Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,030 times

Advertisements

I think its really easy to say "yeah, everyone should have health insurance", when you get health insurance through work, or have the mony to pay for insurance. Sadly thats not the case for many American. Many elderly people do not have to means for health insurance and barely get by as it is because the economy and ways of living have changed so drastically. My grandfather can not find a job as an electrician since his last company had to lay him off for lack of work. I pay his bills now and keep a roof over his head. I can't afford to buy myself, my kids, and him health insurance on top of my bills and his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 07:57 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,444,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, that darn old devil government! They already make me buy car insurance and pay registration. What next? Communism?
You aren't 'required' to own a car,you can walk,take a bus, taxi,or bum rides from your friends..You can share a car with your mom,sister,and aunt bessie to pool the costs.You can drive an old car,just get liability and keep your costs down.Car insurance is also quite cheap relative to the cost of health insurance.A car can enable you to get to a job to 'pay' for your car insurance.

If the govt requires you to buy insurance for your family and it costs $1000. per month and you dont have an 'extra' grand a month lying around you may have to let your home be foreclosed on and move your family into a box in the woods to afford your health insurance.For many familes it may pay to 'do the math' and intentionally get a job paying less so that you can take advantage of the subsidies available to those in a slightly lower income brackets,adding cost to the govt and reducing the amount of money the federal govt recieves in tax revenue.

As the plan is shaping up now those who don't have insurance and dont buy it will be fined anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand a year.I suppose being forced to choose between paying $12,000. a year.....and living in the woods,or paying $300.-$3000. in 'new defacto taxes',and still being un insured i'll take the latter.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,553,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
And here comes the real "strings that are attached". Mandatory vaccinations, and next thing you know, mandatory checkups and institutionalized programs for physical rehabilitation etc ... Say goodbye to holistic remedies and things that actually work as cures instead of simply treating the symptoms like most prescribed treatments and meds.

Sometimes i think people would follow the government right off a cliff the whole time thinking it was the right thing to do ...
Yes so any health care policy, forced or not, should include holistic care or alternative medicine for those of us that feel it is important to treat the cause not the symptom.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stclove View Post
I think its really easy to say "yeah, everyone should have health insurance", when you get health insurance through work, or have the mony to pay for insurance. Sadly thats not the case for many American. Many elderly people do not have to means for health insurance and barely get by as it is because the economy and ways of living have changed so drastically. My grandfather can not find a job as an electrician since his last company had to lay him off for lack of work. I pay his bills now and keep a roof over his head. I can't afford to buy myself, my kids, and him health insurance on top of my bills and his.
We have a form of socialized healthcare already in the US for the elderly, it is called Medicare and Medicaid.

More importantly is that the cost of some healthcare policies is as low as the cost of my cable TV bill... but you will be responsible for the deductible which would be very high but that is just like having the least amount of coverage on your car.

The problem is that some of these people you speak of have been denied health insurance due to pre-existing conditions. Any reform that becomes law should solve that problem as well.

Another problem in our healthcare system is people going to the doctor for minor problems that can be solved by bedrest and those who abuse the system by treating it like their drug dealer...

If all people were covered under a group or blanket policy that would solve the problem of pre-existing conditions, but then young/healthy people would pay the same amount as older/unhealthy people...

So what do you do? What do people think is fair?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
You aren't 'required' to own a car,you can walk,take a bus, taxi,or bum rides from your friends..You can share a car with your mom,sister,and aunt bessie to pool the costs.You can drive an old car,just get liability and keep your costs down.Car insurance is also quite cheap relative to the cost of health insurance.A car can enable you to get to a job to 'pay' for your car insurance.

If the govt requires you to buy insurance for your family and it costs $1000. per month and you dont have an 'extra' grand a month lying around you may have to let your home be foreclosed on and move your family into a box in the woods to afford your health insurance.For many familes it may pay to 'do the math' and intentionally get a job paying less so that you can take advantage of the subsidies available to those in a slightly lower income brackets,adding cost to the govt and reducing the amount of money the federal govt recieves in tax revenue.

As the plan is shaping up now those who don't have insurance and dont buy it will be fined anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand a year.I suppose being forced to choose between paying $12,000. a year.....and living in the woods,or paying $300.-$3000. in 'new defacto taxes',and still being un insured i'll take the latter.
Well if you think about it and all people have to be covered and pay a premium everymonth but you don't... then shouldn't you have a penalty of some kind? What if you have a heart attack and we (the rest of the people paying into the insurance pool) pay the bill because you can't afford it or don't have insurance. Don't you think that is reasonable?

On another note.. Doing anything like that when we are already heavily in debt is not the smartest idea IMO

Old 12-13-2009, 11:13 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,054,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Basically, a provision in the current health care debate could become law whereby all Americans are obligated to buy health care insurance if it's not provided for you and your family by your job, or if you are uninsured at present. The Fed promises the premiums will be affordable but we know better! Point being, if this law passes would uninsured Christians be obligated under the Pauline doctrine in Romans 13:5 to obey even if it meant they had to cut to the bone on everything else to pay the premiums?
People have to buy car insurance and you don't get out of that.. I think health insurance for every American is necessary. We are the only industrialized country to not cover in some way all of its citizens.. That is a crime. When my parents spent a year in England even they were covered under the British health system even though they were American citizens.

When a country doesn't have a plan to cover all its citizens its the poor, elderly and those with illness that fall though the cracks.

We need health reform and we need it now.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:37 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,444,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Well if you think about it and all people have to be covered and pay a premium everymonth but you don't... then shouldn't you have a penalty of some kind? What if you have a heart attack and we (the rest of the people paying into the insurance pool) pay the bill because you can't afford it or don't have insurance. Don't you think that is reasonable?

On another note.. Doing anything like that when we are already heavily in debt is not the smartest idea IMO
Right now 'all' people aren't covered...nor will they be apparently after this law is in effect.If you want 'all' the people covered then the only way this will get accomplished is for 'all' taxpayers to pay for it through taxes as is already done for certain income groups,[whether they pay taxes or not],and having the gov't run the thing.Fineing someone for 'not buying something' and then pretending its not a tax,[since the money goes to a private entity,not the gov't makes no sense].For 12 years ive paid all medical bills out of my pocket and it appears that once this law goes through thats what I will still have to do since I can't afford to spend $1000. a month for insurance,very small businesses still wont have to provide any money toward coverage,so I will in effect be slightly worse off than i am now since i'll have this new tax to pay in addition to my medical bills.

As for the nation being seriously in debt......I have no reason to believe that the plan being considered is going to make that situation any better,nor do most people.There is general agreement that all the plans being considered will add to the debt,not save the gov't ,ie us,any money but will add signficantly to the deficit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity