Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:56 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Indeed, in that case i would say that depends on what kind of government we have? And it would have to do something with whether or not America is truly a country/government of the people by the people.
Of course we have a very corrupt government. But every government has some level of corruption; that the nature of the beast. But that shouldn't be the determining factor in addressing the question I put forth. Should Christians obey their God-appointed government, corrupt as it is, when it passes a law saying we have to buy health insurance. That's the question before us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:59 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Should Christians obey their God-appointed government, corrupt as it is, when it passes a law saying we have to buy health insurance. That's the question before us.
Yes, I believe so.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 AM

Most Christians will probably ignore the law, that is until they find out they'll face a hefty fine for not complying. Then the Holy Spirit will "convict" them of their Christian duty.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:03 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,526 times
maybe I understood something wrong

but in Germany everyone must have a health insurance and we wonder about America that some people there will receive no medical care if they can't afford it, I can't see any problem there but maybe I missunderstood

Old 08-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
maybe I understood something wrong

but in Germany everyone must have a health insurance and we wonder about America that some people there will receive no medical care if they can't afford it, I can't see any problem there but maybe I missunderstood
At the risk of turning this into a political debate: my understanding about the EU is that health ins. is provided free; there is no law that says "go out and buy it or get it or else!" You merely register for it and boom! You have it free. In America, if one doesn't get ins through their job, then one either goes without or goes out and buys a policy privately at great expense eg. $1000-2000 for a family of four, or sometimes ins is unavailable at any price if even one family member has pre-existing conditions and depending on the severity of those conditions. Right now, for the uninsured it's optional. This new law would make it mandatory for uninsured to get ins or face punitive fines.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:25 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Basically, a provision in the current health care debate could become law whereby all Americans are obligated to buy health care insurance if it's not provided for you and your family by your job, or if you are uninsured at present. The Fed promises the premiums will be affordable but we know better! Point being, if this law passes would uninsured Christians be obligated under the Pauline doctrine in Romans 13:5 to obey even if it meant they had to cut to the bone on everything else to pay the premiums?
Yes, I believe we would be obligated.

Paul

Old 08-09-2009, 03:55 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Yeah but car insurance is for the protection of the guy you might crash into! Big difference. Health care is supposed to be a personal choice thing. If Joe Schmoe chooses to not have insurance then that is his choice.
Its not a personal choice thing.. you present to the ER and get your bill and skip out on it.. someone has to pay for it. Get it? That cost gets passed on in the form of higher negotiated rates to private insurance companies who then pass that down in the form of higher premiums to their covered members..

so no.. there is no "big difference"

Old 08-09-2009, 05:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Everyone either needs to be insured or only get whatever treatment they can afford to pay out of their own pocket. When you run out of money you go home. That's it for you.

Once you think about that you will understand why it should be mandatory. While our conscious won't let us refuse treatment to people who show up in the ER, our pocketbooks can only be stretched so far. Unless everyone pays a share you have one group (insured) paying for another group (uninsured).

Our Government, as most Governments in the civilized world, understands that the health of it's citizens is not something that can be ignored or left to chance or luck. Nor should one group pick up the slack for another.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Maybe you are all right and im just paranoid. But, i have a bad feeling about this ... and that is all I am going to say any more on this issue.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:52 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
It still should be their choice! The government can't run anything very efficiently. Look at the DMV, public schools, Social Security, IRS...etc...
Last I checked, the government does many things well. My public schools are good, libraries clean and stocked, streets and freeways in reasonable condition, SS works well so far, no problems at the DMV recently... most of my recent problems have been with privately owned companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity