Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Recently I have started to volunteer at the local churches and help pass out food and clothing to those who are less fortunate. Well this Saturday I was doing just that at a local church and I was just appauled at how the people were behaving. I mean they were acting like savages.

This is what happened last Saturday: sorry it's a little long

The food pantry opens it's doors at 9AM. At 8:30 their were already 24 people in line. At that time number tickets were going to be distributed. When the people that were giving out the tickets got to the exterior doors to distribute the tickets to the people they were all gathering up around the door blocking access from everyone. They had to yell for the people to make way so they could get through and distribute the tickets. When handing out the tickets to the people others snatched tickets from the distributors' hands so they could get a better spot. By the time they were at the end of the line their was around 80 people in line. Okay so the doors opened at 9AM sharp. The people were lead into the holding area where they could get extras( like bread and sweets). Their were 11 tables completely filled with goods. At 9:15 those tables were empty.After getting sweets and bread the people are allowed to move to the hallway to get fruits,veggies,dairy products, and school supplies while they wait for their number to be called. One guy knocked the milk crates over to get milk( luckily only 3 jugs broke)( after that we had to guard the milk crates so people would keep their pawing hands away) Then not long after that someone hit this small child with a cart(Not sure if it was boy or girl..heard their cries from the other room because I was helping review the applications from new applicants) all I know is they were bruised.

The Clothing Shop didn't go over much better. Several racks were knocked down.

It was absolute madness. I hope it just happened to be a bad day and not how people usually act at Church food pantries.

Does anyone else here volunteer at churches? Is something like this common at these things? Or is this just an unfortunate isolated event?

Can anyone share any stories of similar events at church related functions?

GDude, I am not a church goer, but am a volunteer who sometimes works in a church and I have experienced the same thing. They just love that free stuff. What bothers me the most are families that come in wearing designer outfits, talking on their blackberry, having a jolly old time, taking free donations from the people who are less fortunate. Tell me that ain't disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 10:47 AM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
I think that some of people who are needy in this way have their priorities mixed up. I worked with a young mother once who was more concerned about getting a cell phone and stereo system back in the day, than being concerned the basics like food that her baby was going to eat She saw what others had and wanted this too. God bless.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
GDude, I am not a church goer, but am a volunteer who sometimes works in a church and I have experienced the same thing. They just love that free stuff. What bothers me the most are families that come in wearing designer outfits, talking on their blackberry, having a jolly old time, taking free donations from the people who are less fortunate. Tell me that ain't disgusting.
That's just ridiculous and made up

Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Every one has given good advice. I was wondering gdude if this was the first time this congregation has done this in this area? Hopefully, they will consider what happened and make plans so that things go smoother the next time. God bless.
This isn't the first time the church has done a food pantry. It's the first time the church is letting non-members help the community and the church. They've been doing a food pantry for years now. From what I hear incidents like these have been on the rise in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
That is disgusting but I have to tell you that I seriously doubt that is true. I was helping review the applications and from looking at them some of the people their were financially okay and could afford groceries and clothes. They were just their for free food and clothes.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:18 PM

914 posts, read 1,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
This isn't the first time the church has done a food pantry. It's the first time the church is letting non-members help the community and the church. They've been doing a food pantry for years now. From what I hear incidents like these have been on the rise in the area.

That is disgusting but I have to tell you that I seriously doubt that is true. I was helping review the applications and from looking at them some of the people their were financially okay and could afford groceries and clothes. They were just their for free food and clothes.

Its true. I am a total liar.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:31 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
Well if your telling the truth then I believe you. It sounds a little far fetched but then again their is a first for everything.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:55 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,311 times
Most of you sound a little self righteous about helping others. I have been in social services for most of my adult life and have found that people who need help often have shame and don't need to be patronized. People act as they are treated - that has been my experience.

If your experience with the needy in your community is really this way I would suggest helping people to feel included in the process - like Habitat for Humanity - we will build you a house, but you will help in building it.

Lastly, it is important to have food distributed every day. Not just on "important" dates whatever that may mean.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:09 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
Lastly, it is important to have food distributed every day. Not just on "important" dates whatever that may mean.
Do people sound such statements off without an iota of lateral thinking?

Such large scale generosity on a 365-day basis would have emptied my Dad's bank accounts

Obviously christians don't have money growing trees in their gardens, lol. I recently donated one grand for the denver archdiocese to help less fortunate brethren in this economy and this is just the tip of the iceberg. I have a list of agencies to whom I'm shelling a fair share of my monthly paycheque regularly, even for Assyrian christian families in the middle east.

And this is all I can do if this is "whatever that may mean"

My general hope is that the remaining christians on the planet will fill into the void so that the 365-day generosity is somehow achieved on the face of the earth. It takes everyone and not just one or one family.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:44 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
I bet a lot of them were anything but starving. Handicapped, and elderly should have been allowed in first. My local churches have emergency food, and help. We might seem like a poor town, but if you speak up, you won't starve. I donate food when I can. Good nutrition is the key to a healthy population.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:47 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Default Food Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
That's just ridiculous and made up

I can attest to the fact that we have people in my town who are well dressed, and drive expensive cars, and DO accept commodities, and freebies at our local thrift shop. May God strike me dead, if I am lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity