Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:06 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
you call the pope, holy father, don't you?

what about this:

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. (Mt. 23:9)

I consider Catholicism to be a diabolical and pagan cult
As a former Catholic...who ran from that pagan heresy....I absolutely agree with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Jesus was refering to Peter's confession, not about Peter himself.

Amazingly, those who make the argument for Peter as pope, just never use the same standard four verses later:

Matthew 16:23
Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

conclusion: If the Bible teaches that Peter is the pope, then the pope is Satan, a stumbling block aginst Jesus, and does not have in mind the things of God, but men.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Matthew 16:23
Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

conclusion: If the Bible teaches that Peter is the pope, then the pope is Satan, a stumbling block aginst Jesus, and does not have in mind the things of God, but men.
It shows that Peter was fallible, just as we are. All men have the carnal mind (which is the enemy of God) - that's why our Father is in heaven, not in Vatican City.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoneer View Post
I believe Jesus was speaking of himself when he said upon This rock will I build the church another verse refers to Jesus being the chief cornerstone and again the stone the builders have rejected. Jesus was only giving the similarities of Peters name to Jesus's own nature. As all must agree the church is built on Jesus not on Peter. Besides Peter proved time and again he couldnot stand up against the gates of hell, but Jesus did much more the gates of hell could not hold him it is in reference of his resurection.
Great explanation.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:14 PM

396 posts, read 598,312 times
There is no POPE in the Bible!

Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,198 times
Quote:

what about this:

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. (Mt. 23:9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
As a former Catholic...who ran from that pagan heresy....I absolutely agree with you
If you say that Catholicism is a pagan cult and a heresy, would you agree the everything that comes out of the Catholic church is pagan and a heresy as well?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:24 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times
Default Christ's church built on rock of revelation.

Although Peter was the chief apostle and was given the apostolic sealing power, he was not made pope of a church that would not even exist in his time.

In the context of Matthew 16 verses 15 through 19 it seems clear that what the Lord is referring to is the process of REVELATION, not Peter himself, as the rock upon which he would build his church.

Matt. 16: 15-19

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock (the rock of revelation from God the Father) I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/matt/16/15-19#15

Old 10-13-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:

what about this:

I absolutely agree and it was those very same pagans who rewrote and retranlsated the book that everyone so relies on which is filled with all of their dogma....this is a historical fact.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkwardlyapt View Post
If you say that Catholicism is a pagan cult and a heresy, would you agree the everything that comes out of the Catholic church is pagan and a heresy as well?
No...I'm sure there are some truly Godly people and priests that attend Catholic churches. But their masses and their rituals all have pagan backgrounds...that is a historical fact. The big question is, would one who was trying to be Godly and live a Godly life want to be involved in that?

My mother recently passed away and as I stated I was raised Catholic so she had a Catholic funeral. The priest had the audacity to tell my father that my mother would go to heaven just on the basis that she had suffered in her illness. There was nothing said about her belief in Christ and that she believed He was her Savior.

It's just those kinds of heresy that should keep people far away from it.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I absolutely agree and it was those very same pagans who rewrote and retranlsated the book that everyone so relies on which is filled with all of their dogma....this is a historical fact.
You are right. Every Christian religion that uses the Bible today owes it to the Catholic Church. There may not be a Bible today if it wasn't for the Catholic Church. So if you believe in the Bible, then you believe in something that is heretical. Where does that leave you?

And as for the Bible being filled with all the Dogmas of the Catholic faith, this is just not true. Not every single Dogma of the Catholic faith is in the Bible. Some, yes, but not all.

I am sorry about your mother, and sorry also that the Priest spoke as he did. I am more sorry, however, that you have assigned this stereotype to all Catholics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity