Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:17 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,982,074 times

Advertisements

Basically, a provision in the current health care debate could become law whereby all Americans are obligated to buy health care insurance if it's not provided for you and your family by your job, or if you are uninsured at present. The Fed promises the premiums will be affordable but we know better! Point being, if this law passes would uninsured Christians be obligated under the Pauline doctrine in Romans 13:5 to obey even if it meant they had to cut to the bone on everything else to pay the premiums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 04:23 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,409,006 times
Scary to think that any American would be required by the government to buy their health insurance. Creeps me out.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:25 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,282,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Scary to think that any American would be required by the government to buy their health insurance. Creeps me out.
Yeah, that darn old devil government! They already make me buy car insurance and pay registration. What next? Communism?

Old 08-07-2009, 04:28 PM

Yeah but car insurance is for the protection of the guy you might crash into! Big difference. Health care is supposed to be a personal choice thing. If Joe Schmoe chooses to not have insurance then that is his choice.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:44 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,906,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Yeah but car insurance is for the protection of the guy you might crash into! Big difference. Health care is supposed to be a personal choice thing. If Joe Schmoe chooses to not have insurance then that is his choice.
When a person get's in a car crash and is about to die and is taken in ambulance to the hospital, the hospital is then required to pay (treat them for free) if they don't have ins. Which in turn shows up in our cost of ins.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:58 PM

It still should be their choice! The government can't run anything very efficiently. Look at the DMV, public schools, Social Security, IRS...etc...

Old 08-07-2009, 05:05 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,589,375 times
I don't know. Considering the fact that uninsured people run the risk of spreading serious illness if they are not treated isn't it in the best interest of all of us to have everyone insured? If the government had the power to insure everyone I would hope they would require it. We shouldn't let ideology get in the way of common sense. And what does any of this have to do with being Christian?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:17 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,778,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I don't know. Considering the fact that uninsured people run the risk of spreading serious illness if they are not treated isn't it in the best interest of all of us to have everyone insured? If the government had the power to insure everyone I would hope they would require it. We shouldn't let ideology get in the way of common sense. And what does any of this have to do with being Christian?
And here comes the real "strings that are attached". Mandatory vaccinations, and next thing you know, mandatory checkups and institutionalized programs for physical rehabilitation etc ... Say goodbye to holistic remedies and things that actually work as cures instead of simply treating the symptoms like most prescribed treatments and meds.

Sometimes i think people would follow the government right off a cliff the whole time thinking it was the right thing to do ...

Old 08-07-2009, 06:18 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,982,074 times
I think...correct me if I'm wrong...but I think the OP's question was not the validity of government's right to make the law, but whether Christians' consciences' would compel them to go out and get the insurance, even at great cost to their already fragile finances.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:23 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,778,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think...correct me if I'm wrong...but I think the OP's question was not the validity of government's right to make the law, but whether Christians' consciences' would compel them to go out and get the insurance, even at great cost to their already fragile finances.
Indeed, in that case i would say that depends on what kind of government we have? And it would have to do something with whether or not America is truly a country/government of the people by the people. If that is truly the case, then at certain times civil disobedience is a necessary and integral part of our duties as citizens of America and beneficiaries of the constitutional republic for which it stands. I know what that means to me ... But i don't know what that means to other people ... Or even if most other people even know what that means at all anymore ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity