Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 PM

5,524 posts, read 7,361,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I didn't quite understand your meaning here Paul... could you rephrase?
I'll venture an interpretation:

Only the elect, knowing they are elect understand the doctrine of the elect and where the elect and non-elect are going.

The non-elect, not knowing the doctrine of the elect, don't know where they or anyone else is going.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 05:18 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,958,331 times
Quote:
According to the doctrines that teach this, quite the opposite should occur and those doctrines should contain people within their theological circles that are not justifying eternal hell through their belief that they are not predestined to go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I didn't quite understand your meaning here Paul... could you rephrase?

Basically I am saying this. If there is truth from "GOD" that predestination to ETERNAL Damnation is JUST and RIGHTEOUS then there should be those that have been given the truth that they are DAMNED FOREVER and they know it is JUST.

Truth from God should do that. However the ONLY ones justifying an eternal hell of the nature that God predestined someone there are the ones who believe they are AVOIDING it.

So we should witness a preacher teaching the GOOD NEWS of eternal Damnation knowing HE himself has been chosen to be damned. IF these Doctrines contain TRUTH from God then at least along with the stories of suicide and such, your should also find the opposite effect.

Truth from God along these lines should produce the damned, knowing they are damned and understanding Gods righteousness for such a thing and teaching the truth that God has given them in that manner.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:19 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,775,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I seriously doubt I qualify as "elect"

But, I'm trusting in the grace and mercy of a Loving Savior.

If I'm wrong. Well it's barbequed Oakback.

Sounds good ... ! (licks drooling chops while reaching for a knife and fork ) ... With a side of roasted ironmaw1776 on the side baby! Now thats deep south Cooking if you know what i mean!

Old 08-11-2009, 05:25 PM

5,524 posts, read 7,361,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Sounds good ... ! (licks drooling chops while reaching for a knife and fork ) ... With a side of roasted ironmaw1776 on the side baby! Now thats deep south Cooking if you know what i mean!
Yea. It's kinda like "bring a dish"
So far we have barbqued Oakback and Roasted Ironmaw1776.
We could use a side dish and dessert.
Anyone?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:26 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,545,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Some doctrines teach that there are some that will be damned for all eternity because God wills it.

They teach this from the perspective that this is a good thing because it pleases God to do this. They also teach it asserting that they are of the chosen few that are not damned.

Where are the believers who have been given the truth that they are of the damned? And if God has chosen them to damnation, why would that be a bad thing? Wouldn't the Fate given to anyone by God be something to rejoice in?

Where are the teachers that believe this knowing they are damned?

Sounds more like the doctrine of a charismatic cult leader.. of course he is the elect and if you give him your money your home, etc, you will also be one of the elect..

Gods will is that we all believe..
He is love, not hate..He is our loving father, not our fearsome dictator..

Old 08-11-2009, 05:30 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,362,253 times
Nobody in God's manor believes it .

Old 08-11-2009, 06:19 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,143,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Basically I am saying this. If there is truth from "GOD" that predestination to ETERNAL Damnation is JUST and RIGHTEOUS then there should be those that have been given the truth that they are DAMNED FOREVER and they know it is JUST.

Truth from God should do that. However the ONLY ones justifying an eternal hell of the nature that God predestined someone there are the ones who believe they are AVOIDING it.

So we should witness a preacher teaching the GOOD NEWS of eternal Damnation knowing HE himself has been chosen to be damned. IF these Doctrines contain TRUTH from God then at least along with the stories of suicide and such, your should also find the opposite effect.

Truth from God along these lines should produce the damned, knowing they are damned and understanding Gods righteousness for such a thing and teaching the truth that God has given them in that manner.

Thanks, got it!

As you say, there should be some who know they are damned and believe it is JUST and GOOD. But in reality the people who think they were predestined to be damned (like in Sven's post) don't believe it is JUST or GOOD -> in fact it leads them to depression/suicide.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 PM

63,961 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Predestinaton is human philosophical and illogical nonsense. All life is about becoming . . . and for us invested with free will . . . it is about choosing WHAT to become. The illogic of simply playing out a role pretermined in advance is part of the ridiculous confusion humans have created for themselves by assigning all the Omni's that God MUST have to deserve to be our God. Utter nonsense. God is continuously creating and the free will and creativity we are endowed with is an integral part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity