Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:17 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times

Advertisements

The Vatican's very own Poopsie utters another profound thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 05:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times
I have read the complete history of the Catholic Church. Sure there have been mistakes made by different popes, bishops etc. At one time in history, we had 3 popes! It is not hidden. It is in print for all the world to see. The Church has survived (over 2000 years now) as promised by Jesus, and the gates of hell will not prevail against Her. Go ahead and spit on the Pope. He will forgive you!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:15 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
I have read the complete history of the Catholic Church. Sure there have been mistakes made by different popes, bishops etc. At one time in history, we had 3 popes! It is not hidden. It is in print for all the world to see. The Church has survived (over 2000 years now) as promised by Jesus, and the gates of hell will not prevail against Her. Go ahead and spit on the Pope. He will forgive you!
Hey Okie,

First of all I want to apologize if I tried to make it sound as though I was intentionally trying to offend your belief(s) or the avenue(s) you choose to practice those beliefs.

I'm assuming that you're Catholic and, to be quite honest, I don't have much against Catholics. In fact, I actually tend to relate to them better on a personal level than ordinary Evangelical Christians. In fact, whatever part of my family that does hold some sort of belief is, to my knowledge, mostly Catholically oriented.

However, I find the "Catholic Church" as an organizational and even governmental entity to be one filled with a history of violence, propaganda, and doublespeak often perpetuated by some of the highest leaders of it. This, of course, does not speak to the people who follow the Catholic Church any more than aligning crooked politicians in America (or other countries) with the people who elected them.

But, let's face it. The Catholic Church has committed some horrible things throughout history, and in my opinion, still does in some parts of the world. Again, this is not to say that I find every worshipping Catholic to be someone who advocates this sort of thing but merely a miniscule part of an organization that has or continues to do such things.

My disdain for the current Pope is one that I think is mutually shared by many people in today's society - some Catholics included. His regressive rather than progressive stance(s) irk me and make me wonder under what pretense the Cardinals who elected him did such a thing.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:17 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Hey Okie,

First of all I want to apologize if I tried to make it sound as though I was intentionally trying to offend your belief(s) or the avenue(s) you choose to practice those beliefs.

I'm assuming that you're Catholic and, to be quite honest, I don't have much against Catholics. In fact, I actually tend to relate to them better on a personal level than ordinary Evangelical Christians. In fact, whatever part of my family that does hold some sort of belief is, to my knowledge, mostly Catholically oriented.

However, I find the "Catholic Church" as an organizational and even governmental entity to be one filled with a history of violence, propaganda, and doublespeak often perpetuated by some of the highest leaders of it. This, of course, does not speak to the people who follow the Catholic Church any more than aligning crooked politicians in America (or other countries) with the people who elected them.

But, let's face it. The Catholic Church has committed some horrible things throughout history, and in my opinion, still does in some parts of the world. Again, this is not to say that I find every worshipping Catholic to be someone who advocates this sort of thing but merely a miniscule part of an organization that has or continues to do such things.

My disdain for the current Pope is one that I think is mutually shared by many people in today's society - some Catholics included. His regressive rather than progressive stance(s) irk me and make me wonder under what pretense the Cardinals who elected him did such a thing.
I bet you are on the list for the next nice Inquisition they will surely have.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:37 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I bet you are on the list for the next nice Inquisition they will surely have.
Yeah, well, I've got a lot going for me when it comes to the "hit list" of religious organizations.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:47 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Yeah, well, I've got a lot going for me when it comes to the "hit list" of religious organizations.
That may be, Troop, but I'd protect you with every breath of my being if you were targeted simply for being an atheist.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Yes. Then we know it's true as opposed to protestants thinking or hoping something is true but never really knowing for sure.
So now that you do....what? Are you gonna believe what God Himself has to say about it? Or, your going to wait for your next "prompting" from the Pope? Forget the Protestants. Just curious.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:26 PM

198 posts, read 388,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
It intrigues me that Catholicism even bothers you. Rome's 10,000 miles from where you are.
It also intrigues me that so many are "bothered" that much by Catholicism to the point they must obsess with it like they do.

I don't get it. I just don't. If Catholicism bothers some people like this, then why obsess over it to the point their life revolves around attacking us Catholics and trying to make us see how wrong we are?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Gal View Post
It also intrigues me that so many are "bothered" that much by Catholicism to the point they must obsess with it like they do.

I don't get it. I just don't. If Catholicism bothers some people like this, then why obsess over it to the point their life revolves around attacking us Catholics and trying to make us see how wrong we are?

I don't know about the "rest", but I will speak for myself. I will confront a lie head on any day! The pope can NEVER replace the one and only true FATHER! Even he will bow to the almighty, eventually!

And if you feel like you're being "attack", maybe it's your own conscious that's trying to tell you something. Just maybe.......

Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 PM

198 posts, read 388,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I will confront a lie head on any day!
How do you know Catholicism is a lie? You don't know it's a lie anymore than I know Protestantism is a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
The pope can NEVER replace the one and only true FATHER! Even he will bow to the almighty, eventually!
And if you knew anything at all about Catholicism, you'd know that's simply NOT true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity