscious in death, but our consciousness will return upon our resurrection and those of us that believe will then be present with the lord, but at his coming here to earth. Now i do believe that perhaps we(the believers) may have a brief sojourn in our resurrected or changed bodies within the new city before he establishes his kingdom among the nations and we rule with him for an age.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Excuse Miss Shawn, i don't mean to aggravate you ... I just find it amusing how much people read into what the bible is saying. Sometimes i feel like i'm reading something entirely different then many other people. Whether in English or in Greek or in Hebrew. I see no reference to heaven at all in this verse in any language. I understand what your imagining, but this verse(2 Corinthians 5:8) doesn't necessarily mean that as we are in the grave we are with the lord in some heaven with pearly gates and peter standing by and by. It doesn't interpret itself, so we have to look for interpretation somewhere else in the bible. Everywhere in the bible death is described as sleep, and resurrection as awakening, this has to do with the state of consciousness.

Psa 6:5
For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

You are unconscious in death, but our consciousness will return upon our resurrection and those of us that believe will then be present with the lord, but at his coming here to earth. Now i do believe that perhaps we(the believers) may have a brief sojourn in our resurrected or changed bodies within the new city before he establishes his kingdom among the nations and we rule with him for an age.

I never said you was aggravating me. LIke I said before you just have to study scripture. If the scripture says that the body will psysically die, does the scripture have to say that the body will go to the grave. Well, from my understanding you don't, because when the body dies, it has to go to the earth, grave. There are just some things that you will have to comprehend in scripture, the Holy Spirit reveals.

To be present with the Lord is to be with Him. God says that He is in heaven, so if you are present with Him, then you are with Him. There are just some things you will have to study, and some things that the Holy Spirit will show you.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I never said you was aggravating me. LIke I said before you just have to study scripture. If the scripture says that the body will psysically die, does the scripture have to say that the body will go to the grave. Well, from my understanding you don't, because when the body dies, it has to go to the earth, grave. There are just some things that you will have to comprehend in scripture, the Holy Spirit reveals.

To be present with the Lord is to be with Him. God says that He is in heaven, so if you are present with Him, then you are with Him. There are just some things you will have to study, and some things that the Holy Spirit will show you.
The king David and Solomon where lying about death i suppose. If your comfortable believing that, be my guest and believe away. My nephews and nieces believe in Santa Clause, no harm no foul.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 06-25-2009 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
The king David and Solomon where lying about death i suppose. If your comfortable believing that, be my guest and believe away. My nephews and nieces believe in Santa Clause, no harm no foul.
Your nephews and nieches are children who don't know any better because they were taught of such nonsense.

Know they were not lying, I'm comfortable believing what God tells me what is His word, the Holy Spirit reveals truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity