Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times

Advertisements

I wanted to get your thoughts on tithing.Why is it important or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 11:09 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,963,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Tithing is for those under the law. We are not under law but under grace. Tithing is not a requirement for us of the nations. However . . .

1Ti 5:18 for the scripture is saying: "A threshing ox you shall not be muzzling,and "Worthy is the worker of his wages."

1 Corinthians 9:9-12 CLV (9) For in the law of Moses it is written: "You shall not muzzle the threshing ox.Not for oxen is the care of God!" (10) Or is He undoubtedly saying it because of us? Because of us, for it was written that the plower ought to be plowing in expectation, and the thresher to partake of his expectation." (11) If, in expectation, we sow the spiritual in you, is it a great thing if we shall reap of your fleshly things? (12) If others are partaking of this right from you, are not rather we? Nevertheless we do not use this right, but we are forgoing all, lest we may be giving any hindrance to the evangel of Christ"

Galatians 6:6-7 CLV Now let him who is being instructed in the word be contributing to him who is instructing, in all good things." (7) Be not decived, God is not to be sneered at, for whatsoever a man may be sowing, this shall he be reaping also,

Any giving should be with a gleeful heart, not out of compulsion but out of love.

Last edited by Eusebius; 08-12-2009 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
I don't tithe.....its not realistic today, supporting a family on one salary and giving 10% to the church. I give what I can, but no way can I afford to give away 10% of my income to church and support my family.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,963,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I don't tithe.....its not realistic today, supporting a family on one salary and giving 10% to the church. I give what I can, but no way can I afford to give away 10% of my income to church and support my family.
Gal.6:6 says "in all good things" not just in money. You can tithe your time to help your pastor by mowing his lawn, or giving him some food or taking him to dinner or washing his car or taking some load off him by helping him in his duties.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:25 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,331 times
There is no scripture that supports given 10% of your monetary income to a church. And if you pay attention you will notice that the churches that preach the 10% minimum the hardest are usually the megachurches who are full of "comfy Christians" who come to an extravegant building every week to mix and mingle in a multi-million dollar facility, then drive past the poor and the hungry during the week without thinking twice about it.

Here is something on tithes I found a while back and bookmarked, it explains tithing:

Quote:
Four tithes.1)The Levitical tithe- those who raised crops gave 10% 6 of 7 years. Those that raised 10 or more animals gave each tenth animal.2)The Levites in turn had to give the best to the priests.3)The festival tithe required that those who raised crops or animals to set aside 10% for the annual festivals.4)The Poor tithe occurred only in the 3rd and 6th years of the seven year cycle. This was given TO the poor.tithes were always food and NEVER money.
Christians are NOT required to tithe.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,126,771 times
I believe tithing was only on food/grain produced, but not money, and I believe we are not required to tithe anymore. In some churches Tithing is used as a guilt trip (or threat) to "finance the church or go to hell". Read this if you want:

Tithing is Unscriptural Under the New Covenant

That's not to say we shouldn't still give generously to needy causes and/or the church.

Got loves a cheerful giver, not a forced tither.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:13 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
It's for God's Kingdom and spreading the gospel; the first 10th is holy; this has not changed because of the NT.

With that said, don't give your tithes, and love offerings, to just anyone. As much as reasonably possible, make sure it is truly going for God's work.

God's hands are tied for many Christians because they don't tithe.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:37 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
I think what's important is that you give out of love and without expecting anything in return..

Old 08-12-2009, 06:54 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,875 times
I personally would'nt tithe to a church where the Pastor does'nt have a job other than "pastoring", but that's just me! Yes, God called us to be loving and kind, not gullible....

Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,469 times
I do not tithe to a church, but that does not mean that I haven't or will not again. God lays on my heart to whom I need to give to, when I need to give it and what I need to give.

Sometimes I give money, other times it might be food, clothing or even furniture. Still at other times, it might be a shoulder to allow someone to lean on for strength.

I am a very cheerful giver, and the compulsion He lays on my heart leads me. It fills me up with warmth when I do this, and mostly, I give in secret....as it is for Gods glory and not mans nor for boasting and prideful feeling.

Blessings to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity